Fatal - MTOSport 5Y-KWV, Kenya 19 NOV 2020

I wonder who is training the pilots and to what syllabus / process / oversight. Looks like there is foreign involvement looking at the picture, assuming that picture is related.

Interesting article - can't imagine what happened to cause this end result. Looks like a hard impact. Condolence to family/friends.

There is another Kenyan pilot who trained in the UK at Rufforth. He flys Magni M24s on anti-poaching missions.

In terms of hulls involved in fatal accidents, AutoGyro-GmbH is the 'safest' of the factory-built machines.

Just under 1% [including the two fatals this month]

Magni 1.6%

ELA 4.5%

Last edited:
In terms of hulls involved in fatal accidents, AutoGyro-GmbH is the safest of the factory built machines.

Just under 1% [including the two fatals this month]

Magni 1.6%

ELA 4.5%

How do you arrive to those figures...?

My best estimates of fatals/machines

AutoGyro 31/3200
Magni 19.5/1285
ELA 27.5/623

[the .5 is to adjust for a French mid-air involving a Magni and an ELA]

My best estimates of fatals/machines

AutoGyro 31/3200
Magni 19.5/1285
ELA 27.5/623

[the .5 is to adjust for a French mid-air involving a Magni and an ELA]

I see, thanks...

May I know your sources for the numbers of machines and fatals...?

These sources are all incomplete, but are a start. I have had to dig very deep elsewhere to fill in the blanks.

http://www.rotorspot.nl/searchdb.php [incomplete, but an understanding of serial numbers can get closer to the true numbers]

Not wishing to discredit your data, but the one thing missing, and probably not available is the number of hours flown in each machine type.

Still very interesting data.

phil (de fer)

We can estimate that. In the UK it seems to be about 83 hours average [50 hours median].

No reason for the rest of the world not to be in that ballpark,

And putting it all together....

Global Big-3 Fatal Statistics (1).png

The "x"s are the actual number of fatal accidents each year [right-hand scale]

We can estimate that. In the UK it seems to be about 83 hours average [50 hours median].

No reason for the rest of the world not to be in that ballpark,

83 hours average and 50 median? Really? Per year per machine? How many machines? In the UK I'd say about 20 instructors account for 99% of the flying time.

The instructors certainly pull the average up, as we would expect, but not to the extent you suggest. There are a couple of private flyers who do in excess of 100 hours in the UK.

I basically dumped G-INFO and worked out average and median from the "Total Hours" field for each machine.

There are currently 217 factory-built gyros on the UK register.

For comparison, (for all US aircraft) NTSB figures from 2014 give

Personal Flying26.4fatalities per million hours
General Aviation13.1fatalities per million hours

from that perspective, modern gyros don't look too bad. And my figures are global, don't forget, including accidents in places like Iran, Kazakhstan and the Middle East.

I also think gyros disproportionately attract "crazies", who sadly inflate the accident stats.

In some countries I've no doubt that modern gyros are the safest way to fly.

Last edited: