Fatal - Magni M16 ZU-BDY, Laingsburg, Western Cape Province, South Africa

TyroGyro

Aircraft
MTO Sport
Total Flight Time
Engine failure, unsuccessful forced landing followed by fire, passenger killed, pilot seriously injured.

Pilot's experience: 190 hours {looks like medical had expired]

Sincere condolences to all affected.

Last edited:

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
4000+ 380 gyroplanes. Sport CFI Gyro and Trikes
My condolences to friends and family. Sad news.

gyrojockey

It is admirable that the SA authorities should release a detailed preliminary report within weeks of the accident.

However, it is possible that the reported ATF expiry of "31 March 2021" is a mis-print.

Elsewhere, in the body of the report, it is twice recorded as "31 May 2021", which would be valid at the time of the accident [3 May 2021]

his ATF expired on 31 March 2020 - not 2021

besides that his previous unreported nose wheel accident would have automatically invalidated any current ATF

Attachments

• Capture5.PNG
    Capture5.PNG
    24.3 KB · Views: 9

TyroGyro

Aircraft
MTO Sport
Total Flight Time
OK, I see where I went wrong (forgot what year we are in !)

It does say 31 May 2020 twice though. But agreed, expired, if this is accurate.

DavePA11

No trees or other obstacles at the emergency landing spot. Would have thought it would have been possible to land there with engine out. Maybe he was landing like fixed wing given previous Issue with nose wheel?

gyrojockey

No trees or other obstacles at the emergency landing spot. Would have thought it would have been possible to land there with engine out. Maybe he was landing like fixed wing given previous Issue with nose wheel?
possibly, although it looks like he hit the rock in the bottom left of picture. (see "scratch marks" label in fig5")

I'm leaning towards behind the curve, in the report he was observed from above & from the ground flying LOW & SLOW - not something you do in an engine out or emergency condition! maybe he was busy restarting engine & got distracted? he also never made a radio call?

golden rule:
aviate
navigate
communicate

1.1.8 The pilot of the ZU-RHI gyrocopter stated that he took off last. He intended to catch up with the other four gyrocopters in front of him. About 10 to 15 minutes after he took off, he spotted the ZU-BDY gyrocopter flying at a very low speed; thereafter, it suddenly went down.

1.1.10 A witness who was at his house, located near the accident site, stated the following: I was at home when I noticed the gyrocopter flying very low and, soon after, it started going down very quickly. I then heard noise and saw some smoke.