FATAL - Cavalon G-CKYT, near Avoch, Scotland, UK 12 NOV 2020

TyroGyro

Aircraft
MTOsport G-IROD
Total Flight Time

Very sad. My old training ground in the Highlands. Student pilot's second solo.

My sincere condolences to all affected. RIP

Far too early to say.

All kinds of early reports at the moment. "Engine struggling", "Prop flew off", "Attempting to land at a model-aircraft launch site..."

Let the authorities do their work.

Only the 4th modern-generation fatal in the UK in the past 20 years. The third, if we discount the bizarre, freak ground incident in 2009...

Last edited:
Far too early to say.

All kinds of early reports at the moment. "Engine struggling", "Prop flew off", "Attempting to land at a model-aircraft launch site..."

Let the authorities do their work.

Only the 4th modern-generation fatal in the UK in the past 20 years.
“Prop flew off” Tyro please keep us informed of this, assuming it was a VP ? God that’s terrible and a student pilot ...very sad RIP aviator

Condolences to family and friends. Sorry to hear this sad news.

Greg - What is meant by "assuming it was a VP" related to prop? Thanks. Very sad.

Greg - What is meant by "assuming it was a VP" related to prop? Thanks. Very sad.
Well if it was a variable pitch prop that say became faulty or it’s controller malfunctioned and it over pitched and it did come apart or off ?what a terrible set of circumstances for a new student to deal with ..a schooled pilot would see the engine rpm drop and lack of power and could pull the prop circuit breaker to prohibit any further movement on the prop pitch .... I like to keep it simple for new students
a vp is demanding for a new student and having to set up for take of (say fine ) and then in the cruise (downwind) he goes to a higher pitch? not saying this was the case? this addition work load takes the students mind off flying.

I could go on a bit but this is not a class where we can debate all the aspects of solo, it’s just terrible and I’m sure if he was second solo he was not trained to understand how to deal with a vp controller going rogue? But this is all speculation.

for me keep it simple ....and this is why I love the M16 for basic training and I don’t think a Cavalon is the right machine for A-B initio, and I have raised before.

FWIW, I heard the following from a good source.

The machine was tracked by radar at a speed of 160kts (184mph) immediate prior to the crash,

second solo probably low winds

second solo probably low winds

I've heard the 2nd solo element mentioned by about half a dozen people. Is that fact? Just that I don't fully "get" or equate 2nd solo flight and where he was geographically v the airfield. Normally 2nd solo is just bashing the circuit surely?

It certainly makes for a more dramatic newspaper story...

I've heard the 2nd solo element mentioned by about half a dozen people. Is that fact? Just that I don't fully "get" or equate 2nd solo flight and where he was geographically v the airfield. Normally 2nd solo is just bashing the circuit surely?
my comment was reference the OP which stated second solo,.

It certainly makes for a more dramatic newspaper story...
Not really it wouldn’t be a term or phrase or focus for a journalist- so it’s come from someone with knowledge of the situation

Normally 2nd solo is just bashing the circuit surely?
What is supposed to happen.

One of Tony’s students on his 1st solo circuit did a touch and go, against instructions, did a circuit, then departed on the crosswind for the local area ignoring instructions to return.

Lost control in the local area, did a push over, came vertically down and was killed.

High time ex BA Captain who throughout training had exhibited extreme impatience, and early conviction that he knew how to fly a gyro.

Yep can happen. Be interesting to see (maybe in 2022) what the AAIB report. In the meantime it is just something that struck me as odd.