Fatal - Cavalon G-CKYT, Scotland, UK

TyroGyro

Aircraft
MTO Sport
Total Flight Time

EI-GYRO

21st Century Crankhandler
Thank you, TG. Very interesting. Would be interesting to see the instructors notes, but I guess we shall not.
All sounds disconcertingly Bensen-esque.
I wouldn't make a big deal about this accident except for the fact that there are other unexplained departures from controlled flight involving this type. Thanks again.

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
It's kind of funny that the official report calls it a "Cavaron".
Center of gravity too far aft... "uncommanded takeoff"... what was the pilot thinking? I guess no one will ever know.

loftus

Aircraft
Aircam
Total Flight Time
700 hours
It's kind of funny that the official report calls it a "Cavaron".
Center of gravity too far aft... "uncommanded takeoff"... what was the pilot thinking? I guess no one will ever know.
I have to assume here that by 'uncommanded takeoff' is meant 'uncontrolled', essentially loss of control during taekoff

NJpilot

Gold Supporter
I read the report and unless I missed it, there is no mention of altitude. Maybe it's one of the Japanese annotations on the map? Does anybody know how high he was when the tumble started?

Greg Vos

Aircraft
R44/22 H269/300 MD 500 Magni (all); Xenon RST; DTA; ELA; MTO
Total Flight Time
Stoped counting at 3000
I have to assume here that by 'uncommanded takeoff' is meant 'uncontrolled', essentially loss of control during taekoff
What was he doing in the cockpit if he did not have at least the minimum skill set (ie: solo exp) seem this accident was a real tragedy

EI-GYRO

21st Century Crankhandler
He got halfway round the pattern before he came unstuck, so I would guess it was not loss of control on takeoff.
We don't know whether he had solo'ed during his training ON TYPE in Germany, but he must have been reasonably familiar with the machine.
We don't know his previous flying experience, if any.
Clearly the takeoff was unintentional, but that does not necessarily mean uncontrolled, although it might be.
Light weight and aft hang angle might have produced a bit of perceptual confusion and uncertainty regarding pitch attitude.
A pitch reference on the cabin windscreen near horizon height would be helpful in this regard. A + etched on the screen directly in front of each pilot position would be good, and might reduce a lot of misaligned landing upsets. I mounted such an item on my Bensen and found it very helpful
in pitch reference, particularly in turns.

More questions than answers.

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
What should be investigated...if posible, his general attitude towards gyro flying, any previous experience with either fixed wing, gliding, p-parachute, or helicopter.

Previous flying experience tends to instil overconfidence of ability to cope ahead of actual experience of the ‘dangerous’ differences if one is not aware of them.