Fatal - AutoGyro MT-03S G-2347, Kinglake National Park, Victoria, Australia 21 DEC 2013

TyroGyro

Aircraft
MTO Sport
Total Flight Time

231213_gyrocopterjordanpangskynews.jpg

Instructor pilot on a short scenic flight crashed in trees. Both the 51-yro pilot and 18-yro passenger were killed.

In Australia it seems, due to bureaucratic wrangling and buck-passing, gyro accidents are seldom investigated in any depth - if at all - by aviation authorities. An astonishing state of affairs for a First-World country.

However, I have located the Coronial Inquest record for the instructor pilot, which is a very thorough investigation and makes for interesting reading.

Last edited:

DavePA11

Make sure you have insurance for your family if you crash and hurt someone else. My wife’s doctor bill not including hospital or other services after being in the ICU for 3weeks is $340,000 and luckily my medical insurance is picking up most of it. I suspect costs will be over $1m since Lisa will be in hospital for next 3 months with similar level of care.

However, my medical insurance lawyers are going after everyone possible to recoup the money paid out to cover her medical costs. They get first dibs on money recovered.

Can only imagine what the lawyers for medical insurance covering a passenger hurt in a gyrocopter would do to recoup costs. So make sure you have good insurance to cover this situation…

Not sure I want to carry any passengers after this experience. Never realized how agressive some of these lawyers can be representing medical insurance companies.

Thankful I found an attorney to help recoup costs I have to pay out that isn’t covered by medical insurance. You wouldn’t believe how complex this can be. First time I am grateful for working with a lawyer. Always had negative opinion of the profession.

Last edited:

N962GT

Aircraft
YG4 Air Command Tandem
Total Flight Time
800 hrs
Make sure you have insurance for your family if you crash and hurt someone else. My wife’s doctor bill not including hospital or other services after being in the ICU for 3weeks is $340,000 and luckily my medical insurance is picking up most of it. I suspect costs will be over $1m since Lisa will be in hospital for next 3 months with similar level of care.

However, my medical insurance lawyers are going after everyone possible to recoup the money paid out to cover her medical costs. They get first dibs on money recovered.

Can only imagine what the lawyers for medical insurance covering a passenger hurt in a gyrocopter would do to recoup costs. So make sure you have good insurance to cover this situation…

Not sure I want to carry any passengers after this experience. Never realized how agressive some of these lawyers can be representing medical insurance companies.

Thankful I found an attorney to help recoup costs I have to pay out that isn’t covered by medical insurance. You wouldn’t believe how complex this can be. First time I am grateful for working with a lawyer. Always had negative opinion of the profession.
We used to have to sign a waiver at every track we raced at. The joke was that it would never stand up in court, no matter what you sign you can still sue. That being said, it still makes sense to have passengers sign a legal waiver before taking them up, no matter if you are insured or not. What that will do is provide your legal rep with at least some ammo to go to court with, instead of just letting it all hang out.