Fatal AR1 crash 12/16/2020

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
3600+ .. New to gyroplanes
Guys. We have to be patient because thankfully there isn't a fire and if the EFIS is even partially intact, we will have G-force, engine RPM, rotor RPM, Airspeed and Altitude recorded every second. We have a video as well that will go to NTSB labs. It will all come together. In the end it will be the numbers that tell the story along with the video once processed.

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
an update - the NTSB Preliminary states

""On December 16, 2020, about 1417 mountain standard time, a SilverLight Aviation LLC AR-1 gyroplane, N261MD, was substantially damaged when it was involved in an accident near Heber City, Utah. The pilot was fatally injured. The gyroplane was operated as a Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight.According to multiple witnesses and videos taken from the airport, the gyroplane lifted off from runway 22. About 10 seconds later, the gyroplane climbed quickly followed about 2 seconds later by a right turn. The gyroplane maneuvered momentarily then descended and pitched nose down towards the ground just before impact. The gyroplane came to rest in a concrete drainage ditch, about 390 ft north of the airport. All major components, except for two sections of rotor blade and one propeller blade tip, were found in a small debris field of about 50 ft by 50 ft around the wreckage. The two main rotor pieces and the propeller tip were found at an undetermined distance away from the wreckage. The main rotor system and an upper section of mast had separated from the fuselage. The gyroplane was relocated to a secure location for further examination""

DavePA11

It also states "All major components, except for two sections of rotor blade and one propeller blade tip, were found in a small debris field of about 50 ft by 50 ft around the wreckage.", but the rotor blades seems in tack at debris field. Also, I don't see the rudder in the debris field which I would consider a major component.

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
They appear to be with the fuselage in the wreckage photos?
View attachment 1150666

I think what they mean is that the upper mast (2 x 2 tubing) had broken clear off and of course that is due to final impact with the ground. However the upper control rods have remained connected to the rotor-head still all bent up etc. If this was a folding mast with plates, the upper mast would have broken up clear in the air due to extreme amounts of shake and that would be as expected and it has no bearing on final result either way and does not mean there is any weakness for flight loads in folding mast plates etc.

I can even guess that the blade that is high off the ground is the first one to impact the ground and the one that is dug in now at rest is the second. The one up in the air has hit something hard and solid first because the trailing edge has come open on it. Having done surgery of some Averso rotor extrusion, that takes a lot to get that to happen. Rudder was found within the 50 x 50 debris I believe. We safety wire a retainer in the rudder installation that seems to keep even a rudder that has lost its upper hinge retainer with the lower keel till impact. Have seen that before with flapping accident where a pilot flew an AR-1 after flapping and hitting the rudder on the top breaking off the top hinge. Not that that is what happened here.

Last edited:

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
an update - the NTSB Preliminary states

""All major components, except for two sections of rotor blade and one propeller blade tip, were found in a small debris field of about 50 ft by 50 ft around the wreckage. The two main rotor pieces and the propeller tip were found at an undetermined distance away from the wreckage.""
I interpret this as two sections of the rotor blade and a propeller tip were not found in the small debris field indicating a possible inflight separation before impact.

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
Oh I see now... they meant the two (presumably small) pieces of the "main rotor", but it looks like they are saying the two main pieces of the rotor.
Why do so many folks call it the "main rotor" when there is only one rotor??

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
Oh I see now... they meant the two (presumably small) pieces of the "main rotor", but it looks like they are saying the two main pieces of the rotor.
Why do so many folks call it the "main rotor" when there is only one rotor??

Yeah English isn't exactly the best language for describing things precisely. In fact its one of the worst ones I know. But they could have done better. Two small pieces of "main" rotor blade system and a propeller tip were found elsewhere. Its like reading Rotax Maintenance manual in Germish. Yeah main rotor like gyroplanes have a tail rotor also. Typical

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
English isn't really that bad, but you have to be careful if you want to avoid any confusion, particularly with punctutation, and gov't employees aren't particularly good at that. I spent a TON of time at my last job rewriting Army orders and reports. Having someone (knowledgable) proofread what you write before you publish it is essential, IMO.
In this case, there was no reason to call it the "main rotor". It just confused things. And to be really correct (punctuation-wise) they should have hyphenated it to "the two main-rotor pieces", which would also have avoided the confusion.

Last edited:

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
English isn't really that bad, but you have to be careful if you want to avoid any confusion, particularly with punctutation, and gov't employees aren't particularly good at that. I spent a TON of time at my last job rewriting Army orders and reports. Having someone (knowledgable) proofread what you write before you publish it is essential, IMO.
In this case, there was no reason to call it the "main rotor". It just confused things. And to be really correct (punctuation-wise) they should have hyphenated it to " the two main-rotor pieces", which would also have avoided the confusion.

I am guilty of that myself but I speak 4 languages. That is my excuse and I am sticking to it

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
Or if you hate hypens, you can just say "the two pieces of the main rotor". Word order is usually pretty important in english; I know that's not the case in many other languages (as I recall from my HS latin).