Fastest AR-1 Gyroplane

GK2

Check out This Silverlight Aviation American ranger AR-1. This GYRO has the edge Performance rotax 912 Turbo with an impressive power to weight ratio. Check with Greg Spicola if you want To ride in This powerful gyro.
It should also be at This years Bensen days event at Wauchula Florida 2021. If you want to purchase one check with Abid at Silverlight Aviation. https://silverlightaviation.com/

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
That Edge conversion is the Dog’s bollocks. Expensive but a quality upgrade.

That is a sweet performer, nothing like a bit of extra grunt in a well designed gyro, and I don’t know if that was Greg flying but he is a pretty good stick.

GyroPaul

Aircraft
Fisher Celebrity (Biplane) Single seat Dominator
Looks like Greg flying and Chris in the back. Love the climb out with two people.

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Kitfox IV / F1 Rocket / Magni M-16 / Beech 18
Total Flight Time
500+
So, how fast is "fast" ?

loftus

Aircraft
Aircam
Total Flight Time
700 hours
Awesome! I'm getting ready to do the Edge Fuel Injection. Don't need the HP, just tired of those carbs.

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
3600+ .. New to gyroplanes
It may be the fastest Vh AR-1 out there meaning yes it is still going straight and level at 122 mph though Greg mentioned that at that speed his current prop pitch is not enough and the prop blades unload enough to go past 5800 RPM so he needs to add more pitch. But remember the Vne of AR-1 is 105 knots or 120 mph and sustained fast cruise is recommended at 86 knots or 100 mph. The higher HP gets you shorter takeoff roll and higher climb rates. That is the main benefit of higher HP. Greg said the same thing to me that he has never flown a gyro that feels this powerful including his very light Dominator with 100 HP Hirth or the other gyros with 165 HP Subaru etc.

I think the pitch in Averso is 2.5 degrees on the blades and its a 8.6 m (28.2 feet) rotor system. Not sure what rotor RPM Greg is seeing at 122+ mph. I will have to ask. Most likely he would have to be around 140+ mph to be at risk of flap.

At that speed the power setting is very high and its guzzling more gas than a Hummer. Not something you would want in a real world XC environment. I think if I remember Chris told me they are doing 100 mph at 4800 RPM on the engine burning 5 or so GPH

Last edited:

GK2

So, how fast is "fast" ?
Do you want the real numbers or the Dominion software numbers? If using Dominion software to calibrate and calculate the numbers it will be more than Triple, making Top speed around 450 knots. Especially at night. 😃

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
The higher HP gets you shorter takeoff roll and higher climb rates.
Exactly. Spot on.

Gyro’s are notoriously inefficient flying machines, this can be improved with wings that provide supplemental lift...as in the Fairy Rototdyne and Carter Copter, where the rotor angle of attack/induced drag can be reduced. But in most cases with more conventional gyro designs more power does not equate to higher speed...without a massively increased fuel flow... since the coefficient of lift is large when the angle of attack is large, and induced drag inversely proportional to the square of the speed, while all other types of drag are directly proportional to the square of the speed.

Last edited: