Far Superior CFI's?

MadMuz

Aircraft
Open Gyro, Grumman AA5, Cessna
Total Flight Time
Which CFI do you think is Far Superior.:cool:... or even Far Inferior:eek: and why?
What made you choose the instructor you did? Proximity to you? Recommendation from others? what's the story?

fancy is not always the best

fancy is not always the best

As to the worse, when I started taking lessons back in the 70's I went to the modern Cessna Flight Center at the Gulfport Airport, they had brand new 152's. Got a young instructor fresh out of the military, we flew over to the barrier islands right off the coast and he instructed me to make a 360 and to recover facing the same island we started with, Well, you can imagine the sensory overload, terrified of heights, death grip on the yoke, and trying to maintain altitude, I ended up leveling off facing the wrong island, OMG he went off on me, you would have thought I had insulted his momma. Anyway, after landing I quit and walked across the airfield to a little run down building with an old Cessna 150, in bad need of a paint job where I met Clay Sizemore, what a great instructor. The only problem I had was he stuttered. On my first attempt to land he kept saying fla, fla, fla...... Again, scared to death, death grip and screaming back, WHAT, WHAT WHAT?????? I never stopped laughing about that 40 years later. But a great and patient CFI.

As to the best I have experienced is Craig McPherson. Very patient, very informative and always keeps you smiling while flying. He has taught my wife in PPC's, they both still laugh about those days, and is currently working with me on the AutoGyro we just purchased. And best of all he does not stutter. LMAO

I learned to fly in 1978 in Grumman AA1, AA5 and AA5B Tiger (170 4 seat) at Tauranga airport in New Zealand, at 'Pegasus School of Aviation' by a gentleman by the name of Wally Christopherson (cant remember spelling) he was awesome, only a little guy, reminded me of Mr Magoo, but a great teacher... Very patient, great teacher.... I have tried to look him up, but I guess he has gone, as is 'Pegasus' ..... as are all of the planes (ZK-DIA, ZK-DLH, ZK-DLK) all on the NZ register as lost to accidents etc.

Wally was a great instructor, to me he was far superior.... he helped me survive and gave me good skills and respect for flying. Thank you Wally.:yo:

I did my Checkride for private sel with a old time guy in Anchorage Alaska. He had the shakes really bad. But when he took the controls to show me something he was smooth as silk and what a nice guy. It was like flying with a kind grandfather totally great experience.

I took flight lessons in a Piper Tomahawk. My first lesson I noticed I had a screamer. Yelled all the way on the first taxi to climb out. After 10 minutes of this BS....I let go of the yoke and crossed my arms. I told my instructor to take it back to the airport. I was NOT going to pay him to cuss me out. He flew it back and I finished saying he had a serious attitude problem.

He must have gotten an attitude adjustment as he apologized and ended up being a very calm instructor after that. He went on to see me pass my checkride.

I did my training for Private SEL in a Piper Warrior at U42, which was Salt Lake #2 at the time. The plane was owned by CFI Stan Sullivan. He is a very calm, soft spoken and easy going guy. Very good instructor. I took my check ride with just 42 hours of training.
All of my gyroplane instructors are Far Superior as far as I'm concerned... Steve McG, Desmon and Michael B.

I've always dreamed of flying and being a pilot as a kid. Didn't really get near a plane until I was at grad school in Boston. There a guy had a sailplane sitting in the middle of the lawn right in front of the student center. Turned out he was recruiting new members to the MIT soaring association. His name was John Wren. When I showed up at the airfield, he had me push planes around, fetch the tow rope and assisst in take-offs. After a while he gave me my first flight in a Schweitzer 2-33. It was pure magic.

I remember him demonstrating and then having me perform some push overs to experience negative g's. I didn't really have a problem until, after landing, I saw him carrying a baseball bat when he exited the glider. I asked him what that was all about, and he told me that he had it as a safe guard. Once he demonstrated negative g's to another student and he clammed all up around the stick. John couldn't intervene from the back seat because the student had curled up around the stick. He had to knock him out. From that time on he always carries a bat when demonstrating that maneuver. I didn't know whether to laugh or scream.

He was a great instructor, as were all the others at MITSA. Instruction was free, they didn't get a dime for their time and effort. Gliders were free to students, too. You only paid for the tow, and that was 16 bucks up to 3000 feet. What a great time!

-- Chris.

There really isn't a far superior CFI, it is only a matter of opinion.

Like having an apple pie, pecan pie, pumpkin pie, cherry pie, and a turd pie.
We can probably all agree that the turd pie is one we don't want (even though, how many times have you said "this tastes like ****" and somebody had to take a bite to see for themselves?). But of the other four, which one is far superior?

But, to answer the question, by far, Ron Menzie.

I went to him with absolutely no experience. He looked my machine over, we did a hang test, and he flew it with me. What more can you ask for?

Agreed Mike.
I think the Far Superior in this thread is just a tongue-in-cheek reference to that drama thread. It's a really light hearted way to call attention, and give accolades, to all of our great CFIs.
Thanks very much, Muz, for starting this thread.

Last edited:
Yes, our CFIs do deserve recognition.

But believe me Glenn, you really don't want the turd pie.

I'm a terrific CFI.
Humble and modest, too.

Clearly Pecan Pie is superior.

Best CFI I ever had was Nick Markham teaching me in a PA28 at 3N6.

I was lucky all my CFIs are superior in order as they appear in my log book Gary Goldsberry ,Greg Grimminger, Terry Eiland, Steve Mcgowen, Rich Marshall
and of course 20 hrs with Super Dave, Mike Silano and Maxie W all BFIs and Helicopter Cfis Dexter and Johnny Trent
I learned somthing from each one of them that has stuck with me, hopefully I can pass it on.

F.W.
1st Instructor...apathetic...was waiting to get his acceptance to become a Navel Aviator...told me always to "shoot for the numbers". (He later washed out of the program).

2nd Instructor...Looked like Groucho's brother...acted the same.

3rd Instructor... Really looked like Rodney Dangerfield's brother...acted the same.

Attachments

• groucho.jpg
    groucho.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Rodney.jpg
    Rodney.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 0