FAASTeam Seminars - FAA Wings Program

okikuma

As an informal survey, how many Rotary Wing Forum members including CFIs attend the FAASTeam Seminars and participate in the FAA Wings program? I'm an active participant. I'm constantly reinforcing the knowledge that I have gained, and I always learn something new at each seminar and webinar. I receive much enjoyment in participating.

For those forum members who have yet to participate, I absolutely recommend one should do so. Participation is absolutely FREE!

Here's one FAASTeam hybrid seminal/webinar titled, Understanding SoCal / LA Center Airspace that I plan on attending by Zoom on 20 FEB 2024.

Wayne

FAASTeam Seminars - FAA Wings Program

Title: Pulling the Curtain Back - An Inside Look at Air Traffic Control- Hybrid Event
Topic: Understanding SoCal / LA Center Airspace
Date and Time: Tuesday, February 20, 2024, starting at 18:30 Pacific Standard Time Download Calendar File
Speaker(s): Robert Marks and Sally Kloman
Brief Description: This is a customized presentation on local ATC procedures and airspace designs presented by Robert Marks and Sally Kloman (SoCal/LA center and TRACON Air Traffic Controllers). They will also discuss the complex maze of flying in SoCal/LA Center's Airspace and new procedures. They will also be discussing career opportunities in the FAA. Robert and Sally are also soliciting questions or concerns to be addressed in advance of the presentation. Send your questions or requests to Robert Marks at: [email protected] or call (760) 458-2153.
Refreshments Provided
Prior to attending a safety seminar in person, please review and abide by Current CDC, State and Local Health Guidelines.
Select Number: WP21126668
Location of Seminar: EAA Chapter 1 Hanger 16A, 4130 Mennes Ave, Jurupa Valley, CA 92509
Directions to Venue: Event is being held at Flabob Airport, in Hanger 16A- directions below

From the 91 Fwy Southbound exit Mission Inn Ave. in Riverside, travel west to Wallace Street in Jurupa Valley. Turn left on Wallace St., continue straight and it will turn into Mennes Ave., then, turn Left into the airport. Continue through the front gate, and drive around the "winged horse" to the second gate. Continue straight and follow signs to the large EAA Stits hanger 16A.

From the 91 Fwy Northbound exit University Ave. and continue west until University turns into Redwood Drive and continue to Mission Inn Ave. Left Turn onto Mission Inn Ave. (over the bridge) and then turn west (left) on Wallace St. Continue as stated above.
This 2 hour meeting can be attended either in-person or online.
  • For in person attendance you can register below on this page.
  • To Join via Zoom attendees can use the following link:
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/89627042049?wd=MUdTTUZlSm1zSS9GeGVFandlWDd0Zz09

Meeting ID: 896 2704 2049 Passcode: CRD5kV Dial by your location +1 669 444 9171 US
Hybrid Seminar Length will be 2 hours.

View Map
Fly-in Seminar?: Yes KRIR
Seating: 100 seats at the facility, 79 remaining for online registration.
Registration Information: Click here to register online now!
Sponsoring Division: FAASTeam
Contact Information: LOREEN DEE WYNJA Phone: (951) 316-1583 [email protected]
Additional Event Information & Acknowledgement of Industry Sponsor(s): We would like to thank EAA Chapter 1 for graciously sponsoring this Hybrid Seminar/Webinar and making their facilities available. Additionally, we would like to thank Robert Marks and Sally Kloman for sharing their years of experience with SoCal/ LA Center and TRACON with our audience.
Equal Access Information: The FAA Safety Team (FAASTeam) is committed to providing equal access to this meeting/event for all participants. If you need alternative formats or services because of a disability, please communicate your request as soon as possible with the person in the “Contact Information” area of the meeting/event notice. Note that two weeks is usually required to arrange services.
Credit Applicability:
Basic WINGS

• 1 Credit for Basic Knowledge Topic 3
Advanced WINGS
  • 1 Credit for Advanced Knowledge Topic 2
Master WINGS
  • 1 Credit for Master Knowledge Topic 2
FAASTeam Project Information:
National Project:
Any Safety Event held based upon data/risk
Additional Event Documents:
bullet
WP21126668F.pdf

I attend FAAST (and EAA) seminars I find interesting. I'm unlikely to fly down to Los Angeles, so I won't go to that one, but they did a seminar on flying in to Truckee, for example, that I found interesting.

I have learned a lot from the FASTeam program and recommend it to all my friends.

I feel it makes a real difference in aviation risk mitigation.

One of the many things I love about aviation is that there is always more to learn.

The policy for my glider club (60 pilots) is that we ask our members to do all flight reviews through FAAST / Wings, so I'm regularly involved as both pilot and instructor. Many seminars are available via online Zoom links so travel is not necessary.

...This 2 hour meeting can be attended either in-person or online.
  • For in person attendance you can register below on this page.
  • To Join via Zoom attendees can use the following link:
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/89627042049?wd=MUdTTUZlSm1zSS9GeGVFandlWDd0Zz09

Meeting ID: 896 2704 2049 Passcode: CRD5kV Dial by your location +1 669 444 9171 US
Hybrid Seminar Length will be 2 hours...
I am not flying or driving to Flabob Airport KRIR either. I'll participate by Zoom.

Wayne

The policy for my glider club (60 pilots) is that we ask our members to do all flight reviews through FAAST / Wings, so I'm regularly involved as both pilot and instructor. Many seminars are available via online Zoom links so travel is not necessary.
JR,

That is an excellent policy for any aviation club.

Wayne

I do both as much as possible, it is difficult to be online for the live events. I wish they were recorded and immediately available for later viewing.

Quite a few are uploaded to the PRA website - thanks to Raul Salazar!

Conducting Preflight Self-Briefings for Student and VFR Pilots

Description: The number one causal factor for General Aviation accidents is inadequate preflight planning. This course was developed by Flight Service to provide student, and Visual Flight Rules (VFR) pilots, guidance on how to conduct a safe and regulatory compliant preflight self-briefing using automated weather resources. The objective is to ensure that the pilot understands aviation weather basics and learns to apply meteorological and aeronautical information in a systematic manner to plan a safe flight. The course includes scenarios, real-life examples, videos, references materials, and practice exercises for pilots to conduct on their own or with their CFI. The FAA encourages pilots to leverage automated resources and develop weather and aeronautical interpretation skills in order to assess flight safety risks.
Cost:No
Course Overview:Introduction
Course Content
Review

I'm a FAAST participant, mostly online, but occasionally in person when it's convenient.

Midair collisions between drones and traditional aircraft are on the rise. Since 2017, there have been at least six confirmed and another six probable drone collisions with airplanes, helicopters, and hot air balloons, causing significant damage. Most of these incidents happened to helicopters. These collisions have occurred mainly below 500 feet and some even in controlled airspace. Traditional aircraft always have the right of way over drones, but drone operators don’t always see and avoid in time. In this video, we discuss these critical issues to flight safety and provide some best practices for rotorcraft pilots.

LAANC is the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability, a collaboration between the FAA and industry. It directly supports UAS (drone) integration into the airspace. Learn more at https://bit.ly/UASLAANC.

If you are wondering what a worst-case scenario could be from a drone colliding with a helicopter, check out this clip from an episode of “Casualty” on BBC One that aired in 2016 at

I watched one of the FAAST videos on Helicopter Wake Turbulence recently. Being a newly minted helicopter pilot I knew about the hazards of downwash but never considered helicopters creating wake turbulence.
The video has eye opening footage of the effects helicopter wake turbulence.
It is listed as: ALC-932 if you are interested.

Rick