FAA Letter for Training

Rich Donnelly

Greetings; new guy here. I manage a flight school in Roanoke Va. We are researching an AR-1 gyroplane. Can anyone provide an example of an FAA Letter of Authority for Training, or some lessons learned in certifying an ELSA for training?

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Greetings; new guy here. I manage a flight school in Roanoke Va. We are researching an AR-1 gyroplane. Can anyone provide an example of an FAA Letter of Authority for Training, or some lessons learned in certifying an ELSA for training?
Welcome to the Rotary Wing Forum!

My Letter Of Deviation Authority (LODA) simply allows me to deviate from the operating limitations of my experimental amateur built gyroplane in that I can charge for flying it. I am limited in what I am allowed to do and a 100 hour inspection and an annual condition inspection by an A&P is required. I can only charge for lessons, not introductory flights and I am not allowed to solo students in my aircraft.

I dealt with the Van Nuys Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) to get my LODA and had to submit a syllabus and proof of my current status as a gyroplane flight instructor.

Your local FSDO will handle the paperwork and likes to know if an experimental gyroplane is operating in their area.

It took about two months to get the first one and then another six weeks to get one that allowed me to do initial training. The first one was written for an RV for tail wheel transition.

They FAA may have their program more together now.

Good luck on your gyroplane adventure.

Attachments

• 1s.jpg
    1s.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 2

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
My impression is that a LODA for training in Experimental gyros is typically issued for a particular CFI-aircraft combination (one CFI and one N-number). Thus, it isn't for a school as a whole as you might find for, say, Part 141 authorization. If anybody has contrary experience, I'd like to hear about it.

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
4000+ 380 gyroplanes. Sport CFI Gyro and Trikes
My impression is that a LODA for training in Experimental gyros is typically issued for a particular CFI-aircraft combination (one CFI and one N-number). Thus, it isn't for a school as a whole as you might find for, say, Part 141 authorization. If anybody has contrary experience, I'd like to hear about it.

not quite. LODA can be issued to an organization like a school or company. Under that LODA could be multiple Gyroplanes and multiple named CFIs. More machines and CFIs could be added at a later date as well.