FAA Issues General Aviation Medical Rule

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Staff member
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2600+ in rotorcraft
Beginning on May 1, pilots may take advantage of the regulatory relief in the BasicMed rule or opt to continue to use their FAA medical certificate. Under BasicMed, a pilot will be required to complete a medical education course, undergo a medical examination every four years, and comply with aircraft and operating restrictions. For example, pilots using BasicMed cannot operate an aircraft with more than six people onboard and the aircraft must not weigh more than 6,000 pounds. A pilot flying under the BasicMed rule must:
• possess a valid driver’s license;
• have held a medical certificate at any time after July 15, 2006;
• have not had the most recently held medical certificate revoked, suspended, or withdrawn;
• have not had the most recent application for airman medical certification completed and denied;
• have taken a medical education course within the past 24 calendar months;
• have completed a comprehensive medical examination with a physician within the past 48 months;
• be under the care of a physician for certain medical conditions;
• have been found eligible for special issuance of a medical certificate for certain specified mental health, neurological, or cardiovascular conditions, when applicable;
• consent to a National Driver Register check;
• fly only certain small aircraft, at a limited altitude and speed, and only within the United States; and
• not fly for compensation or hire.
The July 15, 2016 FAA Extension, Safety, and Security Act of 2016 directed the FAA to issue or revise regulations by January 10, 2017, to ensure that an individual may operate as pilot in command of a certain aircraft without having to undergo the medical certification process under Part 67 of the Federal Aviation Regulations, if the pilot and aircraft meet certain prescribed conditions outlined in the Act.
The FAA and the general aviation community have a strong track record of collaboration. The agency is working with nonprofit organizations and the not-for-profit general aviation stakeholder groups to develop online medical courses that meet the requirements of the Act.

I found this
"After meeting the initial requirements to fly under the reforms, pilots will need to visit any state-licensed physician at least once every four years and take the free aeromedical factors online course every two years."

Does this say if you see a doctor at least every 4 years for anything and take the online test you stay in compliance?

https://www.aopa.org/News-and-Media...l-reform?utm_source=eBrief&utm_medium=Content

You may need to try this link a few times, this site is getting hammered.

Last edited:
There is a form that you need to have the physisan to feel out and sign. You will to keep this with your logbook.

From the press releases I quoted.

From the press releases I quoted.

I found this
"After meeting the initial requirements to fly under the reforms, pilots will need to visit any state-licensed physician at least once every four years and take the free aeromedical factors online course every two years."

Does this say if you see a doctor at least every 4 years for anything and take the online test you stay in compliance?

https://www.aopa.org/News-and-Media...l-reform?utm_source=eBrief&utm_medium=Content

You may need to try this link a few times, this site is getting hammered.

"have completed a comprehensive medical examination with a physician within the past 48 months"

That doesn't read like "for anything" to me Joe.

a basic physical and a FAA form signed by doc and in your log book. The list of questions are in the text of the law. Read the law and see if that clears it all up.

Last edited:
I am not sure if the FAA has prepared the actual form.

Some of what I read leads me to believe it will largely follow the existing medical form.

If I run across a copy I will post the link.

Be sure to show your doc that he/she is signing that you are fit to operate an "aircraft or motor vehicle". It states that exact phrase twice. I will tell my doc "The FAA considers piloting an aircraft and driving a car as EQUALS concerning my physical condition. Since I drove here today to take my exam, you should not have any reason to hesitate to sign this form."

A yellow highlighter on that phrase couldn't hurt.