FAA Commercial Remote Pilot Certificate Add-on

okikuma

OK, for those who are already FAA Part 61 Certificate Holders (Sport Pilot of any category and class or higher), the following is what is required to add on an FAA Commercial Remote Pilot Certificate.

Instructions for Part 61 Certificate Holders

Eligibility:

* Must hold a pilot certificate issued under 14 CFR part 61
* Must have completed a flight review within the previous 24 months

Remote Pilot Certificate Requirements

* Must be easily accessible by the remote pilot during all UAS operations
* Valid for 2 years – certificate holders must pass either a recurrent online training course OR recurrent knowledge test every two years

Application Process:

1. Complete the online training course "Part 107 small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (sUAS) ALC-451" available on the FAA FAASTeam website – initial training course areas include:
a. Applicable regulations relating to small unmanned aircraft system rating privileges, limitations, and flight operation
b. Effects of weather on small unmanned aircraft performance
c. Small unmanned aircraft loading and performance
d. Emergency procedures
e. Crew resource management
f. Determining the performance of small unmanned aircraft
g. Maintenance and preflight inspection procedures

2. Complete FAA Form 8710-13 (FAA Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application for a remote pilot certificate)
a. Online or by paper (see instructions in previous section)

3. Validate applicant identity
a. Contact a FSDO, an FAA-designated pilot examiner (DPE), an airman certification representative (ACR), or an FAA-certificated flight instructor (CFI) to make an appointment.
b. Present the completed FAA Form 8710-13 along with the online course completion certificate or knowledge test report (as applicable) and proof of a current flight review.
c. The completed FAA Form 8710-13 application will be signed by the applicant after the FSDO, DPE, ACR, or CFI examines the applicant's photo identification and verifies the applicant's identity.
i. The identification presented must include a photograph of the applicant, the applicant's signature, and the applicant's actual residential address (if different from the mailing address). This information may be presented in more than one form of identification.
ii. Acceptable methods of identification include, but are not limited to U.S. drivers' licenses, government identification cards, passports, and military identification cards (see AC 61-65 Certification: Pilots and Flight and Ground Instructors)
d. The FAA representative will then sign the application.

4. An appropriate FSDO representative, a DPE, or an ACR will issue the applicant a temporary airman certificate (a CFI is not authorized to issue a temporary certificate; they can process applications for applicants who do not want a temporary certificate).

5. A permanent remote pilot certificate will be sent via mail once all other FAA-internal processing is complete.

Note: For Part 61 Certificate Holders, no knowledge written test is required. No medical is required to be an FAA Commercial Remote Pilot. To take a flight review based on your previous category and class rating, one does not need to posses a valid current FAA medical.

So with proof of a current flight review within the past 24 months, completion of the free online training course “Part 107 small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (sUAS) ALC-451,” the completed FAA Form 8710-13 (FAA Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application for a remote pilot certificate), and proof of applicant identity with a government issued ID, one can either schedule an in-person appointment with their local FSDO (free of charge) for verifications, signature, and application submission, or for a fee schedule an appointment with an FAA-designated pilot examiner (DPE), an airman certification representative (ACR), or an FAA-certificated flight instructor (CFI) to sign the form, and submit to the FAA.

Wayne

So if I get this I then can get a job shooting Hellfires at the Tally-whackers ? ;)

Good question Randy.

Civilian UAV pilots/operators that work for companies such as General Atomics flying Predators have to have a minimum, Commercial Instrument ASEL rating with a current Class 2 medical. I'm sure that requirement will still stand.

To my understanding, the new Commercial Remote Pilot Certificate will be limited to UAS that are less than 55 lbs, flow visually (within sight of the operator) during VFR Daylight hours only, and under 400 ft AGL. In short, commercial operations with a RC model aircraft.

Those who desire to fly RC model aircraft for recreation will still have to comply with FAR 107 limitations but do not need to possess a Commercial Remote Pilot Certificate. I suspect that in the near future, the FAA will add the requirement of a Private Remote Pilot Certificate to operate a RC model aircraft for recreation.

Be advised that with the implementation of Part 107, anyone who possess any FAA Pilot Certificate that flies an RC aircraft for recreation, and infringes on any FAR during that operation of the RC aircraft, the FAA can and most likely will pull any and all Pilot Certificates.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...-suspended-an-actual-pilot-for-flying-drones/

Wayne

Last edited:
This will be the first rating I ever earned for which I never had to actually fly anything! I can have commercial privileges before I ever touch a UAS. I think I'll do it just for grins.

Waspair just a thought. As this is a new rating, does it take the place of a flight review?

OKIKUMA you say

Be advised that with the implementation of Part 107, anyone who possess any FAA Pilot Certificate that flies an RC aircraft for recreation, and infringes on any FAR during that operation of the RC aircraft, the FAA can and most likely will pull any and all Pilot Certificates.

I can just see the court case of an ATP licenced pilot being dragged through the courts after his recreational UAV with a go pro has a software glitch and dives to the ground , He will end up defending his ATP licence. this is like a semi truck driver loosing his licence because his remote controlled toy car ran over an old ladies foot.

Last edited:
This will be the first rating I ever earned for which I never had to actually fly anything! I can have commercial privileges before I ever touch a UAS. I think I'll do it just for grins.

I think i'm going to as well, that would be a good little feather in my cap...