FAA accident reporting error

gyroguy

Aircraft
Air Command single N50NG, Dominator single N51NG (building), Fixed wing own design N2186S
Total Flight Time
The FAA preliminary accident report below shows a new RAF-2000 innovation.

** Report created 10/23/2009 Record 5 **

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 412GB Make/Model: EXP Description: RAF 2000 ROTORCRAFT
Date: 10/21/2009 Time: 2030

Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Unknown

DESCRIPTION
N412GB EXPERIMENTAL RAF2000 ROTORCRAFT, ON LANDING TAIL ROTOR AND MAIN
ROTOR STRUCK THE GROUND, LINCOLN, ME

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: NOT REPORTED

OTHER DATA
Activity: Unknown Phase: Landing Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: PORTLAND, ME (EA65) Entry date: 10/23/2009

As the PRA Safety Guy, I see numerous preliminary accident reports in which helicopter equipment and operative problems are transferred to gyro equipment and operation. This current report is one of the most blatantly incorrect I've seen. I'm passing it on for anyone else who needs a good laugh.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
It sounds expensive.

It sounds expensive.

That sounds like Jeff Miller from Lincoln, Me.

He is Av8r1 here on the forum.

He purchased his RAF in March of this year in Texas.

I am glad he wasn’t hurt.

It sounds expensive.

Thank you, Vance

Last edited:

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Hi Kerry!!
Tail rotor????????????????????:eek::puke:

C. Beaty

Gold Supporter
From January 1, 2004 until present, the NTSB reports a total of 44 gyroplane accidents of which 19 were RAF-2000s. Now 20. The majority was rollover resulting from the hard linked nosewheel.

It’s not a bad thing when one of these contraptions is destroyed without anyone suffering physical injury.

But this is not the first time a tail rotor has figured in a preliminary report of a gyroplane accident. A number of years ago, the FAA investigator from the St. Petersburg GADO office reported he couldn’t locate the tail rotor of a crashed gyroplane.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders

But this is not the first time a tail rotor has figured in a preliminary report of a gyroplane accident. A number of years ago, the FAA investigator from the St. Petersburg GADO office reported he couldn’t locate the tail rotor of a crashed gyroplane.
Now that's funny and Sad too Chuck!!

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
I love the reports of gyroplane crashes which start with, "the pilot was attempting an autorotation, when..."

You know, I think I want the feds involved in my healthcare... ;)

Friendly

Platinum Member
Aircraft
KB2 & KB4
Total Flight Time
Chuck,
The FAA inspector could not find the tailrotor or collective on my gyro. I asked him if that was going to keep me from getting my airworthness cert. because I would put one on even it it was not functional. He was very nice to me and said no after I told him that was not a rotor drive, but a prerotor.

C. Beaty

Gold Supporter
The bottom line is that FAA employees are, for the most part, honest civil servants trying to do their job; which conquests of dotting the iiis and crossing the ttts. We shouldn’t expect them to know the difference between a gyroplane and a helicopter.

fiveboy

I FLY THE JUNGLE JET!
Aircraft
AC Tandem Elite F30
Total Flight Time
Almost 200 hours
The bottom line is that FAA employees are, for the most part, honest civil servants trying to do their job; which conquests of dotting the iiis and crossing the ttts. We shouldn’t expect them to know the difference between a gyroplane and a helicopter.
Chuck

Respectfully I submit: We shouldnt!?
That being the case, how can we expect any intelligent determinations on our envelope of safety, expectations or functionality!?

C. Beaty

Gold Supporter
The FAA’s job is to enforce the rules, not that of engineering your homemade flying apparatus for you. That’s your job.

That’s the reason you can’t use it for hire, carry passengers or fly over densely populated areas.

Chuck Roberg

Gyro's are more fun
Aircraft
SnoBird Tandem Gyro, Robinson R-22, Assorted Fixed Wing
Total Flight Time
"or fly over densely populated areas. "

Used to be true. But the FAR's have changed. It now depends on your Operating Limitations.

fiveboy

I FLY THE JUNGLE JET!
Aircraft
AC Tandem Elite F30
Total Flight Time
Almost 200 hours
The FAA’s job is to enforce the rules, not that of engineering your homemade flying apparatus for you. That’s your job.

That’s the reason you can’t use it for hire, carry passengers or fly over densely populated areas.
They make rules that we are supposed to abide by & tests we are supposed to pass. They make determinations in after action reports. If they have no real understanding of what the hell we fly how can they do either effectively or with any real accuracy?

C. Beaty

Gold Supporter
The only US government agency ever to become involved with gyroplane research was the NACA, NASA’s predecessor, back in the 1930s. Those NACA pioneers wrote the book on rotary wing flight.

NASA does the science for things aeronautical; FAA does the policing, enforcing the rules of the road and administering the Breathalyzer tests. Fundamentally, a highway patrol of the air.

Ensuring safety of air transportation is the biggest thing on the FAA’s plate and they do a pretty good job of that. A handful of misfits flying Neanderthal contraptions is the least of their concerns.

C. Beaty

Gold Supporter
The true believers all turn blue when they read something like that, Chuck E., and it takes them a while recover and begin the ad hominem attacks.

fiveboy

I FLY THE JUNGLE JET!
Aircraft
AC Tandem Elite F30
Total Flight Time
Almost 200 hours
The true believers all turn blue when they read something like that, Chuck E., and it takes them a while recover and begin the ad hominem attacks.
I understand the logic. It begets a purification of the systems and logic of the evolution of these machines.

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
No fish rising to the fly yet...or simply accepting the logic of the inadequacy.

reelmule

Reelmule
Aircraft
Beech Baron C55; Piper PA 18 Super Cub; RAF 2000 gyroplane
Total Flight Time
5,000+ hrs;
CB--Your vitriole toward the RAF is well known and really unbecoming for some one of your stature who commands a great deal of respect from all of us. Coluld you please explain these roll-over accidents when the RAF is flown according to the book and the nose wheel is lowered to terra firma only after the mains have come to a COMPLETE STOP??
CE--You're better off remaining a lurker!

reelmule

Reelmule
Aircraft
Beech Baron C55; Piper PA 18 Super Cub; RAF 2000 gyroplane
Total Flight Time
5,000+ hrs;
CB-- Could you help me decide if I am a "true believer"? I believe all birds should have tail feathers. I believe all flying contraptions should have tail feathers, vertical and horizontal. I believe all Homo-sapiens who endeavor to operate these contraptions should have professional, dual flight instruction from a properly licensed flight instructor with periodic competency checks. The cost of training properly will be a significant part of the cost of flying. Having said all of the above, am I about to "turn Blue"????