Experimental Sonerai Formula Vee

dragonflyerthom

Platinum Member
Aircraft
RAF 2000 GTX SE
Total Flight Time
183FW 132Gyro
Does anyone know much about this aircraft. I have a lead on one. I think this could be my faster mode of transportation.

single seat or 2 seat? they are VW powered, very fast about 140 cruise. limited aerobatic and folding wings for easy transport.

I had a 2 seat project many years ago. wings are metal, fuselage and tail are welded 4130 with fabric covering. and 2 piece fiberglass cowl.
tail dragger. hinge over canopy.

Thom, I have built and flown a Sonerai and can say it is small, fast and glides like a rock. If you are over 5'9" you won't fit in the cockpit. Mine was nimble and a blast to fly but with its short wings and tight landing gear, taxi, takeoffs and landings were a challenge to say the least. The guy I sold mine to, a 2K+Hr. pilot, ended upside down on a cross country somewhere in Texas. It is not a good aircraft for the average pilot as it will bite you fast, but they are fast and fun.

My lead is on a 2180 cc vw hand prop with dual mags and no battery. It is a II LST. I am hoping that with my gyro training and the sensitivity of a gyro that it will be a good mix for an aircraft for me. I really do hope it is fun. I know my RAF is fun. It is for flying slow and low. Sometimes I need to go somewhere fast.

They are a tough little aircraft and can be found pretty cheap. Mine wasn't the LST which does give a little more headroom but still glides like a rock. Be careful and best wishes.

Thom,
I built and flew a Sonerai S-2L, it was a fantastic aircraft. You will not find a better performing fixed wing experimental class for the money. I flew mine as a tail dragger for 3 years and then decided to fly it as a tri-gear as it was built to convert from tail wheel to tri-gear. I decided to build it with both mods and it payed off when I sold it. Because of the short wheel base it was a bit trickier to fly than most tail wheel aircraft. The LST model you are looking at was designed for taller pilots 6' plus and it is a tri-gear set up. I am 6'3" with wide shoulders and I fit just fine in my S-2L. I regret selling my Sonerai as it had a 2180 80/HP Aero Vee conversion (100 HP modified) it weighed in at 586 LBS, flushed rivet wings, I was 10-15 kts faster than the exposed riveted wings commonly built. My cruise was 156 kts and it sipped 2.8 gallons an hour. Landings are easy but you need to remember to slow it down before you enter the pattern as it is clean and it doesn't have flaps so airspeed management is important.

Fly Safe

Chuck

Thanks Chuck

I am leaving this am to look at it. It's road trip time. I sure do hope this will work out but I haven't seen any pics but the price is right, I think. I am 6 ft on a good day so maybe I will fit. It has the tri-gear set up.

I will keep everyone posted as to the development. I have found quite a few of these for sale. One in California, two in Texas, and one in Ohio. Thanks for the information guys. This forum is the best for it.

Well, I arrived home last night. I'm disappointed about the Sonerai that I looked at in Ohio. It has been 18 years since it has had a condition report. After careful inspection I feel that it will need at least 3 thousands to get it flying again.

Fortunately I have an other one close that I will look at today. I do appreciate the help guys. I will keep you posted later today or tomorrow.

good luck in your search Thom, At least you did not buy it sight unseen.

I have learned pics lie sometimes. I did buy my commuter with out going to see it first,but luckily it was as described and I knew it was going to need a complete restoration.

hope the next one is just what you are looking for.
will be looking forward to seeing pics of you new high speed ride.

One of the more spectacular crashes I ever seen was a guy I knew and his maiden flight in his Sonerai . He said it was the most fun he ever had .

I would love to have a Sonerai but I'm 5'9" and 1500 lb .
So that ain't going to happen .

I like the Sonerai I, and the Cassutt IIIM, but being 6'2'', I doubt I would fit in one. Now, Steve Wittman was 6'3'', so, maybe the V-Witt... The Wittman Tailwing is also a great plane I am thinking about... After I complete my Hornet gyro!
There is also the KR-2, using a VW...

Gil.

I like the Sonerai I, and the Cassutt IIIM, but being 6'2'', I doubt I would fit in one. Now, Steve Wittman was 6'3'', so, maybe the V-Witt... The Wittman Tailwing is also a great plane I am thinking about... After I complete my Hornet gyro!
There is also the KR-2, using a VW...

Gil.

I am sure you mean tailwind, the W-8 is a sweet plane.

I got a ride in one many years ago, man that plane was fast.

Tim

What interested me about this plane is it had 30 hours on it. So it is almost new. It looks it also. This really is one where the pics are not as good as being there with the plane.

I went up north to see the other one and it was susposed to be a show stopper in 1989. Maybe but it isn't now. I was nice to him and offered 8000 dollars. It will need about 3000 dollars worth of work done on it. Thankfully he didn't take my offer. I won't down him any more than this. I am really pleased with this one. Since he is the builder he is giving me a fresh annual at no more money. I need to go to the bank and have an official check made out to him. His bank wouldn't take the one made out to me. I pick it up Monday. Maybe take it up on Tuesday.

Last edited:
Cool deal,thats like my Forester. the first one I went to look at was crap. the second one was like new. sometimes it is good to walk away from a deal.
now I have something that will get me places like fly-ins and other places I want to go. now to get it paid for..lol

Attachments

• 100_1649.jpg
    100_1649.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_1646.jpg
    100_1646.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 0