Expanding the scope of the Mentone Convention

donshoebridge

Gold Member
This thread is the discuss, in detail, my idea #2 as stated in my signature.

Idea #2 wasn't focused on having the same, regular pro-gyro people attend the convention. The intention was to attract people that wouldn't normally go to Mentone for the convention - fixed wingers, PPC drivers, etc.

Let's face it... Gyro's have a perception problem. What better way to sway the masses. A slight restructuring of the convention would at least clear the way for more aircraft traffic to come in, specifically, STOP PARKING THE FIXED WINGERS 1/2 MILE FROM ALL OF THE ACTION! Let them park right up behind the museum. Make them feel like they're part of the convention, not some freak outsider. A fair percentage of the fixed wing traffic that parks at the far end of the runway looks at the distance they have to walk, and they leave. This is obviously not helping the PRA or gyros in general.

The idea is to have more of the fly-though traffic camp out at Mentone for a night, meet the people, buy some fuel and food, talk to some vendors, and maybe even get a ride FOR CHEAP! I've heard that at one time at past conventions, there use to be a bon fire that everyone would sit around and shoot the breeze. We need to bring that back! I've also heard that there use to be movies shown on one of the hangar walls at night. We need to make that happen every night!

To push this idea, we need to get the word out now! And we need to get it out to as many websites, magazines, flying clubs, and airports as possible. I'd rather see a situation where Mentone must turn people away because the airfield is full, rather than wish that it was full.

Your thought...

Don,

I am right with you in principle and mindset.

Last year(?) when this topic came up I was arguing for Bensen Days to be moved to someplace with more exposure as well as Mentone.

Some poster(s) I do not remember whom to credit (sorry) said that Mentone was for the converted and to empower those already with gyros in the blood. At the time of the reading it did NOT sway me. Over consideration and time though it has.

I don't have an answer as to how we can make a convention for both the converted and to convert those we know would love gyros if they only knew the truth about them.

I worry that we may ruin the convention for the converted if we push it too far into a GA/UL fly-in.

Please don't get me wrong, I am ALL for inviting more people to Mentone and BDays, but moving it is another story. I for one would have difficulty attending a duel weekend event.

At this point in my ponderings it seems like a coordinated 'gyro invasion' separate from Mentone and BDays would be the most practical starting point.

Making BD or Mentone a 'stopping by point' seems a very efficient way to start this off. We could start a fund rasier perhaps to raise money for ads to be placed in EAA 'zines, Aerotrader, ....so on... But I want MORE.

What ever the most practical seems to be.. count me in. I will help in anyway I am able. Now is the time for the Return of the Gyro Jedi

I would be doing fly-in & static displays this and last weekend with my gyro at local airshows if by bloody redrive had not gone out on me.

ONe thing
We could stop calling that show The Convention . . .it rings like a private party!
The Convention can be at any fly in and the Mentone fly in could be one of them.
It is a great idea to bring people closer to our show, and a stop over place for people to refuel and stay maybe a couple nights.
Name the event and sell it to this target public that way, a pit stop for Oshkosh with lots of fun and enlightment.
Good going Don!
Heron

You're right about the naming and marketing technique, Heron. But I also think that the core of the convention would remain intact. There would still be the usual forums and manufacturer demos. Really, there would only be a handful of specifics that should change; 1) where the GA's would tie down, 2) the name of the "event", and 3) the dates would shift a couple of days to favor Oshkosh.

I don't think the location is all that bad. Rochester would be better, but until the crowd that currently attends the convention grows, I don't think the PRA has enough clout to get into Rochester. Once we get to a point where we can consistently fill Mentone with people each year, then we can pay Rochester a visit. But until that day, I don't think we should consider moving it around. It's hard enough to find as it is now. If we start moving this little convention from airport to airport, it's only going to be that much harder to find the following year.

The location in reference to Oshkosh could be a little better. As it is now, our biggest influx is going to be from the south, southeast, and east. We might draw a few from farther west, but I wouldn't think a whole lot.

As for people that would want to stay in a hotel/motel, the PRA could hit on some of the local auto dealerships for a few vans and we could run shuttles from the airport to various hotels and motels in the area. Since the PRA is a 501C(4) non-profit, the dealership can get a tax write-off for the use of the van.

As for the dates, currently the official portion of the convention runs from Thursday to Sunday. From Sunday till the start of Oshkosh is a long stretch. To gain the full benefit of the Oshkosh bound air traffic, the official dates are going to have to be pushed back, say from Friday to Wednesday, or even later. Since I'm local to Mentone (as well as a few others that visit this forum), we will have to fill in the gaps between as best we can. Manpower is going to be the only real issue.

I know some people have a REAL problem with the idea of shifting their vacation time so that it starts and stops in the middle of the week. Sorry, but I don't see why it's a problem. But that's not to say that they can't shift it by an entire week. I doubt that the PRA is going to see any significant increase in membership from the local population around Mentone, so trying to set the Mentone dates around a weekend doesn't really hold much water. The biggest impact from moving the dates is going to be with instruction that goes on each year. The flip side is that the PRA membership numbers, and the perception of gyros as a whole is more important than a handful of people receiving instruction at Mentone during the convention.

PS - Can you tell that I've been thinking about this stuff a whole bunch?

Wait a minute! This is the PRA Convention. Why should we change it to a "fly-in"?

The convention takes place once a year. Other "fly-ins" are great but this is a yearly convention for PRA members (and their rotorcraft). There is no reason why there could not also be one or more fly-ins each year at Mentone, but we should not stop the annual PRA Convention, just to have a general fun aircraft fly-in.

We should have lots of fly-ins all around the US during the year, like Bensen Days and the others. They are great and more would be good.

"I know some people have a REAL problem with the idea of shifting their vacation time so that it starts and stops in the middle of the week. Sorry, but I don't see why it's a problem."

Well, for myself I teach 5 day classes. If I split the week in half, even if it means just one day into the next week, that will cost me 2 weeks of vaction and two weeks of lost $$.

That seems like a lot of work and expense and time for what could be a small return. Would it not be more efficient to just get the gyro people willing to ‘stay late’ form a posse that takes their gyros to the GA fly in?

Ken,
I was writing when you posted. A mini-Mentone that does what Don is suggesting might me what would work best, as you suggest ( I think thats what you were working toward). That way we don't through out the baby with the bath water.

Oshkosh officially starts on Tuesday. I like being able to drive to Oshkosh when Mentone ends on Sunday, find a nice camping spot in Camp Scholler, and go to Oshkosh when the crowds aren't to large on Monday (which is basically a free day because Monday's pass gets you in on Tuesday, also).

I'd imagine the vendors that go to both Mentone and Oshkosh would still want to leave Mentone on Sunday, so that they have time to get their displays ready in Oshkosh on time.

Ken,

It would still be the regular convention. But when fixed wingers read "rotary wing convention", they decide right then that they aren't going to it. What we call Mentone shouldn't matter to the rotor head types. But how it's marketed makes a HUGE difference in how people look at it.

All,

Quoting myself from earlier, how would "Friday to Wednesday" be bad for anyone? Most everyone that attends Mentone now is only there for the weekend anyways. If you want to show up the Monday before and leave on Friday, more power to you. The vendors can still make the drive to Oshkosh when ever they want. But like I alluded to above, currently, we are nothing more than a side show. So unless we have something at the convention for the other types to enjoy, there’s no reason to come to Mentone, or any other location if it’s a gyro event.

GA type’s like to fly somewhere. If they know they can get a nice pancake breakfast and a hot cup of Joe while on their way to another event, chances are they’re going to land. The PRA then benefits in two ways; 1) financially through fuel sales, concessions, camping, the gift shop, and possibly memberships, and 2) it plants the rotary wing bug. They might come back again the following year, and they may not. As for the vendors, those GA’s that do fly into Mentone are concentrated in a smaller area. If the vendors were to have reasonable prices for introductory rides, I’m sure it would help everyone in the gyro/helo community.

If we were to draw in 150 GA's next year, don't you think that those 150 plane loads of people would learn more about gyros/helos in the night or 2 they were there, than they would walking around Fon Du Lac? At Mentone, the GA's couldn't get away from it. At Oshkosh and Fon Du Lac, they walk right past! Basically, Mentone would be a GA tourist trap, and we get’m to come it using duck hunting tactics. But to you and I, I'd still be the Mentone Convention, just longer in duration and with more fixed wing traffic.

The bottom line is this… The rotary wing community can not recruit new blood from within it's own circle and expect to survive. And every time one of us goes to a fixed wing event, we get looked over, and passed by. We are considered a circus side show by the rest of the flying disciplines! And the only way to change that is to get people into our "bubble" (if you will) and see things from our perspective. Just having another rotary wing event isn't going to do S^$# for us, because the only people that are going to come to it are you, me and the other rotor heads of the world!

The Convention is a social meeting, best if held at any fly-in.
It is only for the members and not open do the general public (I think)
You can have it at the Downtown Marriot in Miami and it will be as effective but the participants do not get to fly . . .
If you decide to hold the Convention at Bensen Day, you are not going to change the name are you?
The Convention is an event inside another, so lets sell the bigger event to the general public, coz we already know about our convention.
We need to get out of the tub!
Heron

Question for Don:

Do you think vendors are going to be willing to stay past Sunday at Mentone on the chance of selling a gyro to the fixed wingers on the way to Osh or do you think they would just go home or to Osh? It seems to me we can't get them to even stay for Sunday.

Question for Heron:

Do you actually believe that as you state "Downtown Marriot in Miami and it will be as effective but the participants do not get to fly . . ."?

I for one doubt this very much. No gyros no me unless it is something like the Hofs university converence which was nothing like a convention.

Convention the same with or without gyros? I have to respectfully completely disagree on this one with you.

Don, what you are proposing is intriguing but I'm more than a little uncomfortable with changing the name or anything else that dilutes the tradition. Yeah, the Convention is a draw primarily for rotorheads and quite frankly I'm comfortable with that. I'm not a pilot but I know those that are enjoy the fact that they don't have to compete with fixed wing traffic and the airport and airspace is theirs! To clutter it up with a lot of other air traffic might not go over to well.

I believe that promoting the Convention as an Oshkosh stopover has some merit but I'm just not sure it would be worth sacrificing the relaxed atmosphere and possibly taking energy away from the gyro activities. It takes a lot of effort by the local PRA members to stage the Convention and I don't want to see them have to expend any extra in an attempt to expose the fixed wingers to rotorcraft.

donshoebridge said:
The bottom line is this… The rotary wing community can not recruit new blood from within it's own circle and expect to survive. And every time one of us goes to a fixed wing event, we get looked over, and passed by. We are considered a circus side show by the rest of the flying disciplines! And the only way to change that is to get people into our "bubble" (if you will) and see things from our perspective. Just having another rotary wing event isn't going to do S^$# for us, because the only people that are going to come to it are you, me and the other rotor heads of the world!
The 'circle' you mentioned can be expanded in a number of ways, at any number of venues outside of fly-ins and has the potential of expanding the rotorcraft ranks much more than a 'Oshkosh stopover'. And with these new recruits we wouldn't have to change any perceptions. But it takes individual and chapter initiative to make this happen.

I agree with Ken that the rest of the gyro fly-ins that happen through out the rest of the year could serve the purpose you propose. Plus there was mention at one of this year's Mentone forums about using the PRA's relationship with ASC to expand the exposure. If I understood correctly one, or more, Chapters already do this. Maybe Tom Milton, PRA board member and Chapter Coordinator, or Ralph Taggart (Ralph is the ASC Rotary Wing director) can jump in here and offer their views. As an aside I just sent the PRA board a note that included the suggestion that Bensen Days, ROC and El Mirage be designated as official PRA regional events with another event in the Pacific Northwest also being identified as such.

Your suggestion to make the FW folks that do fly in feel more welcome by parking them closer to the action certainly makes sense if safety considerations can be satisfied. If there was a way to control and/or advertise specific times for FW traffic then this might be something to be investigated as a one shot deal to see if it generates interest and money and what problems pop up. Your thoughts on reviving the nightly movies and other past activities seem worthy of revisiting. I wonder why this stopped?

But lets not change the name of the gathering or the established format which includes the days it is held. Advertising that Mentone is a Oshkosh stopover should be sufficient. In fact, if it isn't being done already, I would suggest that Mentone be advertised as a stopover year 'round. But this still conflicts with what I stated in my first paragraph.

Tim:
There is the PRA Convention and a fly-in with all the trimings.
If you denominate that fly in " Don Shoebridge Days" what does it change?
I don't understand having major fly-ins created, planned, executed by a chapter and they are not "Official" as I do not understand most of the relationship PRA-Chapters.
If you have to have an annual convention for the rules to be met, the fly-in is not mandatory, it is a bonus.
All fly-ins should be made "official" PRA activities and sponsored as possible and some of them should be deemed PRA fly-ins with local chapters help and execution and they should carry some perks, like check rides, airworthness checks etc.
In my first year on the forums I asked: why not align PRA-EAA-FAA and have this conveyor belt of information and decisions greased up?
We should sell the major fly-ins as much as to the general public as possible, the rotorheads are going to be there if possible. And name them to have an impact on the GA as well.
The Mentone fly-in (or whatever) the greatest gattering of gyros in the world! and more . . . .enticing people to come and see something or just to have fun with aviation people.
I was very frustrated at SNF to see how they relegate rotorcraft to a corner. Just to get there was bad enough. People crossing our runway and very few visitors compared with the bulk of the fair.
Heron

Heron, what would be the incentive for the EAA to get in bed with the PRA? You need to understand that the EAA is a business! It doesn't need the PRA. The EAA started out with good intentions and it still has them but it has become a money machine that requires it to be run as the business it is.

The EAA would like for all of us to believe that it is all things to all people. But the fact is, that organization is always going to cater to the experimental fixed winger, period. The areas designated for rotorcraft and ultralights that you alluded to are visible examples of this.

PRA/EAA/FAA alignment? Ha, you've got to be kiddin! You should have placed this in the Jokes Forum.

Heron,

I am not trying to be an ass. I think you are great and your idea valid or I would not be posting a dissussion with you :)

However, I do respectfully disagree based on my on experience with this:

"If you have to have an annual convention for the rules to be met, the fly-in is not mandatory, it is a bonus."

I think rather it is the opposite. People come because it is a big fly-in and the Convention is the bonus.

IMHO

They will come even without the Convention, that is my point since the beginning and I do not think you are an ass (no one for that matter)!
Calling the fly-in the National Convention may sound big and great for us, but for all it does not mean jack . . .
Lets give it a good name, easy so sell, atractive, with apeal!
And we can still hold our convention there or any other stabilished major fly-in.
If the Convention becomes also atractive, the general public been exposed to it, may try a membership.
I appreciate your posts, thank you!
Heron

Heron, I don't know if you have been to a 'Convention' or not but it doesn't sound like it. The first thing you, and everyone else, should accept is that at least once a year the members need the opportunity to get together with the leaders and also to generate some income. I believe this is the intent of the 'Convention. It is not a fly-in with the purpose of selling rotorcraft flying to anyone. Vendors excluded, of course!

The 'Convention' has a lot of different facets that don't appear at other gyro gatherings. Personally I recognize four events as special. Those being the Mentone Convention, Bensen Days, El Mirage and ROC. I wish the people in the Pacific Northwest would establish one in their area. All of the (still have to visit ROC) events have a distinct personality and I expect to enjoy them for distinct reasons.

Since most PRA members can't make but one or two events a year, and some can't make any at all, it makes sense to target and highlight one special event where extra effort and energy is expended. It would be impractical and costly to try and duplicate the 'Conventions' activities at every gathering.

To my simple mind, any PRA growth that happens as a result of one of these events can be considered as frosting on the cake. I believe we should take them for what they are, a place for the rotorcraft family to get together to socialize and share new ideas and technology, and enjoy our time there.

I firmly believe that PRA growth has to start at the grassroots level with the Chapters. This is the place where all members can have an impact. Growth at the local level doesn't require traveling to other parts of the country and for a lot of people local activity and support is all they need. But then again if growth responsibility happens at the local level then there won't be a reason to bitch at the PRA leaders. And that would take the fun out of it for some people.

Tim, I just posted a reply to Heron in which I cited local promotion, meaning the individual PRA member, as the source of any future growth. Your intended activity is an example of what I was talking about.

I feel pretty confident in saying that individual efforts like yours and those that make appearances at other fly-ins and venues will have a larger impact on PRA growth than any of our fly-ins.

There are dozens of venues where rotocraft can be presented to the public starting with mall shows, auto dealerships and etc. And how about approaching schools where science, physics and math departments might find value in real world presentations. Get 'em while they are young and let ole Dad finance it and may be he will get interested too!

Sorry, Dean, but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on a few points you made.

Firstly, please understand that the root of this idea is based on pulling in new people in wholesale quantities with the least amount of effort and expense involved. All of the other membership boosting efforts that you and others have mentioned are noble gestures. However, the end result isn't going to be any different than parking a couple of gyros at an air show - people are still just going to walk past and make the same superficial analogy that “…those things are dangerous…”, or say "...isn't that a cute contraption". Yeah, there may be a couple of new members gained, but would it be worth the effort? Did we get the best bang for the buck? I don’t think so.

Dean_Dolph said:
...I'm not a pilot but I know those that are enjoy the fact that they don't have to compete with fixed wing traffic and the airport and airspace is theirs! To clutter it up with a lot of other air traffic might not go over to well.

We have fixed wing traffic come in now and it's not a problem. Most, if not all gyros at Mentone have a radio, and if they don't, they should. The airport has a VHF radio in the office, and it wouldn't take much effort to move it to the tower. I'm sure we could find a qualified individual to run tower ops. We have a year to find a person, and I happen to know a few in the area.

The PRA convention should be specifically targeted to the “purpose” of the PRA as spelled out in the By-Laws; A) To encourage, aid and engage in scientific research for the improvement and better understanding of the art of flying by an individual and the science of vertical lift aeronautics, B) To foster, promote, and popularize education in rotorcraft among it's members and the general public, and C) To establish and maintain a rotorcraft museum and air education center to contain exhibits of historical and scientific interest. As I see it, the convention is nothing more than a group of friends that get together each year to go flying, with a little education thrown in. The PRA is not, nor should it be a “flying club”. That’s not to say that you can’t have a club. It’s just not the job of the PRA. The PRA is a mechanism by which to expand rotary wing aviation, and it should stay that way.

Dean_Dolph said:
I believe that promoting the Convention as an Oshkosh stopover has some merit but I'm just not sure it would be worth sacrificing the relaxed atmosphere and possibly taking energy away from the gyro activities. It takes a lot of effort by the local PRA members to stage the Convention and I don't want to see them have to expend any extra in an attempt to expose the fixed wingers to rotorcraft.

The "relaxed atmosphere" that you mentioned is called a lack of participation, which is what most people would like to reverse. In 1997, the convention was PACKED to the fence line. This year looked more like a chapter meeting than a convention. And don't worry about the workload of the locals. It just means a longer vacation for me. :D

Dean_Dolph said:
The 'circle' you mentioned can be expanded in a number of ways, at any number of venues outside of fly-ins and has the potential of expanding the rotorcraft ranks much more than a 'Oshkosh stopover'. And with these new recruits we wouldn't have to change any perceptions. But it takes individual and chapter initiative to make this happen.

Which "...venues outside of fly-ins..." are you referring to? How do they have "...the potential of expanding the rotorcraft ranks much more than a 'Oshkosh stopover'"? Most everyone outside of the gyro community has a perception problem with gyros. Those from within do not. We can not recruit from within.

Dean_Dolph said:
But lets not change the name of the gathering or the established format which includes the days it is held. Advertising that Mentone is a Oshkosh stopover should be sufficient. In fact, if it isn't being done already, I would suggest that Mentone be advertised as a stopover year 'round. But this still conflicts with what I stated in my first paragraph.

Simply making Mentone a stop over is not enough. Who's going to be there after the weekend? Except for a handful of people doing clean-up from the past weekends convention, NO ONE! Not everyone flies to Oshkosh on the same days that the PRA convention is held. So just doing the “advertisement” and nothing else is going to make the PRA and the rotary wing community look even worse than it already does.

Purely from a visual point of view, the only thing that would change is the way the convention is advertised, the dates on a calendar, and the number of fixed wingers on the field. The way the convention is advertised and/or named shouldn’t matter a hill-o-beans to any one of us, because it’s going to be the same people plus some. And the days that most of us are there (Fri-Sun) won’t change either. I’ll end up being there from Friday till Friday of the following week. So what?!?!?! Did I miss anything. No. Would anyone else miss anything. No. Would we be able to expose non-gyro/non-helo aviation types to our ways and aircraft? You bet! Chance are that once the GA’s land, their going to stick around for awhile. Why wouldn’t they, they’re already there, so they might as well have a look around, right?

Dean_Dolph said:
Since most PRA members can't make but one or two events a year, and some can't make any at all, it makes sense to target and highlight one special event where extra effort and energy is expended. It would be impractical and costly to try and duplicate the 'Conventions' activities at every gathering.

Yes and no. Since Mentone already has showers, a kitchen, etc., the cost isn’t that great. It’s the capital expenses that are the problem.

Dean_Dolph said:
To my simple mind, any PRA growth that happens as a result of one of these events can be considered as frosting on the cake. I believe we should take them for what they are, a place for the rotorcraft family to get together to socialize and share new ideas and technology, and enjoy our time there.

The problem is… We’re not getting any frosting on the cake. Other than the 4 major events that we have, there are no other large collections of gyros for show at any one given time. Again, when only 1 or 2 gyros go to a fly-in, we look like a fringe group of some kind, which maybe we are. At some point, we need to stop acting like a fringe group and act more like the EAA, where indoctrination is more important than socializing. There’s always going to be time for socializing if we have enough people in our ranks.

Dean_Dolph said:
I feel pretty confident in saying that individual efforts like yours and those that make appearances at other fly-ins and venues will have a larger impact on PRA growth than any of our fly-ins.

As our fly-ins are currently designed, you are absolutely correct! And what I’m saying is that since people are already flying over, around, and past Mentone to get to Oshkosh, lets give them a reason to land and check us out. Geographically, Mentone is already in a position to take advantage of the Oshkosh crowd that is transiting the area from the east, south and everywhere in between.

Dean_Dolph said:
There are dozens of venues where rotocraft can be presented to the public starting with mall shows, auto dealerships and etc. And how about approaching schools where science, physics and math departments might find value in real world presentations. Get 'em while they are young and let ole Dad finance it and may be he will get interested too!

But you can’t see a gyro flying at these places. Nor can rides be given. Kids are the easy sell. It’s the parents that need the selling, and you can’t do that through the interpretation of a single event at a school.

Dean, you have some valid concerns, and I value your input. Thanks. But if Mentone were to swing to be more of a fly-in and a Stuckeys for fixed wingers, would you still attend?

Maybe I am not using the right terms . . .
The chapters have regular meetings, they mostly are for fun and flying.
Once a year they have the annual, wich has to be bigger and better in every sense, more attendance, more machines and more activities.
Some chapters have already a Fly-in that is traditional and multi chapter executed (it should) and those are the alegedly power houses as far as national attention.
Than you have the motter of all fly-ins, that should be bigger than others. Actually is the Mentone and it is Called National Convention.
Some tweeking and set of goals can make those events grow.
Lets say we pick a number of machines to achieve: 300 (random)
Lets say we have a program for new pilots and Mentone is the crowning of this program, we are going to present the new guys to our FAmily (thanks M.J.)
A national effort to get those machines there, all chapters involved and helping each other to be present.
It can start with the chapters and grow in numbers and expectation.
It needs a master plan, leadership and effort.
WE will get to the manufacturers eventually . . .
Heron