Ewatt Develops New Light But Powerful Engines

DennisFetters

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/ewat...powerful-engines-dennis-fetters?trk=prof-post

Under the Direction of Mr. Dennis Fetters, Technical Director of Ewatt AeroSpace Company in Wuhan China, a new series of light-weight, powerful and reliable two-stroke engines has been developed for both UAV and light-manned aircraft. The engines are being designed and developed by the long-time aircraft engine designer Mr. Guido Polidoro in Ewatt's new European Engine Development Center in Piacenza Italy. Although the engines are first developed in Europe, they will be produced in Ewatt AeroSpace Chinese manufacturing centers to reduce costs while maintaining the highest possible quality under Mr. Polidoro's strict supervision.

The new Ewatt engine is designed to be modular, and expandable into multi-cylinder versions to produce more horsepower. Each cylinder has 188cc displacement, developing 22 horsepower at 7500 RPM, making the single-cylinder version a powerful alternative at under 7 kilograms to other engines on the market.

The latest development now is the two and four cylinder versions of this engine, capable of producing over 40 and 65 horsepower. These engines all benefit from using the same cylinders, pistons, rods and parts of the crankshaft to keep the cost of the engine production more affordable. There will also be a six-cylinder version developed to produce over 80 horsepower and weighing only 34 kilograms. These engines are built to the highest standards to insure reliability and easy serviceability while using advanced methods developed by Mr. Polidoro to gain maximum horsepower per kilogram.

Mr. Fetters requirements was that the engines be easily adaptable to multiple applications. Therefore unique features were designed into the engine, such as the ability to change only the timing and run the engine clockwise or counterclockwise, or take power off ether end of the crankshaft, and the cylinders can be rotated so the exhaust ports can be on the opposite sides, or one on each side from the other, if needed. "Versatility as well as reliability is the key", Mr. Fetters said.

"Who owns the engines rules the industry", as claimed by Mr. Fetters. He says Rotax rules the homebuilt and LSA aircraft industry because they are the providers for 99% of the engines. Aircraft manufacturers are limited to the aircraft they can design by the limitations of the engines available to them. Mr. Fetters says; "It's the same in the UAV industry, and since it is Ewatt Aerospace's intention to lead that industry, we have to be in the position to control the quality and size of the engines to be consumed".

"For our smaller helicopters we import smaller engines from Europe, and have no need to change, but we have decided to develop or own engines for our larger UAV's yet to come", Mr. Fetters said. "After experiencing engines for light-UAV uses and their lack of availability, low quality and high costs, is what prompted me to present the possibility to our Company C.E.O. Mr Zhao for his approval", Mr. Fetters said. After many sessions of negotiations and working together to achieve a usable engine design, Mr. Zhao gave the order to establish the new Ewatt Engine Development Center in Italy headed my Mr. Guido Polidoro and Mr. Luca Casagrande.

The new Ewatt engines will first be used in the latest UAV helicopters that Mr. Fetters' skunk-works design team are now conjuring up, but Ewatt will make the engines available to other companies that require reliable light-weight power for manned or unmanned vehicles that fly, roll or float.

Contact Ewatt AeroSpace for more information at: www.e-uav.com

Attachments

• 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 0
  • 783268966.jpg
    783268966.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6542.JPG
    IMG_6542.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6559.jpg
    IMG_6559.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6547.JPG
    IMG_6547.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6516.JPG
    IMG_6516.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6568.jpg
    IMG_6568.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Great Idea, but I am not a factory. Will wait to see what a single 65hp, complete motor with ex&carbs + duel ign. and a gear psru+ fan cooling and good for pusher use costs&weights .
Rick

Last edited:
Dennis, you have made many mistakes, as you admit in your signature above. You have gained a wealth of experience from that and your experience is valuable to the members of this forum.

As you know, there is a severe void in the engine area. Everyone that flies small machines yearns for a R E L I A B L E, simple, lightweight, engine. This little engine looks like it may show promise. My advice would be:
* Do Thorough Scientific Testing
* Meticulously Record and Truthfully Report the Data
* When a Problem Appears, Disclose it, Own it, and Fix it
* Listen to Customers' Concerns, It Only Improves the Product

If you are successful at making a RELIABLE line of small engines that make 1 horsepower per pound (complete as installed) or more, you will have hit a homerun in my mind.

An aircraft engine with single ignition? Am I missing something here? Hmmm

if we want to learn from the experience of others, we dont need to try to reinvent the wheel, and if you absolutely need a 2stroke, arctic cat have more than 10years of experience with the suzuki laydown architecture engine, its the best 2stroke availlable today, it burn a little more fuel than the brp etec, but is more simple and more durable, for 10 pound more than a 582 its rated at 160hp ,and you can derate it everywhere you want it , or like mosquito helicopter at 85hp 6500rpm with the exhaust power valve fix and lower than stock , its efi ,no battery no electric starter for people that want it the lightest, and you can ad a starter like in the mosquito, just need to machine a simple gearbox adapter plate, all this new tech dont cost more than a brand new 582 with a, c box, new long block from arctic cat start at 2650 on ebay, but you need cdi box , pipe, fuel pump, and throttle body, its dual ignition and plug from the company, i dont know or think any people that can beat this engine for price performance weight and durability, and if you want it more simple, you can even put carburator on it, and a simple double ignition system, the 600, 700 and 800cc suzuki laydown engine have the same stroke just the bore change, that cost more than a used 582, but for people that want the best 2stroke for the price of a new 582, you have really more than a 582, you cant never beat this motor on all the points i listed up with a air or fan cool 2stroke i think, your little 2stroke look like a yamaha kt100 old ultralight or cart engine, but with lower case reed induction, the old yamaha is cylinder port induction, but at 100cc it put out 15hp at 10krpm, that put it at 30hp 200cc 10k, reduce it at 188cc and at 7500rpm, and that put you around 22hp, same 30 year old tech, but with a little refinement, you dont have snowmobile engine today with more than than 60hp fan cooled, and its the actic cat 580, and rotax 550 that replace the 503, lycoming is air cooled ok but we dont talk tha same weight and tech, try to make an all air or fan cooled 912 0r 914.... , rotax never make more than the 503 fan cooled, look at this link it show what a stock 800 arctic cat , crankshaft like in the mosquito can take , http://www.2strokeheads.com/ArcticCatM8BigBore.htm i know we need good lightweight engine with a good price but i dont think we can make better than this for the moment or at the moment

Dennis has come up with some good bits of kit, he has a large company with megabucks and a big fan group behind him. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

The Chinese have been short on innovative aerospace engineers, Dennis is definitely innovative. It is amazing what good synergy can produce.

Great Idea, but I am not a factory. Will wait to see what a single 65hp, complete motor with ex&carbs + duel ign. and a gear psru+ fan cooling and good for pusher use costs&weights .
Rick

Amen. Let's wait and see what it weighs with all the other hardware.:noidea:

to some one like me who hates liquid cooled engines on every thing except submarines and boats this looks promising for the future of lightweight gyros and unless the ignition is made by bendix, slick or ducatti there is really no need to have dual ignition, I have used nippondenso systems for many years and and they are at least three times as reliable as any dual setup that I have used. I have been testing a rotax 550 and at almost 200 hours the ducatti system failed so I pulled a nippondenso system off a 503 that has more than 3000 hours and the spark is still strong and now the 550 starts eaiser than before so I will fly on single ignition and not worry about it.
Thank you Dennis for bringing a lightweight aircooled engine to our attension and if you need someone to test it in real world conditions I will be glad to fly one.
Norm

Hi All,

During work done with Zanzottera, I happened to be a bystander working on electronic systems. I remember that adding HP was not the problem, it was getting rid of the heat. This was the "limit", unless complicated cooling systems were added. I wonder if there is any scope left to improve the simple finned head heat dissipation reed valved 2-stroke engine? What wheel is being reinvented and improved on? I hope this barrier is broken.

Cheers,

F.

An aircraft engine with single ignition? Am I missing something here? Hmmm

Yes, you did, but here ya'go;

It's a UAV engine in the picture I posted, and don't need twin-plugs, but as I said, it is meant to be a versatile and adaptable engine. Now we are machining the heads out of billet, but soon the heads will be casted with an oval-shaped socket in the head that can accommodate ether one or two plugs.

The single large plug cools better and you produce more power, while the twin-plugs are smaller, harder to cool and produce a little less power. But, there are still those out there that can't wrap their heads around an aviation engine not having twin-plugs, so we will cater to those as well.

I have always liked the idea of "ganging" small, simple, lightweight 2-strokes to add up to the horsepower you need. Each engine having its own ignition and simple, separate fuel system. If any engine quits, its 1-way sprag just overruns and you continue on with reduced power. It would be a boat-anchor though unless the engines are light as a feather.

Something like this Bryan?

Attachments

• 24 chainsaw-motorcycle-play1-622x454a.jpg
    24 chainsaw-motorcycle-play1-622x454a.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 24 chainsaw bike1a.jpg
    24 chainsaw bike1a.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 24 chainsaw bikea.jpg
    24 chainsaw bikea.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 0