Evocopter ClassiX - new R22 clone

persil

Hi all.

There is a new helicopter, now undergoing its flight testing in Germany.

Bit of background:
Quite recently a dedicated regulations for design of helicopters with MTOW up to 600kg emerged in Germany - called German UL. Before that there were some small uncertified helicopter flying under approvals from other countries. There was even flight schools training on such helicopters - like on Alpi Syton helicopter. As far as I am aware right now, this is the past - now in order to train pilots on small helicopters (not EASA certified) it has to be certified under these new rules. There are two organizations eligible to conduct this certification process and issue a valid type certificate, those are DAeC (Deutschen Aero Club) and DULV (Deutscher Ultraleichtflugverband e.V.)
There is already couple of helicopters certified under these regulations - like Konnser K1-S16, edm-aerotec CoAX 600 and another new player - Rupp FR-200/FR-130

The subject of this post is being developed in quite a shadow mode since couple of years, but 2 days ago they posted little bit of news that they are flying now.
Evocopter ClassiX - new R22 clone

The design itself is highly inspired by R22 - but it has different approach to several aspects - like wide use of composite plastics, mainly carbon, or main rotor blades detachable from grips, not with entire spindle. From my point of view it put together many small bits and pieces visible in bunch of other small two-seat helicopters - apart from composite materials we have electronic ignition, overhead panel, nice ventilation, place for LCD panel with instruments, and probably lots of small improvements over R22 which are not visible yet from couple of provided pictures.

Links:
(official page)
(parent company? project initiator?)
My summary so far:

Attachments

• Evocopter ClassiX - new R22 clone
    2023-03-22-Evocopter-f15850.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
    2023-03-22-Evocopter-f15851.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
    2023-08-02-evocopter-Schongau-DE-f16009.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 42
    2023-08-02-evocopter-Schongau-DE-f16010.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 41
    Evocopter-f18130.png
    291.8 KB · Views: 42
    Evocopter-f18131.png
    275.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
On June 13th, 2024, this helicopter had its official public premiere - see manufacturer page.

Attachments

bn8.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 36
    bn9.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 35
Why Lycoming. That is like carrying an extra 100 pounds over a Rotax for the same power and giving up payload capacity. Given western guys aren't getting any smaller but rather larger, this is not a good thing. What is the empty weight for this 600 kg MTOW heli?

Why Lycoming. That is like carrying an extra 100 pounds over a Rotax for the same power and giving up payload capacity. Given western guys aren't getting any smaller but rather larger, this is not a good thing. What is the empty weight for this 600 kg MTOW heli?
What engine would you suggest to them?

Robinson gets 2200 hours out of a Lycoming O-360 in the R22 with turbine-like reliability. Any fool can work on them, and they epitomize the KISS principle.

What engine would you suggest to them?

Rotax 9 series. Depending on the power the heli needs there is 912iS, 915iS, 916iS

Robinson gets 2200 hours out of a Lycoming O-360 in the R22 with turbine-like reliability. Any fool can work on them, and they epitomize the KISS principle.

It is easy to work on 1945 tractor technology yes but you are also 90 pounds heavier for the same power. There is a RV-9 with two cylinders fried on a Lycoming 0-360 sitting right in my hanger with 450 hours. It isn't like they have zero issues.
912 is a fairly bullet proof engine and with a little training you don't need to be doing much except preventative maintenance. When you are limiting your gross weight and you are planning to sell in the US/Canada/UK and even German market, I am sorry but the customer is heavy and getting heavier. It isn't like 1980 anymore. To have a realistic useful load of at least 530 pounds I doubt Lycoming is going to be the answer but maybe.

Rotax 9 series. Depending on the power the heli needs there is 912iS, 915iS, 916iS
There are indeed ultralight helicopters with Rotax 900 series engines. I think in case of weigh the complete wet weight of Rotax installation is very close to that of O-360. I don't have experience with newest versions, but they probably aren't lighter than 914. Also common opinion right now is that they are very expensive - the certified versions in particular. They probably found the best solution for them right now - especially when they probably using other R22's transmission components.

Che motore suggeriresti loro?
MWFly Turbo, 190/200/220hp 4 cylinders, Full injection, water cooled, redundant ignition system, redundant fuel system, NEW technology!! NOT FROM 40/50 YEARS AGO!!!

Regarding Rotax in two-seat helicopter - see the Lamanna Escape helicopter - it is another iteration (previous called LCA LH 212 Delta, with lower main rotor mast). The engine integration is really nice - you may like it ;)

Attachments

0067.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 16
MWFly Turbo, 190/200/220hp 4 cylinders, Full injection, water cooled, redundant ignition system, redundant fuel system, NEW technology!! NOT FROM 40/50 YEARS AGO!!!
Which helicopters with that engine do you know?

First, the Lycoming O-360 is derated for increased reliability. Less horsepower means less heat and less wear. Second, the engine is cooled by a dedicated cooling fan and cooling shroud that is designed to cool all cylinders and cylinder heads equally. Third, the engine is operated at a constant RPM mode as opposed to variable RPMs as in a fixed wing aircraft. Much less of a chance of shock cooling cylinders.

The ideal solution is to develop a turbine engine that produces the same shaft horsepower and fuel burn as a Lycoming engine.

Wayne

The ideal solution is to develop a turbine engine that produces the same shaft horsepower and fuel burn as a Lycoming engine.
Did you mean Turbotech TP-R90 used by Helyxis CR6-T or Scion SH-410 Vixen? ;)

Quali elicotteri con quel motore conosci?
S KT helicopter was one of these projects but it still used the first version of the engine, the 150 hp aspirated one, now the engines have changed, they have had many improvements on the entire engine, and now there is even the maintenance-only turbo version, i.e. power to reach altitude while always maintaining the same parameters.

I think the English term you may be looking for is "turbo-normalized".

S KT helicopter was one of these projects but it still used the first version of the engine, the 150 hp aspirated one, now the engines have changed, they have had many improvements on the entire engine, and now there is even the maintenance-only turbo version, i.e. power to reach altitude while always maintaining the same parameters.
Yes. It was like 10+ years ago. SKT SkyRider:
It just months ago popped out in Belgium, but under the name of D-Motor DKT 07 - now with D-Motor engine:

I know 3-4 different helicopter projects with MW Fly engine. One is some project from Winner Helico (also Belgium):

Anyway - I met MW Fly founder this year, he is a great guy, engines are well engineered, just sales is not as he always imagined. And helicopter manufactures most likely know that engine is one of the biggest problems in helicopters so going for something proven in such environment is just safer for starters.

First, the Lycoming O-360 is derated for increased reliability. Less horsepower means less heat and less wear. Second, the engine is cooled by a dedicated cooling fan and cooling shroud that is designed to cool all cylinders and cylinder heads equally. Third, the engine is operated at a constant RPM mode as opposed to variable RPMs as in a fixed wing aircraft. Much less of a chance of shock cooling cylinders.

Wayne
Of course the de-rate is only a line drawn on the MAP gauge, and totally up to the pilot.
In the mustering game in OZ or the deer hunting game in NZ that line on the MAP gauge is just a guide;) yet they still get time out of most of the engines with all your other points bearing a lot of weight on the engine being happy.

wolfy

There are indeed ultralight helicopters with Rotax 900 series engines. I think in case of weigh the complete wet weight of Rotax installation is very close to that of O-360. I don't have experience with newest versions, but they probably aren't lighter than 914. Also common opinion right now is that they are very expensive - the certified versions in particular. They probably found the best solution for them right now - especially when they probably using other R22's transmission components.

Nah man. 0-360 versus 914, you are looking at 70 pound difference installed to installed. Guaranteed and that is being nice to 0-360. I don't know about certified version but prices of all engines including 0-360 have gone up not by 10% but by 20 to 25%