Every Pilots Dream (at least most)

MMorgan

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Aviomania Sport, Bensen, Flight Design CTSW
Total Flight Time
4000+
I have been wanting to post some pics of my new airstrip and hangar for a while now but I just haven't taken the time.

It was started a little over a year ago in Feb. 2006...it was mid summer last year before the grass was beginning to cover everything.

The airstrip is 2300 ft. long and 150 ft. wide..... the hangar is 48 x 50

My neighbor recently became a pilot (that's what living next to a pilot will do to you sometimes) and he wants to get a Bonanza or something similiar in the future. We have plans to lengthen it to 3300 ft. to better accommodate a faster plane.

101.....Property was cow pasture before and was low and wet...2-27-06

102.....Excavator broke a small levee and dragged dirt from each side to the center

103.....Excavator at work

104.....I hired a local contractor to do the initial work with the dozer and excavator. I then spent many days on the large tractor with a plow, water level and land level before it was done. There are absolutely no low spots and during heavy rain the ditches fill but the center 50-75 ft. is dry.

105.....dozer finishing up just before I started with the tractor.

106.....This was taken 3-21-06 from my Bensen....at this point I was still dragging the land level around putting the final touches on.

Continued......next post

Attachments

• 102.JPG
    102.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 0
  • 103.JPG
    103.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 104.JPG
    104.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 101.JPG
    101.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 105.JPG
    105.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 106.JPG
    106.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 0
Looking good.

Where will the terminal building be located & fuel pumps?

Also how long before you run the power for the RV parking so we can have a large event like Bensen Days or Sun N Fun?

107.....short final in Bensen...I did not land and move my gyros here until some grass had grown

108.....slab poured for hangar.short cross-wind runway for the gyros-3-21-06

109.....10-11-2006 grass has grown

110.....sorry out of order...6-1-06 hangar finished except for doors....Bensen was lonely for a while

111.....10-11-2006...hangar finished

Continued.....more pics coming

Attachments

• 107.JPG
    107.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 108.JPG
    108.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 109.JPG
    109.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 110.JPG
    110.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 111.JPG
    111.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 0
Mike M

Now that is what I call a very wide and multi-function levee. LOL. Looks really good. I agree we need a flyin there soon. Maybe you can call it McGowan Days. Then everyone comes topless. All gyros are trailered in behind a Motorhome. Nice pictures by the way. Thanks LMAO.

003.....toys in the hangar...taken today 4-1-07

004..... same

005..... me and my wife in the 7AC champ taken by unkown person at Thib's Fly-in just north of Abbeville

007.....taken today in Dominator

009.....approx 500 ft. looking northeast

016.....taken about a month ago when gyromike came over for a visit one day. The grass was still brown but starting to turn green.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 0
017.....taken today showing house, barn, hangar with doors open

018.....looking west with the big city of Kaplan in the background

023.....short final in Dominator...actually I landed the other way in front of the hangar with no ground roll (impressed my neighbor)

026..... short crosswind runway on left

037.....2000 ft. looking west with Kaplan in background

Attachments

• 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 0
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 0
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 0
Yeah, sweet. Very sweet. Beautiful place, Mike.

Thanks guys for the compliments.

Scott....don't need apt in hangar....house is 300 ft. away.

Rudy....gas pump is 30 gal drum with 12 volt pump mounted on dolly in hangar, it works great. No more standing on stepladder pouring fuel in Dominator or Champ.
Maybe not a Bensen Days sized event but for sure we can have a chapter event here anytime.

Ron....just how MUCH do you like the Champ.....too bad you don't still have your RV-4.....I've been thinking about one lately.

I like them alot.... wanna do some swapping of some type?

Why is there a yellow tail in your hangar in the corner and a silver one on your gyro?

Which house is yours? The one on the end of the runway or the bigger one behind the hangar?

Is that GyroMikes Bensen in the one pic? Why does it have red blades?

I think you may have reached the limit for the # of questions in one post....LOL just kidding

If you still had your RV-4 then maybe we could work a deal.

Yellow tail is wood and was built by the builder of my Dom...I bought a metal tail from Ernie but it is not painted yet.

My house is on the end of runway....the large building behind the hangar is my neighbor's shop...his house is behind the shop

Yes I posted that gyromike came to visit one day....those are my Skywheels that came off your Bensen that I now have....he likes them a lot as he has been using them for over a year....pretty sure he had them on the machine last year at BD.

Are you going to register your strip with the FAA?

Looks great, lots of grass to cut to keep the wife busy. :)

Some dreams do come true, Mike.

Looks real nice. Congratulations.

Cheers :)

Scott,

Haven't decided about the registering with FAA...I probably will but I will wait until we lengthen it as I discussed in an earlier post.

Need a good name for the place.....suggestions?????

Forget about the wife cutting the grass.....it's not her thing.

I have a 5 ft. ZTR mower and I recently bought a 44" trail mower that I pull with an offset hitch so I cut 8.5 ft. per pass so it's not too bad now. Just the airstrip is approx 8 acres and I cut it last week in 1:15. The rest of the property is another two hours but I usually do not do it all together.

Is that GyroMikes Bensen in the one pic? Why does it have red blades?

Yep.

Like Mike mentioned, they came off the Bensen he bought from you. I have my DW's hanging on the wall because I need to machine some taller towers to use the top hole in the DW teeter block. But now I'll use the DW's on the Dominator when it's finished. I already made new towers for it.

So I tried the Skywheels in the meantime. They work pretty good, but not quite as efficient as the DW's.

Looks great Mike. Now come on, you're not telling us the whole story. NO wife sits by and let's her husband put together a sweet deal like this without a BIG payback. What did it cost you, a big rock on her finger? Also probably good she won't mow the grass....a wife that would let you build that AND mow the grass would have a lot of guys after her.

Richard.....no big rock on her finger...she's just a great lady.

When we married in 1993, she knew I had been an aviation nut since I was 17 years old and nothing or nobody was going to change that.

I got my wife to live in a hangar, But i have to build her a rec room.