English Proficiency and ADS-B

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
As pilots, the FAA requires that we demonstrate minimal proficiency in English, to ensure that we can communicate with ATC and other airspace users. They clearly don't apply the same standards within the FAA. Just try to read this paragraph copied EXACTLY from the beginning of an FAASafety.gov e-mail I received this week:

Am I safer with ADS-B when I am operating in the National Airspace System (NAS)?
A 5-year FAA study, which focused on general aviation (GA) and small air taxi accidents in the continental U.S. and small air taxi accidents in Alaska between 2013 and 2018,focused on general aviation (GA) and small air taxi accidents in the continental U.S. and small air taxi accidents in Alaska between 2013 and 2018. The results show a significant reduction in the accident and fatal accident rates for aircraft equipped with ADS-B Out and In compared with those that were not equipped, in part due to the cockpit displays that pilots typically add when installing the avionics.focused on general aviation (GA) and small air taxi accidents in the continental U.S. and small air taxi accidents in Alaska between 2013 and 2018. The results show a significant reduction in the accident and fatal accident rates for aircraft equipped with ADS-B Out and In compared with those that were not equipped, in part due to the cockpit displays that pilots typically add when installing the avionics. showed a significant reduction in the accident and fatal accident rates for aircraft equipped with ADS-B Out and In compared with those that were not equipped. This was due in part to the cockpit displays that pilots typically add when installing the avionics. ADS-B In provides air-to-air and ground-to-air (from FAA radar) traffic and through the 978 MHz UAT link, a variety of weather products, including local and regional NEXRAD and weather at airports.

Sometimes I wonder if they are using AI [or maybe A(nv)I, Artificial not-very-Intelligent] systems instead of people to edit their materials.

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
Yeah, I noticed that too. That's what happens when no one actually reads the email before someone hits SEND TO WORLD.

mark treidel

Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
3000 +
Here is a prime example of FAA wisdom and double talk. Spot On!!

Subject: FAA NPRM
NOTICE OF PROPOSED RULEMAKING (NPRM)
Part 0, Section 000 (a) 1(c)

Section I - No pilot or pilots, or person or persons acting on the direction or suggestion or supervision of a pilot or pilots may try, or attempt to try or make, or make attempt to try to comprehend or understand any or all, in whole or in part of the herein mentioned Aviation Regulations, except as authorized by the Administrator or an agent appointed by, or inspected by, the Administrator.

Section II - If a pilot, or group of associate pilots becomes aware of, or realizes, or detects, or discovers, or finds that he or she, or they, are or have been beginning to understand the Aviation Regulations, they must immediately, within three (3) days notify, in writing, the Administrator.

Section III - Upon receipt of the above-mentioned notice of impending comprehension, the Administrator shall immediately rewrite the Aviation Regulations in such a manner as to eliminate any further comprehension hazards.

Section IV - The Administrator may, at his or her discretion, require the offending pilot or pilots to attend remedial instruction in Aviation Regulations until such time that the pilot is too confused to be capable of understanding anything.

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
Are you sure about that?
Well, American English anyway. Not Strine, and not the Queen's patois.
If you get through the oral part of the practical exam, that's enough for a "pass" and you get a notation on your certificate.

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
Coincidentally, speaking of Stryan and the Queen's english, the fourth "Ashes" cricket match is concluding today, in England. For those unfamiliar with that game, it's a bit like baseball, in that you hit a thrown ball with a bat in order to score runs. But then it's different. Here's a basic explanation:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in twice and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

MilesW

Aircraft
Sportcopter M912
Total Flight Time
1400+ Gyro
Well, American English anyway. Not Strine, and not the Queen's patois.
If you get through the oral part of the practical exam, that's enough for a "pass" and you get a notation on your certificate.
While many pilots on this forum do regularly demonstrate a minimal proficiency in English, I suspect the FAA would prefer a minimum proficiency.

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
Sorry - missed the humor the first time. I've never seen a certificate revoked for being too literate, but with the government, there's always a surprise lurking.

kolibri282

Thank you for sharing this one, Wasp, you made my evening (22:00 German time)! Today Governments have no problem whatsoever throwing this kind of yaksh...t at the public but woe betides you if your answer is likewise....;-)