Engine Weights

Some Subarus and Mazda engines can get pretty heavy, but they are also producing huge power.
There are so many variables, you should start with something that has been proven.
And as you learn, you will better understand.
A gyrobee, or sparrow (drop keel bensen) with a rotax will be the lightest and easiest to build. Take a good look at Grant R's jake-built gyro, it is very simple,
uses an older 503 with belt drive, and grant has been flying it just fine.

It is a bad idea to be a new pilot as well as a test pilot at the same time. :)

Hi Tim

If you go to "tractor gyro" thread and go to the thread by Bob Gregory (old thread) and see the South African gyro named Springkaan, it is using a Toyota Supra 6 cyl engine with 420 hp, very big gyro!!!! Doesn't say the weight though.

Tony

I'm definitely not planning on doing this by myself and not for this project. Here are some of the engine specs:

-1,997 cc
-11.7:1 compression
-240 hp @ 8300 rpm
-redline @ 9000 rpm
-weight - approx. 325 lbs.

This weight may include the transmission. The source didnt specify. So it may drop the weight quite a bit. It definitely is not as heavy as the Toyota Supra engine. I was just dreaming last night when I ran across this. This would be a team effort that would require the help of quite a few people if it ever happened. I'm sticking to basics for my first gyro.

I also would like to get some answers on rotary engines 1. are they practical 2. are they as reliable as I have read? 3. Hi guys I'm new incase you hadn't noticed and I am a licensed private pilot and want to get into gyros they seem to be a very cool aircraft and safe if flown within there flight envolopes

I also would like to get some answers on rotary engines 1. are they practical 2. are they as reliable as I have read? 3. Hi guys I'm new incase you hadn't noticed and I am a licensed private pilot and want to get into gyros they seem to be a very cool aircraft and safe if flown within there flight envolopes
Do a forum search "Mazda" and you will find some discussions.
I think this was one of the more recent ones:
http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23825&highlight=mazda

Welcome to the forum