Engine removal required for timing belt?

dunc

Aircraft
AR-1C 915is, RAF/SH/SC
Total Flight Time
I want to inspect my oil pump and timing belt on 2.5 SOHC engine. Does this require engine removal? Seems like lower mast is in the way otherwise.

I replace my timing belt without removing the engine but I have made a vertical cut in the cover behind the crank pulley so that

the two pieces can be removed from either side without taking the crank pully off which required removing the engine to do so.

I believe the engine must be raised up to take the pan off,so if you have to,then cut the cover so it can be removed in the future without

taking the engine out.

So the bottom line answer is "yes" - at least for the first time, and certainly for oil pump removal for inspection? I will also look into fabricating a special socket tool that might fit between the mast and crank pulley.

Even if you can remove the bolt from the crank pulley the pulley wont slide far enough forward to come off,you don't need to remove the pulley to replace the timing belt.

as for the oil pump it usually is replaced when the engine is overhauled,I have never heard of one going bad.

Eddie, If you Google Subaru Low Idle Oil Pressure "screws" (the quotes indicate "screws" is a required term) you will find six examples, including some YouTube videos, where the oil pump had internal screws backing out. Granted these are not "Gyro" incidences, but I think it warrants an inspection. Just imagine all the times it was this issue, but not reported on the many Subaru threads nor YouTube! I have received nothing further from other RAF or Subaru gyro owner operators. I may find nothing wrong, but I am at least going to take a look.

When I overhauled my engine some 650 hrs ago I replaced the oil pump and found nothing wrong with it,The is the first time I

have heard of that issue but now is the time to check it.I would just replace the pump with a new one and then take the old pump

apart and see what its like.The next engine I have I am going to completely overhaul it before putting it in service,my experience has

taught me that it will save a lot of headaches,and you will have a reliable non issue engine to start with.

Please let me know what you find.