Engine mount questions

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
I am making the engine supports for the gyro, I was wondering if I need some sort of triangulation to help counteract torque on the engine mount boom, here is a couple of pics.

Attachments

• gyro in shop2.JPG
    gyro in shop2.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 2
  • gyro in shop2 eng mount.jpg
    gyro in shop2 eng mount.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1
  • gyro in shop3.JPG
    gyro in shop3.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 2
  • gyro in shop1.JPG
    gyro in shop1.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 2
Yes I would add the bracing. Looks like you really cleaned up your workshop!!!

I spent the last two weeks insulating, drywalling, painting the floor and adding a suspended ceiling. It is nice to work in now. Mary and I have been busy! I got gravel put down for the driveway too. we've been busy!

Would you just put one brace like the yellow lines, or would you brace it to the axle also, blue lines. The old engine mounted to the mast like a firewall mount, so I am unsure how much I need to keep the torque from twisting the mount boom.

I was kidding about your workshop, I thought those pics were taken from your place of work, Not until you mentioned it, did I see it WAS your AT HOME workshop! WOW what a transformation. If you treat the whole house as you did your shop, by next years SX days the place will be looking like it should be on MTV's show Cribs.

About the mount. I would go with the yellow only - not the blue - and ditch the rear bracket you got on there now and replace it with a bracket running down at a angle to the split keel custer cheekplates.

Any thoughts about the radiator mounting? I still think mounting above the engine back close to the prop will be best and cleanest installation.

Scott, the shop looks really great. It does look like a different place. Re the mounts, I would consider using the blue lines, but maybe spread them slightly at the bottom, and pull them in to the 2 x 2 at the top. I would also mount them without drilling any new holes in the axle tubing. It's difficult to tell in the pics exactly what you have now. Is the seat sufficiently supported?

It's looking really good Scott. I know you'll be happy to get it finished.

It's looking like you'll need to plan to meet Sonny on Sunday.

Gees Scott,your shed is cleaner than the local hospitol,not that that would be hard tho.

I Respectfully disagree with Chuck on the blue lines. I would not - and can not ever remember seeing others this way - brace the engine mount to the axle. The axle is prone to bending and breaking, and if so I would not want it to affect where the engine is going afterwards. The axle will flex, especially on your grass strip. If the engine is braced to the axle then everytime the axle flexes, the loads go into the entire engine mount system.

Here is some pics I have showing how engines are mounted on a few gyros. Remember that on a dominator the tube running down from the mount to the axle is not a fixed tube, it has a pivot point for the suspension.

Attachments

• falcon gyro.jpg
    falcon gyro.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 13F04-5-11(16-21).jpg
    13F04-5-11(16-21).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 14F04-5-11(16-21).jpg
    14F04-5-11(16-21).jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 3F04-5-16(16-0).jpg
    3F04-5-16(16-0).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
A couple of pics of how I changed mine. Before I fitted the current undercarriage / suspension (recognise it Birdy :D) I had a Tube axle like on Scotts with engine mount brace to the axle. One did in fact brake and the other developed a crack. (and my landings arent bad....well most anyway).

I changed it to this and as you can see I am prepared to forgo a little extra weight in the name of redundant strength. I also fitted a top mount from engine ,( EA81) to mast and also braces from the front of the engine mount to the mast.

BTW this is about where I am at with rebuilt after my bingle.

Attachments

• Eng Mt.JPG
    Eng Mt.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Frame.JPG
    Frame.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 2
More like this?

Attachments

• gyro in shop2 mtng1.JPG
    gyro in shop2 mtng1.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 2
  • gyro in shop3 mtng3.JPG
    gyro in shop3 mtng3.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 2
Scott that get's my vote. I am not a gyroplane designer either though. But for what it is worth, but that is clearly what the Dominator uses and I would say it is a well proven way of bracing the engine mount. Maybe one of the real gyro design experts could comment here with their two cents......

I think part of what attracts some to gyros is the fact that there is no wrong or right way of doing stuff like this engine mount. one way will have some advantages and disadvantages over another, but in most cases there IS more than one way to do it. Heck you could put on 4 or 5 more braces and have it strong enough to use to pull trucks out of the ditch when the roads get icy this winter, but then you run into a weight issue and alot of it is unneeded. When all else fails remember this KISS, you know what it stands for.

Last edited:
If you go with that design what do you see when viewed from the side and the back? Triangles.....

Scott, in Ron's pics in post #7, the first pic is not very clear, but it appears that there is some kind of engine support mounted to the axle tubing. You know what kind of landings you do, and only you can determine how much anti-torque support you want. For the type of takeoffs and landings that I do, even on grass, I wouldn't have a problem with engine supports mounted close to the center of the axle, but still far enough out to give me the support that I would want. But, only you know how much anti-torque support you want.

That's why I am looking forward to going to ROC so I can take lots of pictures and get lots of Idea's.

Hey Chuck, sometimes I make good landings, and sometimes not so good ones! ---see pic--- :eek:

Attachments

• gyro crash 3 small.JPG
    gyro crash 3 small.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 1
In the first Pic Chuck mentions, the engine is not supported by braces going to the Axle. The braces you see that look like they may go to the engine mount, go to the mast under the engine mount.

That gyro will be at ROC too, I believe.

Take a look at the gyrobee pics. They don't have any of these braces were discussing.

I also noticed the gyrobee doesn't use any braces, but it was designed for a 447 rotax, Hmm?

Several bees fly with Rotax 503's and at least one is flying with a 582.

Scott's original post: I am making the engine supports for the gyro, I was wondering if I need some sort of triangulation to help counteract torque on the engine mount boom, here is a couple of pics.

Ron, it seems that you have eluded Scott's original post to this thread, as none of your replies have addressed it. If Scott mounted the braces 6" from the center of the axle tubing, the flex that you mentioned earlier would be, at the most, just a few thousandths of an inch at that point, and he would get plenty of torque support for the engine mount.

I think Scott's original idea of suppling some torque support for the engine is a good one, and I was simply addressing his original idea.