Endorsement for class B, C and D airspace.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
While at Bensen Days I was approached about endorsing a Sport Pilot’s log book for privileges in Class B, C and D airspace so I pulled out my FAR/AIM and looked up 61.325. The question arose with some debate about what the pilot was required to demonstrate in his aircraft and where.

In my opinion the pilot is only required to perform three take offs and landings at any towered airport.

Another CFI felt this needed to be performed at all three classes of towered airports.

I felt the exchange highlighted an area of confusion so I thought I would write about it.

The aeronautical knowledge part of it is very important so be prepared to demonstrate or learn what you need to know to operate in B,C and D airspace as outlined in 61.325.

§ 61.325 How do I obtain privileges to operate a light-sport aircraft at an airport within, or in airspace within, Class B, C, and D airspace, or in other airspace with an airport having an operational control tower?
If you hold a sport pilot certificate and seek privileges to operate a lightsport aircraft in Class B, C, or D airspace, at an airport located in Class B, C, or D airspace, or to, from, through, or at an airport having an operational control tower, you must receive and log ground and flight training. The authorized instructor who provides this training must provide a logbook endorsement that certifies you are proficient in the following aeronautical knowledge areas and areas of operation:
(a) The use of radios, communications, navigation system/facilities, and radar services.
(b) Operations at airports with an operating control tower to include three takeoffs and landings to a full stop, with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern, at an airport with an operating control tower.
(c) Applicable flight rules of part 91 of this chapter for operations in Class B, C, and D airspace and air traffic control clearances.

Attachments

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
I agree with you, Vance, and disagree with "another" CFI. You must be trained FOR that airspace, but that is not the same as being trained IN that airspace.

Take-off and landing a gyroplane at most Class B airports will be extremely inconvenient for everybody (including pilot, ATC, other users) but the endorsement is still very, very important for transit through Class B airspace, which can be very useful.

Tyger

I agree with you, Vance, about the landings (at any towered airport), but one thing that a CFI would really need to verify is if the Sport Pilot understands communications procedures for Class B and C. Approaching B and C airspace, as you know, is pretty different from Class D, both in radio comms (e.g approach control) and with the requirement for an altitude encoding transponder (and its use) and (soon) ADS-B Out.

To rephrase it...

If you want to operate in airspace within, Class B, C, and D airspace, or an airport having an operational control tower?

You need to obtain a logbook endorsement that certifies you are proficient in the following aeronautical knowledge areas and areas of operation:
* The use of radios, communications, navigation system/facilities, and radar services.
* Applicable flight rules ... for operations in Class B, C, and D airspace and air traffic control clearances

* And make three takeoffs and landings to a full stop, with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern, at an airport with an operating control tower.
- - -

The control tower will be in at least Class D airspace by default.
Nothing even suggests you need to make 3 Fulls stops at an airport in each of the Major Airspace classes.
Pretty much the same requirements as a Primary Student Pilot.

Can you image dozens of Light Sport aircraft requesting 3 stop and goes at Chicago, Atlanta, New York, or any of the other one of only 37 Class B airports in the US!