Encounter Over LAX - while crossing over LAX I was passed by a much faster aircraft...

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
This is a good example of why I don’t use the mini route or special flight rules corridors over LAX.

I go around or under the LAX class Bravo.

Gyroplanes are hard to see and most pilots are looking for wings.

Our wings are invisible.

ATC may be unfamiliar with slower moving aircraft and to busy to do a good job of managing closing speeds and watching your back.

PeterFromLA

Aircraft
American Ranger AR-1, Kallithea
Total Flight Time
400+
This is a good example of why I don’t use the mini route or special flight rules corridors over LAX.
I agree with you, that is why I was vigilant and the moment I heard about a twin barreling down on me from behind, I was on the radio telling him I ma a slow-mover. He sidestepped and we avoided the drama.

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
As I was landing there, back in July, the tower at busy Republic airport (KFRG) had to warn a small jet, approaching too fast after I had turned final, to slow down, several times. I guess he was unable to slow enough, though, because the tower eventually made him go around.
As I was just turning off onto a taxiway, I heard the other pilot ask the tower, somewhat incredulously, "Was that a helicopter that just landed on the runway?!" 😊

Last edited:

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
I used to land my old Sikorsky (on wheels) on runways when I had a heavy load, rolling it on while maintaining ETL, so I could surface taxi off with no need to hover.

DavePA11

That jet was really far away. I had a small jet go by behind me in CT where I could see the people looking through the little windows…

I was in my 1946 Cub with with no electrical (no transponder) flying pretty low flying from the back seat with door/window open and feet out the side on a nice sunny summer day. Not sure why it was so low. Must have been on a long final to one of the class D airports… I was flying the red line, and think the jet was going down V91 as shown below…. Not sure any more… Or maybe it was north east a bit and they were landing at Waterbury? . Victor airways extend from 1,200' AGL up to, but not including, FL180. Why would a jet fly so low? I don’t recall my altitude, but normally 1000 to 2000’ AGL.

1631976619047.jpeg

Last edited:

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Flying east, in a FW, on flight following, above a cloud layer over Houston Tx. Once looked into the eyes of the co-pilot of an Airliners that they had directed on takeoff through the clouds as if a missile tiring to shoot me down.

The co-pilot and a few passengers were as wide-eyed as I was.
The wing missed me by LESS than a football field on that day.

When I asked if they were going to launch any other airliners at me.
They said that was not supposed to happen on flight following.

chrisk

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Magni M24, Turbo Mooney 231
Total Flight Time
For me, I'd much rather be in Class B. I've generally found the controllers to be very pro-active in providing separation and calling out traffic. The only complaint I've ever had is poor routing. --It's one thing in a fast plane, but in a gyro with a head wind, out of the way routing can be really painful.