Enclosed Gyro Trailer

It's going to take them about a month to build it, but I will post some pictures when I get it, and as I build stuff for it.
Brad[/QUOTE]

Greetings Brad:

Just wondering how the progress is going on your trailer ... have any pictures on file...

I'm actually in New Zealand at the moment until Feb. 18th when I`ll be treading my way back to Canada.. will be doing some flyin down to Masterton for an Airshow & then on to Dannivirke for the AGM for the Auto Gyro Association the following weekend so just been great.. weather is superb..

Thanks

Just an update...
I feel like Stan... They told me 3 weeks ago it would be done in 2 weeks... Now it should be done next week... I am not going to hold my breath. I ordered a weight distribution hitch for a 15k trailer and 1,700 lb tongue weight. This should help the ride on windy days. I also ordered up some airbags to level the truck with the camper and trailer. Hopefully pics next week!
Brad

trailer

trailer

Photo my trailer for RAF 2000 GTX

Attachments

• 9050d9e_20.jpg
    9050d9e_20.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 82463kl_20.jpg
    82463kl_20.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 5928120_20.jpg
    5928120_20.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 6963n2i_20.jpg
    6963n2i_20.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 15
Just an update...
I feel like Stan... They told me 3 weeks ago it would be done in 2 weeks... Now it should be done next week... I am not going to hold my breath. I ordered a weight distribution hitch for a 15k trailer and 1,700 lb tongue weight. This should help the ride on windy days. I also ordered up some airbags to level the truck with the camper and trailer. Hopefully pics next week!
Brad

I can't wait to see what you have going on Brad! No idea what weight distribution hitch or airbag levels are. Maybe I need some of that action! Seems to be a slow start to the new year for everyone. Even the forum has been kinda sluggy lately. Thought there would be more building going on since most are confined to be within 10 feet of our heaters :)

Update!!
They called monday and said it was ready for pickup.. I am heading over tomorrow after lunch to pick this beast up. I will take some pics of it and post them tomorrow if I don't get home too late.
Brian,
The hitch looks like this..
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200333979_200333979
The purpose of it is to take some of the weight on the rear tires of the truck and put it on the front. The gyro will ride somewhere near the center of the trailer. (Over the axles)
All the tools, generator, fuel, kitchen sink, and whatever else I can find to put in there will ride up front. This will put more weight than a normal person would want on the tongue of the trailer. Keep in mind, we are not normal... we fly gyro's.
The airbags are just to help the little ole leaf springs out on the truck so it doesn't squat as bad when everything is loaded up.
Brad

Nice trailer, I will need something like that!

Very Long Day

Very Long Day

Well,
I am tired and headed off to bed but I thought I would throw up a couple cell phone pics so you guys could take a look.
Big doesn't describe it very well. I pulled it around 70 miles home today on a very curvy road. It seems to pull real nice under 65 mph. It sways back and forth if you go any faster. I am hoping some tongue weight will make her smooth out for freeway driving. Maybe even a sway bar.
Enjoy! More pics in the coming weeks as I get it all dialed in.
Brad

Attachments

• IMG_0600.jpg
    IMG_0600.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0601.jpg
    IMG_0601.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 8
Wow brad. Where do you put the mail box? :). That thing is amazing for 12k. I have the same truck. Unleaded or diesel? Interested to hear updates as you work on the sway and ride. I would like something bigger myself. How much room do you have from the front and back walls to the blade tiPs? Seems close in the pic but those can be decieving. Is rocking back and forth going to be an issue or good to go? Thanks for the pics and congrats!

Brian,
I have a total of 2' to spare on the length. I have around 1'' to spare on the height as the rotorhead comes through the Door. The sway thing should be able to be fixed and might even be as simple as adjusting the load/ tongue weight/trailer hight ect.
The truck is a 08, 2500 , duramax, crew, short bed.
Brad

That thing is huge!! Do you plan to put in an area where you can also use it as a "camper" to go to fly-ins with?

I am amazed that it swayed, your weight distributing hitch should also act as sway bars,maybe you took too much weight with them.Also ensure all the trailer tires are the same pressure.

Mike,
My first plan was to put living quarters in it. Then I figured it would be too much work and just bought a camper instead. Really the only fly in close to me is ROTR and I plan to be there. If I can afford diesel that is.

James,
I didn't have the weight distributing hitch on the truck when I brought it home. In fact, it just came in the mial today along with the airbags... I got the airbags on tonight and the camper all loaded for it's maiden camping trip. If I didn't take the girlfriend camping this weekend she was going to camp in the yard.. LOL
I think the wind was causing it to sway, but I am not sure. The camper should also act as a wind break for the trailer too.
Trailer dry weight is 7500# and it has 600# of tongue weight. It will end up having alot more tongue weight fully loaded, but that's not a good thing either.
Brad
Brad

Trailer looks great... I like your idea about the camper on the truck..etc..

Thanks Ever So Much for all the progress reports and I'll touch base with you once I'm back in Canada.. Just flew a Calidus in Tauranga New Zealand for the 1st time today.. was excellent here is a photo of the machine..

Attachments

• DSC_6130_01.JPG
    DSC_6130_01.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 2
The trailer is getting closer to being mobile!

The trailer is getting closer to being mobile!

I have been working on the trailer every chance I get. I have the bench and the rotor box built. I am still working on a good way to remove the rotor inside by myself, but the lack of head room is making it hard to engineer. There is only about 3'' to spare when the rotor is over the rotorhead.
It's fairly easy to remove with 2 people on ladders.
Here are a couple pictures.
Brad

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 8
Hi Brad

Will ask a rather redundant question as it has probably already been considered, but have you thought of combining your rotor removal system with a blade storage system in the roof, lift it off, and lock it in the roof ??

Tony

OOps, I see Steve has already described it ..

Last edited:
Hi Brad

Will ask a rather redundant question as it has probably already been considered, but have you thought of combining your rotor removal system with a blade storage system in the roof, lift it off, and lock it in the roof ??

Tony

Tony,
That was my first thought.. My second thought was they cost over 5k. I really like the idea of having them in a flat box while rolling down the road.
I am sure it could be done though.
Brad

Ok , next thought is the roof strong enough to support a nice padded "inverted' blade box the the blades would be lifted into then closed, or is there just not enough room to build this ??

Tony

You've got to be careful transporting your ride with the blades on. I saw Ernie and Stan perform an experiment with a Dominator but it would effect all rides the same. As we bounced the trailer simulating bumps in the road. The mast would flex and squeeze Stan's hand he had between the mast and the seat. Ernie pointed out this flex is causing metal fatigue in the mast = not good!

Is it possible to construct some type of stabilizing device to keep the mast from flexing when traveling? If you lock the rotor head down, and support the blade tips, would that work? Much easier than removing the blades.

Dave

Ok , next thought is the roof strong enough to support a nice padded "inverted' blade box the the blades would be lifted into then closed, or is there just not enough room to build this ??

Tony

Tony,
The problem with that, is the box would limit the amount of room your rotor has during loading and unloading the machine.
You can see in the pics I have my rotor box mounted up high on the left wall. I just need a trolley and a way to winch the rotors up 5 or 6 inches with limited head room.
Brad