Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

trl0219

Hello everybody,

I'm looking at going to Embry-Riddle sometime next year. I have heard different things about it that worry me. Is there anybody here on the forum that has gone there or that knows someone that has? I am looking for honest opinions and a little explanation if possible as to why you feel that way. I heard that it was all about the name, but at the same time everybody that has said that started with, "Don't get me wrong, it's a great school for aviation..."

I am looking to major in aerospace engineering and I am exploring all options. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks everybody,

Tim

Well Tim what is your end goal ? Where do you want to be in ten years ?

It is the name you will pay for no question about it. As for rotorcrafts they don't offer anything. We teach them at Tomlinson Aviation just north of Daytona. Lot's of spoiled rotten kids, mostly Mommy or Daddy in the Law business who don't care much about money. And it shows. Absolutely no chicks and the locals stay away from Riddle students as if they were carrying some disease. Good name in the industry but your timing is terrible. Pilots with thousand of hours are lining up for pitiful jobs just to smell the Jet A. If this is what you want to do and want to fly you'd better prepare for a long and hard road. Just an honest opinion. I hope you have a plan B.
Best to you.

I can't help you with the engineering,
I have an AS in professional aeronautics from Embry Riddle, I got it trough a satellite school at Ft Bragg in 1991 when I was in the Air Force.
I has not hurt me any.

For aeronautical engineering, I'd look into:

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Georgia Tech
Clarkson University
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Virginia Tech
Penn State
University of Colorado-Boulder

At least those are some of the schools I looked at. If you're interested in aero rather than space, make sure the school emphasizes the aero part. A lot just emphasize the space section.

My school allows you to pick helicopter, airplanes, or space vehicles in your senior year. It seems like they may be trying to change that, but I don't know what the plan is.

The school I go to allows you to dual major in aeronautical and mechanical engineering. While there is some debate about whether it is good to get the dual major, I believe it has helped me to find summer internships more easily than some of my friends just pursuing aeronautical degrees.

As Fly Army said, it depends a lot on your end goals.

I would love to work for NASA. Wouldn't we all. I really want to design and build spacecraft. I'm still really trying to decide what part of the engineering I want to do. My top choices are propulsion and design. I feel like it won't be long before deep space travel is necessary. If NASA doesn't have room I would like to work for a private space company or with the military. Am I dreaming too much? As you can tell I need some advice.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim dreams are what drive us. They are our inspiration and driving force.

I think your dreams are magnificent ones.

I regret that I have little information to give regarding Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. It has been a great name for many years, however as others have said one can end up paying for the name when the quality has dissapeared. You have started your research on where to go and in time you will be getting some facts on where best to go. I wish you all the best.

I too believe that our future lies in the stars and that people with dreams like yours will be the way forward.

Oh NASA. Sure Riddle is your best bet being so close to Cape. They did have really good relationship with Riddle for the longest time, always only an hour away and always having significant amount of potential staff for them on a short notice :) So in that aspect Riddle is a great place to be. Well with the shuttle program going away it would be silly to think that the 3500 jobs that will be gone and those whom had already established a position and will be layed off are not the ones that would be rehired when there are openings. And I do believe there will be. It's only matter of time :) I think the future is bright. As Leigh said your dreams will take you where you want to be. I only give it to you straight up so you know what you are facing. It id doable. And yes Riddle is more expensive than most. But that's the price to pay for being able to sit close to the fire. Good luck with your dreams. We do need dreamers.......I know I am one :)

I would love to work for NASA. Wouldn't we all. I really want to design and build spacecraft. I'm still really trying to decide what part of the engineering I want to do. My top choices are propulsion and design. I feel like it won't be long before deep space travel is necessary. If NASA doesn't have room I would like to work for a private space company or with the military. Am I dreaming too much? As you can tell I need some advice.

Thanks,
Tim
Hey Tim .... if you need rocket science advice you are have come to the right place :)

I got thinking that for someone like you there could be a lot of opportunity outside of NASA that you might find interesting. Even here on the Canadian Prairie we have several companies successfully building and launching rockets , satellites , and atmospheric testing equipment.

Here are a couple that are near me for example , and I am sure you could find lots in your area as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Brant_(rocket)
http://www.sedsystems.ca/history

If you like reading get a copy of Rocket Boys by Homer Hickam. Fantastic story about Virginia coal town kids who designed and built their own rockets in the 1950's and went on to work for NASA. One of my favorite books.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_Boys
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer_Hickam

That's all the rocket science I know Tim. The rest is up to you :) Good luck with your career

Arnie

Tim:
If you're interested in an aviation career, ERAU is hard to beat. But if you're interested in aerospace, take a look at Florida Institute of Technology. FL Tech was founded to facilitate continuing education for space workers and has several former astronauts on their faculty. Several ERAU graduates have flown aboard the Shuttle. Both schools have both male and female students, graduate and undergraduate, BTW. In response to the inevitable flames, I served on the Engineering Physics Advisory Board at ERAU and the Electrical and Computer Engineering Advisory Board at Florida Tech.

Several of the posters so far are from Florida or nearby, so naturally many of the comments assume you have the Florida campus in mind. ERAU also has extensive offerings at their Prescott, Arizona campus. Did you have plans for Florida or Arizona?

WaspAir - I am planning on going to Florida.

Penguin - I have heard that FIT was a great school as well. I have some questions for you. I'm sending you a PM.

Arnie - Canada is a little too cold for me. I am definitely interested in the private space companies though. It seems like I would have a little better chance getting a job than with NASA.

Gabor - I need straight forward advice. With the shuttle program ending, wouldn't you think they have a new program up their sleeves? I really feel like it is not the end of the shuttle program, but the beginning of the new era of space exploration. I want to be a part of that.

Thanks everybody,
Tim Langley

Tim

NASA is somewhat at the mercy of politics, so kind of keep track of that.

Tony

Various Administrations have different priorities with regard to space programs and funding. This one seems to be scaling back on the civilian front.

I would have to believe however that the military and 'High Ground' concept may well see at least some development continuing, and that may well be an avenue to explore.

Gabor - I need straight forward advice. With the shuttle program ending, wouldn't you think they have a new program up their sleeves? I really feel like it is not the end of the shuttle program, but the beginning of the new era of space exploration. I want to be a part of that.

Tim I think you are right about the something new part. I don't believe the achievement of NASA will be just thrown away and with a little effort in the near future we might end up with some decent leadership who will finance the American heritage and we will keep being the leaders of space exploration. Fingers crossed here. At the same time more and more privately owned companies are getting into gear to enter the competitive market after the government seizes to allocate funds for the program. As soon as that happens there is going to be a boom in the industry in order to grow and explore. Healthy competition always brings the best out. When that happens you might not need to be at a big name institution at all..... Just need to find the fastest growing company somewhere around the Mojave desert or so.....

Arnie - Canada is a little too cold for me. I am definitely interested in the private space companies though. It seems like I would have a little better chance getting a job than with NASA.
Thanks everybody,
Tim Langley

Sounds like a good deal Tim, I will take care of the cold up here if you take care of the rocket science down in your way:)

I think you are right , it looks like a lot more of the future space work will be done by private enterprise so there should be lots of opportunities for you. They look for people who are passionate about this type of work and it sounds like you are so that is good.

Isn't it Virgin Airlines who are doing a lot of development in space travel lately ? I think they are gearing for private tourist type space trips , but it does give an indication of what non NASA companies are capable of.

Virgin Galactic. They are really doing big things. They just launched their ship on it's maiden voyage a few days ago. I actually had them in mind for a job when I graduate. There is a whole list in Popular Science magazine. I picked it up a few weeks ago. They said that NASA would be turning over more to the private space companies doing things like supply missions to the International Space Station. Sounds good to me!

Thanks,
Tim Langley

Grasshopper - maybe elaborate a little on that? What should I do with my time? Not being sarcastic but are you saying join school clubs and do a lot of extra-curricular activities? Or come up with a new idea from what I learn that could lead to something great?

Thanks,
Tim

studie well ..contact the part of NASA and /or contractor that you want to work for now and start sending them updates on your progress through your application,studies,grades,activities...at first they will probably throw them in the trash but like a cartoon they will become intrested and if you are doing well you will be noticed...they will see where you are haveing a good time and relate it to there own school days..try it.