• Yes

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • No

Votes: 35 42.7%

• Total voters

WHY

Gold Member
Aircraft
Ercoupe and Cessna 150, 152, 172, 140, Aeronca,7ac, Citabria,Chief,Piper PA11,PA12
Total Flight Time
Hey Ray

For me , both would be a must

Tony

Udi

Platinum Member
I don't believe we should completely do away with the print version of Rotorcraft because that would cost us in membership. What I believe we should do first of all is create the infrastructure that will allow the PRA to offer an on-line version of Rotorcraft, PLUS additional material for members. These features, at a minimum, will add value to the PRA membership.

Once this infrastructure is in place we can do many things with it to save money and add additional revenue to the PRA. For example - as long as the printed version of Rotorcraft is printed in B/W, an on-line version might be in color. We may then ask members if they want to help save money for the PRA and opt-out of the printed version. This, at a minimum, will save a bunch of money in postage to the PRA.

One of the problems with Rotorcraft magazine is that it is not offered for sale to the general public in news stands and in stores. A magazine has to reach a certain critical mass before it is economical to sell in the news stands. I believe that many people are intrigued by gyros and would want to buy a copy of Rotorcraft once in a while. For these people, we can offer the magazine for sale on-line without them having to become members. People don't think twice about spending $5-6 on a magazine at a news stand. If we have the magazine on-line we can offer the on-line version for a reduced price or the print version for a full price. $5 will more than pay the incremental cost of printing another copy of the magazine and the cost of postage.

I agree with Chuck R. that the real stumbling block right now is the PRA web site. It would take a lot of work (and $) to make the PRA web site appealing to the general public. Then, programming and maintaining a member-only section and a commercial section (items for sale) will also take a lot of work. They say it costs money to make money and this is certainly true here. The PRA should attack this issue slowly but deliberately. We should lay out some long-term objectives for the web site and then start hammering at it. I believe that a well thought out web site will eventually pay for itself and help generate more revenue for the PRA, but it will not be built overnight and not without considerable commitment from the BOD and membership.

Udi

Last edited:

M. Pearce

Gold Member
Aircraft
Presently building a fixed wing!
Total Flight Time
Just a few!
Timchick,

I think they should just drop the magazine altogether.

Then the PRA would have absolutly nothing to offer the majority of it's members.

Compair the PRA to the EAA for one second and see how fast you think the PRA would disapeer.

Has anyone went to the EAA website lately to see what they have to offer it's members?

I think if the PRA made any negative changes about the magazine now it would go belly up within a year.

Go ahead, all you smart guys do what you gotta do and watch it sink like a rock.

I'd rather see the PRA go to a newspaper type paper than do away with it's only contact with non computer owning members.

My last issue of PRA magazine wasn't anything to bragg about anyway.

At least it was something to hold in my hand to read while on the toilet.

I have PRA magazines that are ten years old and loaded with information from good writers that weren't lazy and did their footwork.

If you ask me the content of todays magazine is crap compaird to back then.

Their is only one place to get a ginuine PRA magazine on this earth.

If you ask me the magzine is the PRA's lifeline, go ahead and jack with it until the PRA is history.

Last edited:

RayPierce

Gold Member
Aircraft
GyroBee
Total Flight Time
More than 20 less than a million.
No!!!

No!!!

Don't do away with the magazine!!!

What I was talking about was "ADDING" a feature for members.
Also generating revenue from non-members or potential members.

Those that want the magazine get a magazine.

Those that want only the cd to save printing costs get the cd.
Those that want past issues on a cd can get one for a fee.
The PRA needs revenue and to put someting out that we are proud of instead of something "to hold in my hand to read while on the toilet."

Some of you are making this way too complicated when it isn't.
Look at the EAA website and see all the goodies they offer for sale. http://www.eaa.org/

Are you politicians or something? Politicans are the only ones I know that can take something so simple and make it so complicated.:eek:

dragonflyerthom

Platinum Member
Aircraft
RAF 2000 GTX SE
Total Flight Time
183FW 132Gyro
That is a good looking site Ray.

My cousins was a EAA member for 40 years. I would read all of his mags from cover to cover.

Thom

Timchick

Tim Chick
Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex, 582 Greyhead
Total Flight Time
~30
Some very good ideas guys. I like the idea of having old issues down-loadable from the website for a small fee.

I wonder if the publishing costs of the mag could be shopped around to see if we can find a cheaper way to print it. Or has that already been done?

PW_Plack

If it has to be B&W for a while, going to newsprint seems like a reasonable option.

What about giving members the option to keep the old $40 dues, if they select electronic delivery?

As fiercely protective of their paper magazine as they are, I'm betting most PRA members are more fiercely protective of a $10 bill. :)

Chuck Roberg

Gyro's are more fun
Aircraft
SnoBird Tandem Gyro, Robinson R-22, Assorted Fixed Wing
Total Flight Time
What's the holdup?????

What's the holdup?????

I agree with Chuck R. that the real stumbling block right now is the PRA web site. It would take a lot of work (and $) to make the PRA web site appealing to the general public. Then, programming and maintaining a member-only section and a commercial section (items for sale) will also take a lot of work. They say it costs money to make money and this is certainly true here. The PRA should attack this issue slowly but deliberately. We should lay out some long-term objectives for the web site and then start hammering at it. I believe that a well thought out web site will eventually pay for itself and help generate more revenue for the PRA, but it will not be built overnight and not without considerable commitment from the BOD and membership.

One of our club members (Jim) designs and maintains web sites for a living. He voluntered his time to redo the PRA web site and to maintain it. He was told it needs a members only section. No problem he said.

So I Introduced Jim to Tim Blackwell, at the PRA convention, whom I was told was in charge of the web site. So far Jim is still waiting to hear what needs to be done with the PRA web site.

To see the web site he put together for our club, checkout:
gyroclub.com
And he can do a lot more fancier stuff than that.

rgraffeo

Gold Member
Aircraft
RAF 2000 GTX/SE
Total Flight Time
~500
I wonder if a sample CD could be sent along with one of the future issues to get some feedback from the membership.

Dean_Dolph

Aircraft
None but enough kits in the garage to keep me busy the rest of my life!
Total Flight Time
Zilch!
RayPierce said:
Dean I know many people have unique situatuons.
But your statement above compels me to ask do you take ALL your magazines with you when you leave home?
Uh, no! 39 years worth of mags is a little much to drag outside the house. But a half a dozen or so isn't bad.
RayPierce said:
A cd and a computer WOULD give you the capabilty to open at least 6 browser windows to search any cd and plus it gives you the added capability to look for specific words and phrases. The folder options that group topics together are endless limited only by your imagination unless.....you don't do computers.
I'm not sure I do 'puters but I've been using them since the Commodore 64 and Apple II days and I have built two this year. But actually that isn't too difficult; it is the debugging that is a chore. But then both of my son-in-laws are IT guys so if I have a problem.....

I find the computer to be a good tool and I use it as such but I also find that I miss a lot of stuff on the screen that I pick up as soon as I print stuff out. And to have 6 windows open at the same time is something I don't want to even think about!

dragonflyerthom

Platinum Member
Aircraft
RAF 2000 GTX SE
Total Flight Time
183FW 132Gyro
Dean I would never figure you as a techie. Does an old man like me good to know there are more of us. It is fun sometimes to run more than one program and multi task when it is possible.

Thom

Dean_Dolph

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Zilch!
dragonflyerthom said:
Dean I would never figure you as a techie. Does an old man like me good to know there are more of us. It is fun sometimes to run more than one program and multi task when it is possible.

Thom
Thom, since I retired I avoid multitasking as much as possible! I plod thru one thing at a time and sometimes don't even do that much!

Heron

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Golden Butterfly
Total Flight Time
7.5 h.
Is there a designated IT Manager for the PRA?
Someone that can coordinate the actions and analyze/suggest new ideas?
thanks
Heron

Dean_Dolph

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Zilch!
Heron, I can't answer that except that I know Tim Blackwell is heading up the web site team and I suspect that he is serving as the focal point. And even if there were a designated IT person; there is IT guys and then there IT guys. IT is a broad field and so any one IT individual might not have the expertise needed to perform the work needed.

As far as taking ideas and analyzing them and then defining the requirements for the web site are concerned; it doesn't take an IT indvidual to do that. It just takes a little knowledge of what a web site is capable of and some imagination. In fact forum members have made suggestions that pretty much cover the bases and the BoD list probably has those suggestions and more under consideration.

Defining desires and requirements isn't rocket science but designing the web site to satisfy them is getting close.

Heron

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Golden Butterfly
Total Flight Time
7.5 h.
See SEnsei?
Designated driver does not mean you gotta have MIchael Shumaker driving your car.
Whomever that person is and whatever knowledge it has, it is going to be our IT Manager.
I think you know what I am talking about all the time, you just have to respond in that convoluted way.
thanks
Heron

richard lidke

Littlewing Booster Aviat.
Aircraft
Little Wing 2+2
Total Flight Time
CD Magazine.

CD Magazine.

Booster Rich. I guess I am an old fuddy duddy, but I like the Magazine just as it is. It is a nice reference tool, and as "why" has said, it can easily be taken out to breakfast on a weekend.

It is nice to go to Mentone and select back copies for a reasonable price.

If we would all try to get another member for PRA it would help the magazine and everything else that is being worked on.

I enjoy the new magazine when I get one, and prefer to read it at my leasure without looking it up on the "e" every time. I would also pay a premium to keep "em" coming if necessary.

It is a lot of messing around to print something out, especially a whole magazine. If one does not have a computer, or a feature like a printer, the options become eliminated for those persons in that catagory.

There are many persons who do belong to PRA who may not have a computer, nor care to invest five bills to buy one just to get the magazine.

Thats my two cents. Worth it or not.

Booster Rich.:D

Heron

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Golden Butterfly
Total Flight Time
7.5 h.
My guess is most of them!
And if they are not . . .why?
Let's get'em . . .
Speak up non members, please?