Electronic Governor

Governor question.

Governor question.

Forgive my ignorance on the subject & in electronics.
Why a Futaba GY 701 cannot be adapted when all the parameters are already there.
Don't bite my head off.
Regards.
L.

Why a Futaba GY 701 cannot be adapted when all the parameters are already there.

Luciano, it's a great little device, and should be able to work. I've just not had the luxury of purchasing one, and testing it. What has stopped me is that I have not found a digital servo with slipper clutch. To me, this is important.

Unfortunately, the actuator drive signals are not the same. The GY-701 outputs an RC PDM "position command" signal, the actuators we have to drive directly off a PWM duty cycle signal.

Cheers,

Francois

Last edited:
Hi John .
Is it ok if I come to visit you and Rick around Bensen days ?? You eagle eyed flyer!!!!!.
Regards.
LUCIANO
Ps. I will ring you soon.

Luciano, You are more than welcome here anytime, Look forward to hearing from you. I was going to try to make it there myself this year, But right now its looking like I will be here, to many good things happening here to leave right now.

I managed to get the three point mount figured out based on the collective. I need my parts to get here so I can incorporate the mount into the actuator body.

Attachments

• 100_0335.JPG
    100_0335.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 9
  • BTM MNT.jpg
    BTM MNT.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 8
Parts is parts

Parts is parts

Today I got the actuator and controller in. Disassembled the actuator and started fitting the position of the new CNC machined actuator body to the collective. I have it all lined out and a simple 2D drawing done of what it will look like when done. Sorry the picture sucks but it looks like I need to order some office supplies like ink cartridges. I haven’t had time to 3D the body because I’m still waiting on a couple parts to arrive to finalize its true position.

Attachments

• DSC_0002_680.jpg
    DSC_0002_680.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 10
Luciano, it's a great little device, and should be able to work. I've just not had the luxury of purchasing one, and testing it. What has stopped me is that I have not found a digital servo with slipper clutch. To me, this is important.

Unfortunately, the actuator drive signals are not the same. The GY-701 outputs an RC PDM "position command" signal, the actuators we have to drive directly off a PWM duty cycle signal.

Cheers,

Francois

Thanks Francois.

Some bigger servos with metal gears would be adaptable (probably not a good idea)

Regards
L.

Hi Luciano,

The problem with servo's are, they cannot be overpowered when they drive. You want something that can have an adjustable "slip", so that it is just powerful enough to adjust the throttle hands-off, yet will slip if you hold the throttle firmly. You always want your hand on the collective, and if the governor does not play along well, you simply override it with as firmer grip command.

I looked at digital servo's which have no gearing resistance when not powered up. They will be free moving if the governor is not on. Once it kicks in, it will take 100% control of the throttle movement. If trouble comes along, a simple disconnect command can take away the servo power, making the absolutely free turning in an instant. This may work, if during a problem, you like a governor disconnect command, with the pilot taking over.

Cheers,

Francois

Hello Everyone!

I just joined this forum a few minutes ago and this is my first post. I have to say... I love it! Seems like a great group of people.

I currently have a 162F piston ship but plan on building an under-slung turbine (T62T-32) ship very soon. I'm just not a fan of the JetExec conversion kits out there as they seemed to have quite a few issues. Some of which have been updated/corrected but, I'm still not a fan of having the turbine mounted so high. There's a guy that's a few hours away from me that's building an amazing under-slung turbine Rotorway. He's building 2 of them and I'm hoping to buy one of them within the next few weeks.

When I first got into flying helo's I started in a R44 (@ $485/hr! :rolleyes:). After my 8th or 9th hour I purchased my Rotorway because I could I build my time for a fraction of the cost. So far I have zero regrets!

Right after I bought my ship I was hell bent on adding a governor but my instructor begged me not to. He said I would become a much better pilot without it (and he was right). After I was more comfortable he said it would be fine to add a governor.

After doing some research online I found this post. There's a lot of great information/suggestions within this post but I noticed that nobody has posted anything recently. Is anyone able to provide any updates on their governor?

Thanks!
-Sam

Welcome to the forum Sam. The Rotorways have interested me for some time. I hope to hear more here about your machine and flying adventures.

Todd

Thanks Todd! Rotorway's can be a lot of fun and they're actually very safe... As long as you keep up with your scheduled maintenance. Unfortunately, there are those who neglect their maintenance and then wind up in trouble which can make all Rotorways look bad. I love mine and look forward to building another soon!

I'm still hoping to hear from someone that has a reliable governor. Anyone? : )

Thanks!
-Sam

Governor is an automatic adjusting device, which can automatically increase or decrease the fuel supply of the injection pump according to the change of diesel engine load, so that the diesel engine can run at a stable speed. It can be used in various electrical equipment.
governor Cummins.jpg

Hello Everyone!

I just joined this forum a few minutes ago and this is my first post. I have to say... I love it! Seems like a great group of people.

I currently have a 162F piston ship but plan on building an under-slung turbine (T62T-32) ship very soon. I'm just not a fan of the JetExec conversion kits out there as they seemed to have quite a few issues. Some of which have been updated/corrected but, I'm still not a fan of having the turbine mounted so high. There's a guy that's a few hours away from me that's building an amazing under-slung turbine Rotorway. He's building 2 of them and I'm hoping to buy one of them within the next few weeks.

When I first got into flying helo's I started in a R44 (@ $485/hr! :rolleyes:). After my 8th or 9th hour I purchased my Rotorway because I could I build my time for a fraction of the cost. So far I have zero regrets!

Right after I bought my ship I was hell bent on adding a governor but my instructor begged me not to. He said I would become a much better pilot without it (and he was right). After I was more comfortable he said it would be fine to add a governor.

After doing some research online I found this post. There's a lot of great information/suggestions within this post but I noticed that nobody has posted anything recently. Is anyone able to provide any updates on their governor?

Thanks!
-Sam

Why high?
#1 ease of maintenance
#2 installation of a fire wall easier
#3 leaves space for a single fuel tank with baggage
#4 exhaust away from grass and intake away from fuel
#5 mass balance between pilots and engine pass through AC C/G better handling
#6 no added tubes more strength no added weight
#7 Drive line lines up with less parts
#8 I designed it that way 🤪

Instead of having to think up a governor control loop and electronics to make it work, I got myself an EG3000 governor controller. It's got tuneable adjustments for just about all the parameters I can think of that needs fine tuning to make it work. I'll connect it to my R-22 actuator and give it a whirl to make it work.

Cheers, F.

Attachments

• Actuator.jpg
    Actuator.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 15
  • EG3000.jpg
    EG3000.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 15
Made some progress towards the engine governor for Skeeter Jr again. I needed to come up with the correct pulses/rev to match the EG3000 controllers input range. The best match to suit the engine 6134RPM was to operate the governor in it's 600Hz - 1200Hz range. With 11 pulses/rev I'll be able to set the govern setpoint from 54% RPM to 106% RPM, and set a flight idle setpoint as low as 1840RPM. This should be perfect, setting the ground idle rotor RPM where the clutch has fully engaged, and in-flight adjustable RRPM from 98% to 102%. So I had to develop this 11 teeth reluctor wheel to attach to the engine output shaft, to drive the EG3000's speed sensor input.

At the same time, I also had to develop getting the usual 6 pulses/rev from my Yamaha FX Nytro installation which does not have the usual Ducati style magneto signal to drive the Westach Engine/Rotor RPM indicator. So another reluctor wheel, this time with 6 teeth to drive the engine RPM indicator.

I had 2 mild steel patterns water jet cut, and machined corresponding halves from 6061-T6 Ali. I bonded the sets together and machined down the outer faces down to the steel tips to end up with two good looking reluctor wheels.

Next step, setting up a test rig to see if it works.

Cheers, Francois

Reluctor Wheel Parts.jpg

Reluctor Wheels.jpg

Last edited: