Electronic Governor

MH1FLYER

We Fix Legends!
Mosquito Governor

Mosquito Governor

Francios,

Here’s a look at the mosquito governor install I did on my machine back in 5/18/2010. I bought it from Rotor FX and never could get it to work right with the Yamaha engine. We determined that the engine was too responsive for the electronics. The guys at Rotor FX we very helpful and when they couldn’t figure it out, they brought in the guy who designed it, he worked with me until 10/28/2010 when it almost killed my helicopter and myself for like the fifth time. I yanked it off and sold it on eBay. It sure did look good on the machine and the collective looked realistic to the design, I sure was hoping it was going to work.

Attachments

jpanside

dear MH1,

I actually tried a similar setup using that cruise control (it is actually made by a company called Rostra), and she was simply unreliable and unsafe for use for us as well.

I hope you have better luck with a different governor. Upon HobbyCAD's recommendation, I am going try out the ESD 5500 and see if it will better meet our safety and performance standards. If anyone has more info on installing the ESD5500, I would be much appreciated.

jpanside

Any luck finding a R22 actuator? What about using a GAC actuator? Are you wanting to use the Robbie system because of it's safety features? It has a clutch just in case.

HobbyCAD

Homebuilt Heli Enthusiast
Any luck finding a R22 actuator? What about using a GAC actuator? Are you wanting to use the Robbie system because of it's safety features? It has a clutch just in case.
Hi Taeyang,

I saw this morning I had missed a call from you. Please call again.

The R-22 governor is great, as it has the built-in slip clutch. This allows the pilot to override the governor command. The GAC actuators do not have this. You need this slip capability. Try and find one from a crashed or scrapped Robbie helicopter. They are sometimes available on e-Bay.

You are better off with making your own actuator, copying the very simple Robbie slipper output arm concept. Engineering something using an automotive seat height and tilt adjuster actuator can work. They are geared DC motors with an rotary output shaft. If you add a slipper clutch to this output shaft, you have a good actuator to use.

Looking at GAC governors and actuators atm. Are governors a trade secret or something? It seems pretty hush hush about what everyone is using. I am assuming it is because of legal reasons.
There is no trade secrets with GAC. They are not an aviation product supplier. It is not that anyone is hush-hush about their governors, it is that no-one is installing them, for non-aircraft automotive units just don't work. The GAC units are not cheap, so no-one is experimenting with them. It is a perfect unit to use, but it is going to cost money.

Been looking at the ESD5500 HobbyCAD recommended as the basis for creating a governor system, but does anyone here have experience with installing this on their rotary wing? I'd like to hear why you chose this governor and what it took to get it's features setup and working for you. I heard that many helicycle enthusiasts use this, would like to hear their thoughts.
The ESD range are good governor control units, but I am not aware of anyone having paid the money for it, and using it in their helicopter as a rotor RPM governor. It is up to development guys like me and you to work it out and put together a solution.

In the Helicycle, the GAC controller is not a rotor RPM governor, it is the turbine engine RPM controller. It is not selected by choice of it's good properties to the helicopter, it is the standard controller that comes with the Solar Titan APU turbine engine.

Cheers,

F.

Attachments

Last edited:

jpanside

Francois,

Thanks for that information, that is tremendously helpful. Will you be using the ESD5500 control unit and simply designing your own actuator with the clutch? I will call you right now!

-Taeyang

jpanside

Hi Taeyang,

I saw this morning I had missed a call from you. Please call again.

The R-22 governor is great, as it has the built-in slip clutch. This allows the pilot to override the governor command. The GAC actuators do not have this. You need this slip capability.

You are better off with making your own actuator. Engineering something using an automotive seat height and tilt adjuster actuator can work. They are geared DC motors with an rotary output shaft. If you add a slipper clutch to this output shaft, you have a good actuator to use.

There is no trade secrets with GAC. They are not an aviation product supplier. It is not that anyone is hush-hush about their governors, it is that no-one is installing them, for non-aircraft automotive units just don't work. The GAC units are not cheap, so no-one is experimenting with them. It is a perfect unit to use, but it is going to cost money.

Cheers,

F.
Just called you Sir but got no answer. Are you available soon?

edit:
looks like we will have to design our own actuator! Francois, I hope we can collaborate and in making our own custom units for our copters.

jpanside

There is a governor that comes with the Helicycle. I believe it is the one made by GAC. Can someone simply confirm this? I understand that most pilots may not know due to it being factory supplied and installed, but I am curious. Thanks!

HobbyCAD

Homebuilt Heli Enthusiast
There is a governor that comes with the Helicycle. I believe it is the one made by GAC. Can someone simply confirm this? I understand that most pilots may not know due to it being factory supplied and installed, but I am curious. Thanks!
There is no governor that comes with the Helicycle itself. It comes as part of the engine used in the Helicycle. Stan will be able to supply you a picture with it mounted on the side of his helicopter.

Cheers,

F.

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Francois- I just posted in the Helicycle thread. Go to post #1421 in my Helicycle Hatchery thread, and several posts after that show my governor pictures.

MH1FLYER

We Fix Legends!
Oh man thank you so much for confirming the governor system. Really appreciate it!
Sorry I didn't answer your post on the other thread I was short on time yesterday. Looks like you found my post #36 That should be what you were looking for

hillberg

That Governor of America will work on any engine piston or turbine as it's use was for ground based pumps.wind machines & generators, The only need is the torque moter that drives the throttle lever.