Electric PTO clutch/Permanent Magnet electric brake

Welder

First post!
Has anybody considered an elec. PTO clutch, off, say a Hustler mower for prerotation power and Elec perm mag brake?
The first one I found was 14lbs but I believe it could be lightened up some

AirCommandPilot

Just a fledgeling
Aircraft
Air Command Elite #003
Total Flight Time
It would need to be variable, not just on/off. I'm not sure if the tension would be correct for this application. The rotors are way heavier that a mower blade.

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Kitfox IV / F1 Rocket / Magni M-16 / Beech 18
Total Flight Time
500+
The mechanical friction-roller type of pre-rotator has the superior traits of: manually variable engagement for conditions, less than 14 lbs, torque-capable, easy to repair/alter. You may know of a suitable electric brake, but most of the ones I am familiar with are of the either 'on' or 'off' type and would have harsh (shock load) engagement. The PTO clutch would have the same harsh engagement I think.
Another example is my truck's air-conditioner clutch; it is either on or off and it feels like a harsh engagement, too.
Keep thinkin' about the problem though !
New ideas / new approaches might solve a problem.
Brian

Welder

I am a 6hour solo trike pilot?/student, air creation 582, and have been immersed in fixed wing tractor ac design for the last 5 years. There aint know free lunch!
Smack, would you point to an example. I have just came over to gyros, so its gonna take a while for me to get up to speed.

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Kitfox IV / F1 Rocket / Magni M-16 / Beech 18
Total Flight Time
500+
For example, the Magni M16 has a belt-driven (power transfer) prerotator. The pilot squeezes a handle (variable manual force and speed) which pulls a cable that pulls an idler pulley against a belt (tensioning the belt). The belt then transfers the engine power (some belt slipping which is variable depending on.... pilot hand pressure, speed, friction coefficients along the way) to a flexible shaft which is routed up the backside of the mast to a pinion gear which is engaged to a bigger ring gear. So, slowly squeezing the handle slowly engages the belt/idler which slowly starts the rotor spinning. The pilot manually/visually/aurally increases the force (squeeze) on the handle which increases the amount of power transfer which accelerates the rotor at a rate determined by the pilot.
I don't think that the PTO clutch is that variable or 'soft' on the engagement.
Brian

Welder

Thank you Waynep for the link to some high quality parts! I will watch their website. I would like to go electric, any maybe an elec. brake as well.

waynep

Thank you Waynep for the link to some high quality parts! I will watch their website. I would like to go electric, any maybe an elec. brake as well.
Write them a note. They may already be looking at something similar. I have a friend that goes to Cyprus all the time. I'll ask him to check these guys out on his next trip.

waynep

Hey Waynep, are you designing a gyro?
I'm working on a composite design to drastically reduce airframe weight and improve strength. You may have seen my other threads. Check out "Bolt Head Controversy". I've been stirring up trouble.

Last edited:

Supermotive

I'm working on a composite design to drastically reduce airframe weight and improve strength. You may have seen my other threads. Check out "Bolt Head Controversy". I've been stirring up trouble.
Hi. I am scratch building too. Can you tell me about your build? What kind of dry weight are you looking to achieve?