Electric Pre-Rotator

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
PRA will make kits available in our future.

Jazzenjohn

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
I've designed, built, and flown 4 different ultralight gyros. Amassing parts for a 2 place now.
Total Flight Time
400+
PRA will make kits available in our future.
Just getting the 2 cylinder 4 stroke 80 HP Yamaha engine to work well on a gyro would be a worthy project! There should be tons of them on the used market since its been out for a while now.

JETLAG03

Total Flight Time
300+ flexwing (pendulaire) newly trained on gyrocopter ((autogire)11h)
@All_In look forward to your results etc .

Just checked the starter motor used for my pre-rotator and found it to be a real wimp 0.9kw. There are available high torque starters and I'm guessing some-one has already tried, tested and rejected these starters for one or more reasons ie too aggressive on startup, weight or other reasons .... is this so chaps?

phil

wolfy

Well done so far mate will be interesting to see the results, I can't remember if you said already but what Rrpm are you expecting and what size rotor and how many watts is your motor?

wolfy

wolfy

That video was 3 years ago. At that time I used a knob for control. Now I have 3 buttons and a micro controller. off/reset, Idle, where it takes it from a few RPM to idle speed of 65 RRPM, and fly, taking it from idle to full RRPM. I've seen 215 RRPM peak but it pulls past that. I use between 375-500 milliamp hours for a complete spin up. idle, taxi at idle, and full prerotation, so, between 6 and 10 full prerotations for the batteries I use. I'm working with Denis at Gyrotechnic to fit it to his rotorhead. After I do that I'll work on fitting it to existing Wunderlich heads.
Hi John could you share anymore info on your set up,
2300w?
How many Kv?
What is your total reduction ratio from motor to rotor?
Rotor diameter?
Currently designing and just comparing notes.

thanks wolfy

Sv.grainne

You provided specs on the motor, 2000W 40-60 Amps / 12-48V DC 4.5 HP, but wondering what voltage you are using for your test setup? How long from a dead stop to suitable rotor speed??

Bobby

wolfy

I have just found a few more motor suppliers, some very powerful motors.
Alien power systems.com
Freerchobby.com

I am still trying to get my head around Kv values, I understand that a lower kv will mean higher torque at a lower speed.
But in our situation we are trying to get to a given rrpm, so a lower kv motor will need less reduction to the Bendix than a higher kv motor meaning the torque applied to the Bendix will be the same.
So for our application is the Kv value of any real importance, given that the total reduction will be adjusted to suit target rrpm?
Meaning that the kw value is really the only one of use?

wolfy

XXavier

Aircraft
ELA R-100 and Magni M24 autogyros
Total Flight Time
664 gyro (Nov. 2020)
I have just found a few more motor suppliers, some very powerful motors.
Alien power systems.com
Freerchobby.com

I am still trying to get my head around Kv values, I understand that a lower kv will mean higher torque at a lower speed.
But in our situation we are trying to get to a given rrpm, so a lower kv motor will need less reduction to the Bendix than a higher kv motor meaning the torque applied to the Bendix will be the same.
So for our application is the Kv value of any real importance, given that the total reduction will be adjusted to suit target rrpm?
Meaning that the kw value is really the only one of use?

wolfy

I'm trying to follow the discussion...

What do you mean with 'Kv'...?

wolfy

It means rpm per volt applied, so a 150Kv motor will do 1500rpm from 10 volts. It is also a kind of torque constant in laymen terms.

wolfy

Sv.grainne

i guess i don't understand your questions. I tested the motor and controllers from 12v up to 40 volts to be sure everything was working good as configured and i have not tested ah draw on the batteries since i haven't tested what it will do with rotors being spun up. if it does that effectively that's all i care about. I will worry about capacity after it spools up my rotors to 200 rrpm or not. As far as conditions go not sure what you mean....weather, temps, calm winds?
My question was what voltage and current did you test at? How many rotor spinups do you estimate on your battery bank before requiring a recharge? Will you be able to recharge on craft or require external power source?

Bobby

XXavier

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
664 gyro (Nov. 2020)
A question from an outsider...

Wouldn't it be possible to use supercapacitors in place of batteries? They might be lighter. And it wouldn't matter if they were completely discharged with the pre-rotation, since they could be recharged afterwards, once in flight...

XXavier

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
664 gyro (Nov. 2020)
You're probably right...

If I proposed the 'supercaps' was only because capacitors can be discharged almost completely in a very short time, need little or no maintenance and have a very long life.

Fully discharging a battery in only one minute will probably damage it...

There's now a lot of interest and innovation in 'supercaps', as they are being used in cars in order to store and re-use braking energy. Hence, in the near future we may expect better and lighter supercaps, more easily available and at a reasonable price...

OuterMarker

Aspirant
Aircraft
Air Command
Total Flight Time
94-rotor
Have there been any discussions about the cause and effect of the weight at the top of the mast with this type of system? Who was it that used a heavy metal coat hanger to absorb the electrical load during a soft start to prevent burning up the electronics?

gyrodude

Aircraft
PA-22, J-3 Cub, C-150, 2 hangliders, 8 ultralights, Bensen, Air Command, Dominator
Total Flight Time
No idea
There is new battery technology on the horizon. Toyota will be coming out with a vehicle that has a solid state battery setup. There is no fire danger like the lipo and lithium ion batteries. The range will be 600miles or double any other electric vehicle and have a 30 min recharge time. I could drive from NC to Wachula plug it in and recharge and drive home.

Jazzenjohn

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
I've designed, built, and flown 4 different ultralight gyros. Amassing parts for a 2 place now.
Total Flight Time
400+
Kv is how many rpms the motor will turn per volt, but they are expecting you to have voltages somewhere near the recommended for that to be true. A 1 volt test isn't likely to give you an accurate result for higher voltage motors. I don't believe looking at Kv comparing different manufacturers motors has much to do with a rated torque, although if 2 motors that are otherwise exactly the same but have different Kv's, the lower Kv motor would generally have a bit more low end torque and several other differences like lower max RPM, Lower total power, and lower current capacity. Again, generally.

As far as weight at the top of the mast, unless you are putting several lead acid batteries up there, something i've never seen anyone do, the weight of most electric prerotators are about the same or even lighter than those with bendix's and heavy flex cables.

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Kitfox IV / F1 Rocket / Magni M-16 / Beech 18
Total Flight Time
500+
Have there been any discussions about the cause and effect of the weight at the top of the mast with this type of system?
I don't have a gyro to test this, but it would seem a simple experiment for someone to add (in small steps?) the equivalent weight to the top of their mast and note the change, if any.
I'm also interested in this answer !
Brian

Jazzenjohn

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
400+
Few people would say anything if a person swapped their Dragon Wings for Sky Wheels but that is effectively adding 40 pounds or so to the top of your mast. How come no one is the least bit concerned about that? My entire rotorhead including prerotator motor batteries, everything, weighs 10 1/2 pounds. Most electric prerotators are lighter, not heavier, some dramatically lighter.1581967561797.png

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
Few people would say anything if a person swapped their Dragon Wings for Sky Wheels but that is effectively adding 40 pounds or so to the top of your mast. How come no one is the least bit concerned about that? My entire rotorhead including prerotator motor batteries, everything, weighs 10 1/2 pounds. Most electric prerotators are lighter, not heavier, some dramatically lighter.View attachment 1146627
John: Do you have a chain around the gear running all the time in flight?