Electric Pre-Rotator

mvadney

gyroboy
Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex
Total Flight Time
Hey.
You can see in one of the pics a yellow Zippy battery. It was something like $90 ducks. I like the AmpFlow motors, well made and very durable. John doesn't go that route because of weight concerns. He got me on this electric kick and I LOVE it. The way you can separate the prerotation from the engine is amazing. No standing on the brakes, less weight and waste, and no vibration. The sprockets worked out great like John says. I can change the ratio within 15 minutes. A belt would be the way to go once a final ratio is selected. Me, I'm just lazy. The older, 24V setup was maxing out around 140rpm. The new setup is a good bit faster. The A28-400 is a very powerful motor can it can take a lot of voltage. Carl S had one and set it up to directly run to the bendix. Not, perfect, but it didn't build much heat and it was a very clean install.
Once you go to electric I promise that you won't every go back.
MikeCarlSetup.gifCarl7.jpg

mvadney

gyroboy
Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex
Total Flight Time
When I tested in the beginning I was worried about hitting up the controller for too many amps. I used a clamp current tester and made an easy job of it. I hit the prerotator like I would want to in normal use and I did not see it surpass 190 amps The nice thing about the Kelly controller over the Vyper I originally had is that it is very small and sealed from the weather. The aluminum casing is top notch. It was also cheaper than the Vyper. By running through a chain set before the bendix the motor has a proper load and an easy time of it. Direct to the bendix like Carl had is asking for amperage issues. The Kelly controller came with a small application that you use to set throttle start and end positions, safety switching, and low voltage shutoffs. I like it a lot.

wolfy

Mvadney, sorry of topic but could I ask for your opinion on the MGL vega gauge? I am currently thinking of using a Vega EMS.

thanks wolfy

Jazzenjohn

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
I've designed, built, and flown 4 different ultralight gyros. Amassing parts for a 2 place now.
Total Flight Time
400+
Thats me in the photo with Carl Schneider Dar. I suggested he use the Amp Flow motor because when I was in Battlebots years ago, it was highly regarded for being well made, powerful and relatively bulletproof. At that time it was known as the Magmotor, they changed the name to AmpFlow later. The Carlinator didn't always have an electric prerotator. Carl used the hydraulic pumps built into the HKS motor to run a hydraulic prerotator for some time. I tried that as well, but I was never satisfied with the power output or the weight. I switched to electric and after Carl saw mine, he asked for help choosing components for his. Carls gyro was sold and I'm not sure if the new owner is flying it or not. I believe Carl got somewhere around 165 honest, consistant RRPM. Like fuel burn and climb rate, people often fluff their numbers so comparisons aren't always easy.

Jazzenjohn

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
I've designed, built, and flown 4 different ultralight gyros. Amassing parts for a 2 place now.
Total Flight Time
400+
Not only COVID ,but the tariffs, and now, Hong Kong may lose its most favored trading status since china is taking the country over. I think buying from an American company is likely to be a better experience. Which Kelly controller did you order, the 48 volt 200 amp KDS mini? I believe at that time I would probably have recommended a 4QD controller from England or the IFI Thor spin controller. They were also battle tested too. I'm not sure what Carl ended up with. I would probably suggest the Kelly now though I haven't actually used it myself yet.

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
My sympathies.

My own less than happy effort with the ‘world’s lightest electric pre-rotator’ left a serious dent in my wallet at a time it really didn’t need that.

DaveJaksha

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex
Total Flight Time
I have a question. Interest is still strong with this one....

What model is the Kelly Controller?

Cheers,

Dave

wolfy

I for one am still very interested in your progress.
I will be shortly looking into electric power once my new gyro is built.

wolfy

skyguynca

Gold Member
Aircraft
depends on what I have sold recently
Total Flight Time
5000+
Wow, you rock! I wrote most of the page for Open Source Project last night. It will have the current status and a donation page.

It needs its own revenue source to be self-sustaining as it's a 5K sponsorship fee that the 1st 3 projects waved they wanted the projects but we have to pay for parts.

So my new thinking is:
We will sell the SolidWorks plans and CNC code etc "For Educational Purposes Only" assuring our team and PRA has no liability.
We will pay S.D.U. back for our 1st project out this revenue, the car-starter project, that is in testing, earns for itself.
But the pricing will be based on the complexity of the and number of components/drawings, CNC or software code.
From $50 to $250 for the Jump-takeoff plans being the most complex, with PRA members benefit of 50% off.
Might aks for a DONATION but as a pre-pay purchase = when it is finished it would be free to those you pay in advance,
Let people vote for the project they want with their wallets to help fund it at first to make it happen sooner rather than later.

I need to get this new source of revenue voted on by the board before I post much more and it may change...
so what happened with this project?

okaneco1

Aircraft
TwinStarr Lycoming O-032B2c
Total Flight Time
a few
The college shut down in March and maybe in the fall the project will pick up again.

Jazzenjohn

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
400+
Yes Dar, you've gone all stealthy on us.... What's up?

JETLAG03

Total Flight Time
300+ flexwing (pendulaire) newly trained on gyrocopter ((autogire)11h)
For 150rrpm static and disc flat I have used an uprated 1.4kw high torque starter motor, the torque is huge, so much so that I have created a three stage "soft start" to ease the RRPM upwards. I researched "aircommandpilot" Bobbys soft start sytem to add an extra torque range, works like a treat, thanks to Bobbys advice and help. Cost was £262 UK sterling. They have other car starter motors up to 2kw high torque.

wolfy

I am still deciding which way to go regarding a pre spinner, engine driven or not.
All these experiments with brushless really has my attention.

wolfy