Electric helicopter

That is pretty cool... there is no reason why it shouldn't work... battery technology is improving all the time. Once endurance becomes long enough to be useable, it will be awesome ....
I was expecting it to do this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PptMrBFAO-A

Yes, someday when a revolution in battery technology takes place electric helicopters may become practical for some small nitch. Of course, that is going to have to be one big jump, in technology, which would revolutionize everything else as well.

I'm going to live another 40 years or more, so I hope I'm around to see it!

Yep its amazing what RC is doing now days muz, think it will be a while before we see a electric 44 doin that!!
Hopefully we don't have to wait that long dennis I'm younger than you but doubt ive got 40yrs in me.

wolfy

Dennis,

I notice, according to their telemetry, that R-44 is consuming 177n-m of torque in a hover. That`s about 131 ftlb. Do you remember the Mini-500 torque required at max gross of 825 lbs. Seems like I remember it being about 63 ftlb. Is that what you remember?

I have several (ok.... too many) battery powered rc helis and even with the new Li-Po batteries, the flight times are short.... but while they are above about 50% they are awesome.... and no, I cant fly them like that either.... nor do I want to... I prefer more scale type flying.... but the rc heli's have come so far in the last 20 years :eek: very, very impressive....

Speaking of impressive, check this guy out... a 700 T-Rex has about a 70cm rotor disk.... so at least a yard from rotor rip at front to tail rotor tip at rear, not much room for error.... not to mention... one of those can remove someone's head without slowing down :violin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqdDi3ZS4MU

I still have one nitro heli but haven't flown one in 15 or more years I remember my first one a hirobo 888 falcon nearly 30 yrs ago learnt without gyro and no mixing ( as you probably did) definatly cant or want to fly them like that either its all simulator based now but still bloody impressive. I have videos somewhere of duncon bussain the worlds best bloody amazing what he can do.

wolfy

Dennis,

I notice, according to their telemetry, that R-44 is consuming 177n-m of torque in a hover. That`s about 131 ftlb. Do you remember the Mini-500 torque required at max gross of 825 lbs. Seems like I remember it being about 63 ftlb. Is that what you remember?

Yes, that is the max output of the Rotax 582 engine, and about 825lbs was the gross weight of the Mini-500 without the PEP system, so the torque requirement would be at maximum available.

Speaking of impressive, check this guy out... a 700 T-Rex has about a 70cm rotor disk....

Murray, a T-Rex 700 has blades of 70 cm each, so it's a 1.5 meters disc.

Cheers
Erik (who has only a 600 size heli)

Thanks for posting that, Wolfy.
Does anyone know the endurance and total voltage they're using?
Smack

If I had to guess, I would imagine it would be around 200V at least. The problem with that kind of thing is that it requires a ton of amps to get it off the ground to make the same HP that a engine would require. At 200V that helicopter may need close to 500amps to have sufficient power. I just could not imagine a very long run time like that.

French Electric helicopter undergoing flight tests

Acquinea helicopter
14708392_10155310696667538_3423464447621531539_n.jpg

French minister of ecology giving speech as part of marking test flight progress
14718598_10155310696457538_7114110308371644598_n.jpg

Last edited:
Comment: Agenda 21 proves that the message of our descendants (the so-called ...
.. extraterrestrials) was not well understood! Indeed if we reduce by half the number of individuals on earth: we multiply resources by two for each individual ... But if the consumption of resources is proportional to the volume of individuals, if we divide by 2 the size of individuals, then we multiply Resources by eight! (2 to the cube) ... Hence the size of our descendants travelers of the time ... Some are green! Hemoglobin is very close to chlorophylle: an additional mutation ... Imagine walking in the sun, small, green, and making yourself the sugar (fuel) you need to walk! ... Is not the future life so beautiful? :D

An example: a small helicopter is enough!

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFwibWXyvfI&index=3&list=PLB5EF6AA016C8687F

Last edited: