ELA vs MTO

As I said before, I enjoy every contribution, but it is a little disappointing that I got no comments on actual flying differences in the top brands. ELA seems to be the third top gyro producer in the world and no one who has flown one offered any comments on how it, and the composite rotor, fly in comparison to others

I have flown in the MTOSport, Magni M16 and ELA 07S. The least experience I have in the ELA. In my experience the ELA flies very similar to the MTO. Control forces may be a bit higher than the MTO but definitely lighter than the Magni. In my (limited) experience, there is not much difference in how the ELA flies compared to the MTO. It is agile yet stable and does nothing unpredictable.

-- Chris.

As I said before, I enjoy every contribution, but it is a little disappointing that I got no comments on actual flying differences in the top brands. ELA seems to be the third top gyro producer in the world and no one who has flown one offered any comments on how it, and the composite rotor, fly in comparison to others. Are there no ELA pilots on board? Other brands are still being considered, but beyond looks, how do they fly? What about TAG vs. MTO, or Apollo vs. MTO or TAG? Looks are important, but I also wonder about flight characteristics. Are they all basically the same?
It appears that at least on this forum, there are few like Chris who have flown an ELA. I believe there are only one or two in the US, and you may want to try to get in touch with the owners. This may have something to do with the fact that ELA are a Spanish company with more sales to Spanish speaking gyro pilots who do not come on this forum much. There was a thread a while back on this forum discussing Magni, MTO and ELA. http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31202
One of the thread participants at the time was a Spanish instructor Andy Tille who was sadly killed a couple of years ago. The general theme of the thread ran something like this. When comparing Magni, ELA and MTO, the Magni was the most stable and solid feeling of the 3 aircraft but with significantly more control force being required, making it at least feel a little less maneuverable and sporty. The best machine for a flying on rails feeling and long cross country touring. On the other end was the MTO which is very light on the controls, and at least feeling more sporty and maneuverable, Andy Tille opined that this made the MTO unstable. The ELA is considered to be somewhere in the middle, and again Andy opined that it was the perfect balance between the MTO and the Magni. I have only flown the MTO and the Magni and agree with opinion that the Magni feels much more solid and rigid while flying, and at least feels less maneuverable. Having trained on an MTO it is definitely more zippy and maneuverable in feel to the Magni, and because I am quite used to how it feels have never felt that it was unstable. I am not a high time pilot however.

Last edited:
I have flown ELAs only. Two of them. Now, I'm training with a Magni, as I'm planning to buy one. The 'feel' is quite different. The Magni is 'heavy', while the ELAs were nimble, and vibrated a lot. I found the ELA more pleasant to fly.

Concerning the MTO, it's almost identical to the ELA, but the rotor is different. The flying 'feel' is probably very similar...

I fly an ELA, and a dominator single, I've flown the MTo and the magni.

One important thing to look for with any of these machines is customer support. Do your homework.

Well, my impression from a few short flights seem to be reflected in the experience of others. Just looking at flight feeling, the MTO and ELA are very similar. Along the spectrum of agile (MTO) to on-the-rails (Magni) the ELA lies much closer to the MTO than the Magni.

But, as others have said before, look at everything and, if at all possible, fly one yourself before committing yourself.

Greetings, -- Chris.

Well, my impression from a few short flights seem to be reflected in the experience of others. Just looking at flight feeling, the MTO and ELA are very similar. Along the spectrum of agile (MTO) to on-the-rails (Magni) the ELA lies much closer to the MTO than the Magni.

But, as others have said before, look at everything and, if at all possible, fly one yourself before committing yourself.

Greetings, -- Chris.
It would be interesting if one could more objectively compare these differences in feel and actual agility, like handling performance of a car on a track....

Even if you did a side-by-side comparison it would be a subjective opinion in the end. The best you can do, frankly, is go get a flight in one. This might, admittedly, be difficult in an ELA if you are solely based in the US. But then it wouldn't be trivial to get an ELA EAB registered and receive any kind of support.

If you are looking to go that route, your best bet would be to look for machines which have a representative in the US and a reasonable track record. Choose among those.

-- Chris.

""If you are looking to go that route, your best bet would be to look for machines which have a representative in the US and a reasonable track record. Choose among those.""

ELA do have a USA agent/dealer.

see

http://www.aerotrek.aero/ela.htm

In my experience different gyroplanes of the same model can have a very different feel.

Even the same gyroplane loaded differently can have a very different feel.

In my opinion there is not a good way to quantify how a gyroplane flies.

If I were choosing a first gyroplane my decision would depend a lot on the support of the nearest dealer or the distributor.

A gyroplane is not mass produced and it is not unusual to have some challenges.

Having qualified support during these trying times can make a lot of difference in the ownership experience.

What the best gyroplane instructor I could find would train me in would also have a lot to do with my first gyroplane buying decision.

As I typed this I realized that my first gyroplane is a one of a kind and has no dealer support.

I was able to train in her and flew in her before the purchase but I did not fly her because she did not have dual controls until we built them.

This has not been a problem for me.

Last edited:
In my experience different gyroplanes of the same model can have a very different feel.

Even the same gyroplane loaded differently can have a very different feel.

In my opinion there is not a good way to quantify how a gyroplane flies.

If I were choosing a first gyroplane my decision would depend a lot on the support of the nearest dealer or the distributor.

A gyroplane is not mass produced and it is not unusual to have some challenges.

Having qualified support for during these trying times can make a lot of difference in the ownership experience.

What the best gyroplane instructor I could find would train me in would also have a lot to do with my first gyroplane buying decision.

As I typed this I realized that my first gyroplane is a one of a kind and has no dealer support.

I was able to train in her and flew in her before the purchase but I did not fly her because she did not have dual controls until we built them.

This has not been a problem for me.

Expertly said Vance. You covered all the bases.

Last edited:
Expertly said IF the manufacturer is not a deceptive lying charliton.

fj

True Jim, that's why I would judge them on not what they say, but what they do.

Nice photos and story on the PRA Facebook page featuring an ELA 07 that went up and over The Andes mountains in Chile/Argentina, some ice forming on the machine.

Have a look at

https://www.facebook.com/groups/115014588118/

unless you don't need no freeekin Bookface