ELA 09 Junior anyone?

cluttonfred

Does anyone have any experience with the ELA 09 Junior?

And a nice clip (first half)....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I0oWyyj6yU

It was mentioned in this thread three years ago but not a peep since. Company ELA 09 Junior page is here.

It's a 1+1 gyro with "cozy" tandem seating and no controls in the rear seat and seems like a good fit for the way most recreational pilots fly most of the time, but I have no personal experience with the manufacturer or that layout.

Cheers,

Matthew

Last edited:

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
3600+ .. New to gyroplanes
This general concept has been tried in trikes, gyroplanes (Magni M14), light helicopters too. From what I have seen no one wants 1.5 of anything. Either people want a 2 seater or they want a single seater. It really did not catch on at least in the US market as best as I know. I can understand why.

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
The 2 place that I am building is just for my wife and I, or i could give someone a ride if I like them, Not building it to train, or give intro flights, I don't want all that extra weight that will only be used for a passenger 10% of the time. Just me.

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
3600+ .. New to gyroplanes
True enough, but I guess it's more about mindset than anything else. No one expects dual controls on a motorcycle, for example.
Dual controls are generally an option even on an MTO. If you don't want them you can save some money and not order them. Its the second seat, that is moved up close to the front. The front seat's headrest becomes the nut barrier for the back seat guy almost. That is what people don't care for. Also the body is smaller and somewhat tinkier as it is and can be seen from the picture. May be a good option for people outside North America but I think very limited success here just like in other categories (trikes, experimental helis) where this was tried.

In China where an average guy is basically 140 pounds, I can see it working. I think Magni M14 was a similar concept of 1+1 and I don't think there are many here of that model at all. May be 2

Boots

Aircraft
GYROBEE 447
I can see there not being a market for the 1+1 but I do like it and have considered building
one similar . There is probably not enough of a price difference in the factory 2 place and the factory 1+1 to make them desirable .

Brent_Brown

Platinum Member
Gyroplane ELA 07S R-100 with Rotax 912 ULS engine (100HP)

51.950 €

Autogiro ELA 09-Junior

44.700 €

They still sell them just not here

twistair

Living in the Skies
Aircraft
none own :( currently flying Calidus mostly
Total Flight Time
Don't know exactly, ca. 3000 hours
Scott, are you building your gyro from this Russian kit? Just curious about its quality and design. I saw some poor photos of what these guys do, but couldn't find any response from their customers.

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
No I am not, I just found out about these guys a few weeks ago, i would like to check them out, they said they are going to be at sun N fun but not Bensen Days...

I am building a drop keel sno bird tandem with the CAM100.

kmtck

Aircraft
I wont fly that!
Total Flight Time
A few hours in FW
webpage address

webpage address

Is there a webpage or contact information for these guys in GA?

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
No web page, He said to come by and check them out they are a couple hours from me.
His name is Paul Vagner. Ph# 770 752 nine5 nine5
I think they could have a good market, you could finish your own 2 plce for under 40k!

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
""I think they could have a good market, you could finish your own 2 plce for under 40k! ""

Are they using quality materials, has the product been tested at all. Are any already flying in the USA? Support ? Warranty? Safe ?

Take Care

Boots

Aircraft
GYROBEE 447
This one looks like it may be flying. But not in the US as far as I know.
As far as me flying in a unproven welded stainless steel airframe gyro it would have to be thoroughly inspected inside and out to be certain that it was properly
Purge welded at the right heat range . I personally prefer 4130 for a airframe.

Attachments

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
I agree Rodney, I am not a big fan of the mto stainless frames, magni uses ChroMo....I have worked on aircraft for 31 years and have only seen stainless in a few areas, but usually not in a major structural application. Plus it depends a lot on the alloy as well as how the welds were done.

Steve, as far as I know they are a new start up, there once was a first MTO, first ELA, first Magni etc, I wish them well. But right now in the USA all you have is sportcopter and dominator, then gyrobee and hornet plans it would be nice to see the US market grow. I think that Apollo will be building here soon in Fl.
My point was that you could buy an unfinished gyro for about 1/3rd the price of the major European competitors, and do your own paint, instruments, and engine install, and not be in the tank for $75-100k
If someone wants to spend that much, fine, not me..I would be fine with a Yamaha instead of a rotax.

Everyone who wants to fly a gyro cant spend what they would spend on a small house just to have fun, those that can, great! Some people buy used cars so they don't have to make payments, some people buy new stuff, all depends on what you want, I just hope that it can be a viable option, more choices in the market is a good thing.

Last edited:

Boots

Aircraft
GYROBEE 447
Yep, Scott... you nailed it.
(Everyone who wants to fly a gyro cant spend what they would spend on a small house just to have fun,)

I hope Paul does well with his product and would like to see it at a fly in .