EJ25 upgrade on SxS

Well, if that wasn't the nicest call I've had in a while !

Neil Hintz, the maker of the famous Autoflight gearbox, just called from New Zealand just to see how things were going for me.

Always an interesting man to speak with! Now I have got to get to the garage & get going on this machine !

Well, if that wasn't the nicest call I've had in a while !

Neil Hintz, the maker of the famous Autoflight gearbox, just called from New Zealand just to see how things were going for me.

Always an interesting man to speak with! Now I have got to get to the garage & get going on this machine !

That is one really great thing about this sport. All of the vendors that I know of are also participants and fans of the sport.

:whip: Out to the workshop Chris!!!

The SxS is back under the chain hoist for engine removal ! There are a couple of mods that need to be done to the motor mount rails.

Then when they are complete I hope that this is the last time this Beast of an engine will have to come off.

The one mental block & one that always freaks people out is when I show them that wiring harness. "where is that going to go?"

I just say ..."I did not figure that out yet ! "

Don Parham....are you watching ? If so....do you mind if I unbundle all that work you did or do you want me to work it out like that ?

Obviously, some wire can be extended & some have plugs on already. So this limits the location of the computer.

More to follow......

I know we have gone over this before, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED, and
NOW I will WARN you (and all other engine modifiers again.

Those under drive pulleys have NO Harmonic Dampening

You run the risk of ringing the crank like a bell. Cracking the crank, prematurely wearing the bearings etc, etc, etc. There is a reason why they put a big ugly pulley assy on the front of that rotating assembly.

No harmonic balancer..? One can lead the horse to the water but you can’t make him to drink it, one has to read the mortality rate amongst gyro guys and all come to simple explanation.. Ignorance fuelled by his even more ignorant peers.

raton

OK, I won't use it .

Chris,
I don't recommend that you un-bundle the harness and shorten it.
That just makes for more points of failure by splicing wires. A good place for the ECU is underneath the seat. I have a lot of gyro customers who are using the stock length harnesses.
According to a Subaru engineer the crankshaft accessory pulley is not a harmonic balancer but is used to dampen the shock of the air conditioning compressor turning on.
He said that the horizontally opposed Subaru Boxer engines are naturally balanced and do not need a harmonic balancer.
There are alot of aftermarket, lightweight crankshaft pulleys offered by racing product companies.

Last edited:
Chris- I would put a whole lot more weight on what Don Parham says! I have never met the man, but have the utmost respect for him. I have just heard way too many good reports and see how he is very knowledgeable about the Subarus.

My Subarus in both my gyros were fantastic engines.

Stan

OK, I won't use it .

Wait, use the OM pulley cut it in half and machine another grove if you are using the OM Alternator. We cheeked the resonance at certain frequencies with a minimal net loss ( the mass bulk is towards the crankshaft) at diverse range RPM.

raton

Last edited:
Chris,
I don't recommend that you un-bundle the harness and shorten it.
That just makes for more points of failure by splicing wires. A good place for the ECU is underneath the seat. I have a lot of gyro customers who are using the stock length harnesses.
According to a Subaru engineer the crankshaft accessory pulley is not a harmonic balancer but is used to dampen the shock of the air conditioning compressor turning on.
He said that the horizontally opposed Subaru Boxer engines are naturally balanced and do not need a harmonic balancer.
There are alot of aftermarket, lightweight crankshaft pulleys offered by racing product companies.

According to a Subaru engineer the crankshaft accessory pulley is not a harmonic balancer but is used to dampen the shock of the air conditioning compressor turning on.He said that the horizontally opposed Subaru Boxer engines are naturally balanced and do not need a harmonic balancer.

Was that Subaru engineer chewing coca leafs while making that statement ..? Even aircraft engines have a harmonic balancer albeit not as a pulley but by offsetting timing. Recommending OM ECU for ircfart applications is dead wrong too..!

raton

Harmonic "Dampner"

Harmonic "Dampner"

Balancer is a misnomer it does not balance the engine per say. Certain engines did use an external balancer or weighted assembly on the front and used a specially offset / weighted flexplate or flywheel. Ford and GM are famous for switching back and forth with designs. If you have ever seen a weekend warrior put the wrong flywheel or harmonic balancer on the engine you will quickly find a new definition for vibration........as the engine will flail about so badly it can break from the mounts.

Terms you may recognize are:

Externally balanced and

Internally balanced.

Internally balanced engines DO NOT use EXTERNAL weighted assemblies to help balance the rotating assembly. eg: crankshaft, rods and pistons.

A true harmonic balancer absorbs the "harmonic" created when the combustion cycle kicks off. It has nothing to do with balance. Think of a large bell being run during church time. That bell rings or resonates. If you could try and bite a piece out of the bell you would find your teeth shattered in a matter of seconds. WHY ? Consider that hard internal parts only have small operating clearances and a thin film of oil. consider the following. Engine builders found that broken crankshafts, worn bearings and damaged internal parts were the result of harmonics run wild.

Harmonic balancers are TUNED for the engine they are meant to run on. If you search a speed catalog you can find them by the dozens. They are not just for gaining hp. They are required to keep the engine from turning into a grenade ! Harmonics do peak and fall depending on the operating rpm of the engine. But all engines do have a critical and average rpm for the harmonic. It is possible to never operate in the critical rpm but you would again have to have that technical information. If you were running a belt drive you may be able to get away with it more than in a gear drive prsu.

Knowing what rpm and amplitude of harmonic is going on inside an engine requires very expensive equipment not found but in engine labs. Change it out at your own risk. Join the ranks of weekend warriors, kiddy magazine reader know it all morons that think a bottle of NOS is all you need to have a fast car.

Jonathan

Last edited:
I agree with you, it's not a balancer. If this was so, you would have to balance the entire engine, everytime you replaced the front pulley. Same as, saying shock absorbers. They don't absorb shock, the springs do, They are spring dampeners. To stop spring oscilations.
So, another quiestion, the flywheel absorbs a lot of the firing pulses, if it was a manual flywheel, and the weight of the torque converter does the same. But if you use just the drive plate, through a gearbox to the prop, will this stress out the prop flange?

Balancer is a misnomer it does not balance the engine per say. Certain engines did use an external balancer or weighted assembly on the front and used a specially offset / weighted flexplate or flywheel. Ford and GM are famous for switching back and forth with designs. If you have ever seen a weekend warrior put the wrong flywheel or harmonic balancer on the engine you will quickly find a new definition for vibration........as the engine will flail about so badly it can break from the mounts.

Terms you may recognize are:

Externally balanced and

Internally balanced.

Internally balanced engines DO NOT use EXTERNAL weighted assemblies to help balance the rotating assembly. eg: crankshaft, rods and pistons.

A true harmonic balancer absorbs the "harmonic" created when the combustion cycle kicks off. It has nothing to do with balance. Think of a large bell being run during church time. That bell rings or resonates. If you could try and bite a piece out of the bell you would find your teeth shattered in a matter of seconds. WHY ? Consider that hard internal parts only have small operating clearances and a thin film of oil. consider the following. Engine builders found that broken crankshafts, worn bearings and damaged internal parts were the result of harmonics run wild.

Harmonic balancers are TUNED for the engine they are meant to run on. If you search a speed catalog you can find them by the dozens. They are not just for gaining hp. They are required to keep the engine from turning into a grenade ! Harmonics do peak and fall depending on the operating rpm of the engine. But all engines do have a critical and average rpm for the harmonic. It is possible to never operate in the critical rpm but you would again have to have that technical information. If you were running a belt drive you may be able to get away with it more than in a gear drive prsu.

Knowing what rpm and amplitude of harmonic is going on inside an engine requires very expensive equipment not found but in engine labs. Change it out at your own risk. Join the ranks of weekend warriors, kiddy magazine reader know it all morons that think a bottle of NOS is all you need to have a fast car.

Jonathan

Harmonic =Physics. of, pertaining to, or noting a series of oscillations in which each oscillation has a frequency that is an integral multiple of the same basic frequency= Crank pulley damper, crankshaft damper, torsional damper, vibration damper also called harmonic balancer is a devise on the crankshaft to reduce torsional vibrations......

raton

I took some pics of the new location for the upper mount for the shock tubes.

I will explain later . What do you think ?

The further out I moved them, the better the angle on the shocks. Also lowered the wheel giving me more "rock".

The wheels have a little to much camber...will have to shorten the tubes a little.

I will be shortening the angle. It is 1/4" material.

Attachments

• IM000633.jpg
    IM000633.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IM000634.jpg
    IM000634.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IM000635.jpg
    IM000635.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IM000636.jpg
    IM000636.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 1
Chris- Your SXS is looking good. Cant wait to see pictures of it flying. You will like that engine.

Stan

I had to pull the motor so I did get her off the ground today!

I weighed the motor also.

It has the alternator & redrive but the guts are not in the redrive yet.

No exhaust yet either.

Attachments

• IM000653.jpg
    IM000653.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IM000655.jpg
    IM000655.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IM000657.jpg
    IM000657.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 1
Chris- Have you got plans for a Delta cam grind down the road?

Stan

Well Stan, First I want to see if my pile of junkyard "rubbish" actually runs & checks out OK. Then I will remove the covers & cams. I will have the cams ground & powdercoat the covers ( red of course ).

If the engine is junk, then I will call CCR & order a "new" short block & swap it out.

Here is a pic after the motor was removed (by myself).

Now is a good time for me to make sure I am happy with the motor mounts & replace those big fender washers with the SS snubbing washers that I bought from Dennis F.

I had considered a third middle Barry mount, I don't know? When you see the way the motor was mounted on the RAF & SH, I think this is plenty strong, But I want some kind of brace system like the RAF & SH had but not over the top of the motor.

Automan has not let me in on his secret system yet.

I took the rails to the machine shop to have the other rear section cut down to 1 1/2" wide & have 2 holes drilled & tapped for 2 3/16" bolts.

Then I will join the 2 "tails" together with a 3/16" aluminum strap & 4 bolts , under the gearbox.

This will link them together to stop any flexing when the prerotator is engaged.

This "strap" will also give me a point to attach the end of my teleflex cable for the prerotator.

Also a good time to finish up the shock tube mounts.

Attachments

• IM000660.jpg
    IM000660.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 1
Query............why change the cams on the ej25, they got plenty of grunt stock..as is:confused: