EJ-22 Subaru Eletrical Issue

TJMay

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
RAF 2000 GTX SE and Air Command Elite
Total Flight Time
While flying today, my temperature gauge showed an abnormally high reading.

I landed immediately and noticed as I turned my nav lights off, the gauge returned to its normal position. That led me to confirm that switching the nav lights on and off caused the temperature gauge, and to a lesser degree the voltage gauge, to fluctuate a lot, 25-30 degrees. It didn't t matter whether the engine was running or not.

Any ideas on what could be going on and/or how to track it down?

TJMay

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
RAF 2000 GTX SE and Air Command Elite
Total Flight Time
Thanks Stan.

For an electrically challanged pilot, how do you look for a bad ground connection?

RayPierce

Gold Member
Aircraft
GyroBee
Total Flight Time
More than 20 less than a million.
Thanks Stan.

For an electrically challanged pilot, how do you look for a bad ground connection?
look at the wire connection(s) that goes back to the battery negative side from ALL of your a nav lights.
OR there is a short from one (or more) the nav lights + wires to the temp gauge. Something may have gotten hot enough to melt insulation between the two.

If all else fails grab the first electrician you see.

Stan V

Aircraft
Piper Arrow/RAF2000
Total Flight Time
Tom, two easy ways. Ist, with a milti meter set to 12v dc and the load turned on (lites,radio,fuel gauge) place the meter pins to the both sides of a ground, like the gyros frame and the wire terminal. if any voltage is read this is where your circuit is breaking down. 2nd is to place meter in OHM mode and look for a high resistant connection across these same points, ie ground wire to frame, do this with the power off and battery disconnected and meter on its most sensitive OHM setting. In most cases you will see some corrosion on the connection giving you this trouble. I've also seen the bat pin connection going open within the harness connector. Easy to just wire around it.