Effects Of Rotor Contamination On Gyroplane Flight Performance

magknight

Aircraft
Cessna Skylane, AutoGyro Cavalon (Due in May), Arrowcopter AC20 (sold) / MTOSport (sold)
Total Flight Time
300+
It's been a while since I've read this. Good stuff for sure! Contaminated blades = 14% cruise reduction (requires higher engine RPM to make same speed, therefore lower economy) and 20% longer take off. CLEAN YOUR BLADES!

Makes me wonder if there is a solution for a coating that's less likely to let dust and bugs stick. If you "sealed" the blade surface in some way, would that produce better economy and performance? The data seems to indicate that it would.

Jean - Claude

Aircraft
I piloted gliders C800, Bijave, Castel 310, airplanes Piper J3, Jodel D117 and DR 220, Piper PA 28,
Total Flight Time
About 500 h (FW + ultra light)
This quantification of the speed loss due to contamination is probably overestimated.
It is based on two unverified points:
- The theoretical law Thrust vs Rpm, which only true when the propeller is strictly rigid
- The drag coefficient of the rotor blade section, wich only true in very low turbulence.

Considering that this work comes from the German Aerospace Center, it is rather disappointing.