Eagle R&D Contact

Alan_Cheatham

A friend who is currently taking helicopter training and trying to decide between a Mosquito or Helicycle has been calling Eagle R&D, both the factory and the office, without luck. Phone is not answered and messages are not replied to and apparently others are having the same problem.

Would anyone have any information as to the state of health of this company and why they are so hard to reach?

Last edited:

Alan_Cheatham

Then how is a prospective customer to get answers to questions. Their laid back approach is perceived as lack of support for their product and will in all likelihood cost them a sale to Innovator Technologies.

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Alan- I totally agree. I know of a few others that contacted me and ended up buying the Mosquito simply because of lack of enthusiasm going after thhe sale. Give me his phone number by PM and I will call Blake Monday morning. Let me see if I can help. In my stair business, when a potential client calls, I drop what I am doing and immediately get a face to face meeting to go over their stairway, with a quote within 24 hours. Eagle R&D need to pounce on every phone call. They have a beautiful product and I personally have had excellent after the sale service. Stan

Kan Kustom

Then how is a prospective customer to get answers to questions. Their laid back approach is perceived as lack of support for their product and will in all likelihood cost them a sale to Innovator Technologies.

From what I have heard,they are sold out on every production run.They probably figure if you dont have persistance or patience,someone else will.

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
My latest experience with Eagle R&D was when I needed to rebond an alternator magnet. I have the full story here in my Helicycle Hatchery thread. Anyway Blake overnighted to me their special magnet holding jig for me to use. Thought that was the way to be eager about your customer. I know they are going to be very busy developing production of turbine parts, but they should reply back promptly on each and every phone call. They have taken care of every need I have had very promptly, after I was flying. Stan

Kan Kustom

My latest experience with Eagle R&D was when I needed to rebond an alternator magnet. I have the full story here in my Helicycle Hatchery thread. Anyway Blake overnighted to me their special magnet holding jig for me to use. Thought that was the way to be eager about your customer. I know they are going to be very busy developing production of turbine parts, but they should reply back promptly on each and every phone call. They have taken care of every need I have had very promptly, after I was flying. Stan
BUSY is the key word. As I said, when you are so busy that you have to limit production runs which no one wants to do,you dont have time to wine and dine ALL of the prospective new ones.You probably dont have a real understanding of how many wannabe phone calls you get for the few real paying customers.I get around 4000 calls for every real sale.The guy calling always thinks why cant you answer my one little phone call.I am in the same spot that Eagle R&D is and is why I feel I understand their position.I care very much about everyone and would love to please even the wannabes but there is simply not enough time when you are a human to be the perfect babysitter.When something is short on availability it is not the time to throw your wejght around,you simply be polite and patient and persistant to win a spot.The impatient ones are just going to cause you more interuptions and greif when you already have enough on your plate.I have been in this spot many times on the realy exceptional products .Sounds like they take very good care of the customers they have already sold too as they should.If there was a problem here they would have to limit prduction further.

Alan_Cheatham

My friend finally made contact with the factory but the news was not good, apparently they are not taking orders at this time because of the severe lack of turbine engines.

B.J. should have continued to develop a piston engine alternative to the turbine, at least the Mosquito still has that as an option (with a rotary installation under development too)

It really doesn't make a difference how great the product is if you have no power plant your dead in the water.

laflyboy

Aircraft
2003 Helicycle Owner/Pilot & 1979 AA5B Tiger Co/Own & Pilot
Total Flight Time
1955 hrs
It is my understanding that they are currently working on producing their own turbine engine for the helicycle. They could easily offer a piston option, as they have all of the designs for mounting a hirth engine on it, you can also see several of the early videos of BJ flying one with the piston engine. The factory is wanting to continue with the turbine, because that is one of the big selling features of the helicycle.

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
The turbine is what sold me , and I made myself wait 5 years before ordering one so as most of the bugs to get worked out. Having flown mine now for 16 months, I still can't get over how smooth and quiet it is in the cabin, and how it has plenty of power on the hottest of days, gross weight with my big butt in it. But, I was aware that their stockpile of turbines was going to run out sometime in the next run. Blake told me he will be busy developing making turbine parts, how many I do not know. Doug Schwochert who had the ingenuity to install a turbine in a Helicycle now has installed a Yamaha in his. I have never talked to him about it, but my guess would be this to be another alternate engine choice for those wanting a more economical powerplant, and since they are running out of turbines, it may be the main powerplant of choice untill they have their own turbine. I feel fortunate to be flying such a smooth powerplant that supplies torque with one steady constant push instead of power pulses, its light weight and no cooling system except the air it breathes. It will be interesting to see how their progress with the turbine turns out. Stan

Last edited:

Alan_Cheatham

The last information I have is the Hirth installation was never fully perfected, there were still issues when the decision was made to switch over to the turbine.

Mention was made during the discussion of the factory making their own turbines but that appears to not be viable as the cost would sky rocket and take years to develop. What makes the turbine affordable for the Helicycle and Mosquito is they are surplus engines, new the price would be prohibitive to most. Surplus engines are very hard to come by now.

There's no doubt the turbine has many advantages in these small helicopters but until the supply problem is fixed some alternative must be developed otherwise companies that don't adapt will likely be gone.

bryancobb

Aircraft
Owned Brantly B-2b/Fly Kitfox III/Mini-500b
Total Flight Time
I've pondered lots of times...
...Could (2) MZ-202's be put in the Helicycle? It looks like to me that 120hp with multi-engine safety could be fairly cheap.

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Bryan- I myself would not want a screamin two stroke engine in a helicopter.....and then to have to have a pair of them both running to fly, you now would have twice the chance of an engine failure. The Yamaha engine looks to me to be the best alternate powerplant while they fill in the gap of time it takes to develope a turbine. I was in group 5 and that group and everyone before was sold out. I cant imagine them selling out with any other engine than a turbine. That is what makes the Helicycle in my opinion. Nice little compact powerplant of ample power....extremely smooth and quiet in the cabin. It just wouldnt be the same helicopter at all.

Stan

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Aircraft
2-place Air Command CLT SxS (project), & Twinstarr Autogyro
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
They could easily offer a piston option, as they have all of the designs for mounting a hirth engine on it,....
So.. It would be like a Flying AMF Harley?

No thanks.

bryancobb

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
I know Stan, but a NEW turbine for it is going to be ex-PEN-sive. I would guess, at least $50k just for the engine. It is definitely what makes the HC desirable. But...If Eagle's job is to build and sell the helicopter for a profit, there's a dead end coming soon, when the supply of surplus engines dries up.

I don't know about the availability of these Yamaha engines. I doubt the manufacturer will sell them to Eagle, new, especially if they know the application.

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Bryan- I hear you about the new turbine being expensive. Too bad they dont have 400 turbines left to get another 10 years production. Stan

bryancobb

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Do you know how many they still hold in reserve?

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Bryan- I just got off the phone with Blake, and had a lot of questions answered. I was impressed with what I heard, but there were some details I promised I would keep only to myself. One of my questions that I can freely share here was what about spare parts for MY turbine? Eagle R & D will be there to take care of their customers. They have many parts set aside for their customers. That said....if I ever come across a steal on a Solar T-62 turbine....I will grab it.

I am also free to say that the turbine is going to remain the engine for the Helicycle, and my idea of the Yamaha as being a temporary replacement was quickly denied. That was just my speculating, but I thought it had merit.

Stan

laflyboy

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
1955 hrs
They plan on keeping the cost down to the 10-15k range, maybe even less. Stan, I spoke to Doug a couple of times about the Yamaha engine, and he is currently fitting it with a turbo charger and fuel injection for extra power on hot days. If you go to helicycle web site and look up the you tube video of Homers fly-in this past summer, you can see Doug hovering it. You will also notice how quiet the engine is. I have personally thought that another good alternative would be a rotary 13b engine with all aluminum housing for less weight. The 2 rotor engine would easily produce 100+ hp with plenty of reserve power. I have a feeling that when Doug finished with the Yamaha engine, it will be a very good alternative for the helicycle. I agree with Bryan, if they are not able to get the cost down to a reasonable level compared to other experimentals, they will not sell. If they came out with a 2 seat version that didn't change the look very much, then that might help with the additional cost factor. Hopfully they will get it all figured out, in the mean time you and I can go fly our TURBINE helicycles.

laflyboy

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
1955 hrs
Stan, pm me your phone number so I can talk to you.

Thanks,

MH1FLYER

We Fix Legends!
Bryan- I just got off the phone with Blake, and had a lot of questions answered. I was impressed with what I heard, but there were some details I promised I would keep only to myself. One of my questions that I can freely share here was what about spare parts for MY turbine? Eagle R & D will be there to take care of their customers. They have many parts set aside for their customers. That said....if I ever come across a steal on a Solar T-62 turbine....I will grab it.

I am also free to say that the turbine is going to remain the engine for the Helicycle, and my idea of the Yamaha as being a temporary replacement was quickly denied. That was just my speculating, but I thought it had merit.

Stan
Stan
You mean this old video look at 7.08

Homer's 2011 - YouTube