EAA Seeks FAA Extension For Ultralight E-LSA Conversions

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Aircraft
2-place Air Command CLT SxS (project), & Twinstarr Autogyro
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/EAASeeksUltralightConversionExtension_196836-1.html

EAA has asked the FAA to extend its January 31 deadline to allow owners of ultralights more time to convert them to Experimental Light Sport Aircraft status.

The FAA has stated repeatedly that the final deadline would not be elastic, but EAA says that given the backlog of applications awaiting processing, an extension is necessary and justified.

"We were hoping that the backlog would start to shrink as we got into the fall, but that has not been the case," said EAA's Joe Norris. "An exemption would provide more time for FAA inspectors and Designated Airworthiness Representatives to deal with the volume."

The EAA has asked the FAA to allow owners of two-place, or "fat," ultralights who have submitted an application to the FAA on or before January 31, 2008, to complete the process, including issuance of an airworthiness certificate, beyond the deadline.

A backlog of applications has outpaced the ability of FAA inspectors and designated airworthiness representatives to perform inspections before the deadline, EAA says.

The required forms (FAA form 8050-1 & 8050-88A) are available at your local Flight Services District Office (FSDO). EAA also sells a kit with all the paperwork and instructions needed to complete the process.

Heron

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Golden Butterfly
Total Flight Time
7.5 h.
The process is a little bureaucratic to say the least.
When I sent in the application for ELSA, I should have gotten back a request for AWcertificate inspection that I should hand to the DAR.
Now the process of identifying the aircraft was double trouble with the DAR, it looked like we were not talking about a machine already registered and N numbered.
It took a lot of back and forth to find, contact and come to terms with a DAR.
He asked me questions I could not answer because of the lingo he used.
The should come from FAA, here is your N-number, here is your registration and here is your Certificate to be signed by the DAR. and here is a list of DAR´s in your neck of the woods.
Computers do wonders when the people behind them have heart and mind.
After one trip to where the machine is, the DAR had some stuff he wanted corrected and said there is no deadline, after you applied it will end with certification.
He ask for a taxi demo and voila . . .battery was dead!! (brand new from Wallmart)
Sometimes I have to take de lead and have no concerns about hurting feelings . . .get things done!!
Heron

gyroplanes

FAA DAR Gyropilot
Aircraft
(2) Air Commands, (1) Barnett, (1) Parsons modified 2 place, (1) Beechcraft Sundowner
Total Flight Time
I'd like to know where the "back log" is?

I just had an applicant send his N number request in for an ELSA airplane, the FAA turned it around in two weeks.

I've only been averaging one certification a week and I travel.

The FAA's stance is that we had 3 1/2 years to become compliant. If 3 1/2 years wasn't enough, how much more time would be?

I believe most people either said "screw it" or I'm not going to bother because it's too confusing.

In spite of being on the EAA's DAR list. I have never received a referral from them.