E-AB Question

JJ Campbell

I'm planning on using a builder-assist program to build an E-AB gyroplane. FAR 91.319 says in part:
(c) Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator in special operating limitations, no person may operate an aircraft that has an experimental certificate over a densely populated area or in a congested airway.
Since I live in Northern VA, densely populated is pretty much everywhere. How does this regulation translate to life in the real world of East-coast USA?

Also, do people really announce to the control tower that they are Experimental? I think, the tower is more interested in the plane's performance so something like Light Sport for a fixed-wing or Gyroplane for a Gyro, tells them all they need to know.

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
Ask your builder-assist provider to show you operating limitations from recent builds. They probably allow flight over congested areas provided adequate glide margin is maintained to allow landing without risk of damage to persons or property on the ground, something like that.

You're only required to say "experimental" in first contact with a tower. There's no reason not to do it legally. "Podunk, experimental 123GP is a gyroplane..." is legal and also gives an idea of the performance to be expected.

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Kitfox IV / F1 Rocket / Magni M-16 / Beech 18
Total Flight Time
500+
My E-AB operating limitations had some verbiage like that in the 40-hour Phase 1, but (I can't recall the exact wording) it was relaxed in Phase 2 to allow such.
Brian

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
Regarding FAR 91.319, every EAB aircraft has "special operating limitations." Whatever they say defines your limits.