Dynon Skyview

Rainman

Aircraft
Mooney M20K, AutoGyro Calidus
The Dynon Skyview has been pretty great in my 2013 Calidus. It worked great two days ago when I flew. Today I removed the cowls and changed the oil. When I fired up the gyro it started fine, but my screen looked like the photo, and with the engine turned off and the avionics switch off, there seemed to be no way to turn it off? Any advise would be welcomed. My plan is to remove the cowls and check any connections. I disconnected the screen multipin connector to turn the screen off. Thanks Ray
C475AC6F-085B-422C-86C2-59E31765C39C.jpeg

Looks like you've lost the data connection between the EMS and another system. I would check power and data connection to the sensor modules. Can't tell from the image what data is supposed to be shown on the left pane of the display.

The two “X’d” out areas are EMS and AHRS. Tomorrow A.M. I’ll removed the cowls and recheck the connections as I was pulling in some hoses/cables when moving the oil tank for draining. The oil tank on a Calidus can’t be drained without moving it due to the aux fuel tank. Ray

Ray, maybe a (safety-wired) drain on the bottom of the tank to facilitate draining w/o tank removal?
You don't remove the tank for every oil change do you?
Brian

Brian, as you will see from the photo, the tank needs to be loosened to access the drain. AG could have designed the tank better. The tank is removed every 100 hrs for cleaning. I change oil every 25 hours. I currently use 100LL fuel. When I loosened the tank, I apparently pulled on a connection. This morning I removed the cowls again and rechecked all of the connections nearby and rechecked the multipin connectors on the back of the Dynon. When recycled, the system worked. Thanks for the help.
Ray
1BF0F3EC-D253-40C9-80E2-457A855E7B4B.jpeg

Any particular reason you don't use ethanol free mogas? Not easily available? Oil changes only every 50 hours and a lot less deposits in the engine and tank. I've no been using Swift Fuel since it's now available at our airport. Oil stays remarkably clean, only need 100 hour oil changes.

I initially used premium auto fuel which deteriorated my fiberglass tanks like AutoGyro said it could. Once I got new hoses and tanks, I had to go to 100LL because there is no ethanol free high octane fuel at my airport (5C1) or in my town. I’m told that if I drive 35 miles, it can be found in San Antonio. Ray

Brian, as you will see from the photo, the tank needs to be loosened to access the drain. AG could have designed the tank better. The tank is removed every 100 hrs for cleaning. I change oil every 25 hours. I currently use 100LL fuel. When I loosened the tank, I apparently pulled on a connection. This morning I removed the cowls again and rechecked all of the connections nearby and rechecked the multipin connectors on the back of the Dynon. When recycled, the system worked. Thanks for the help.
Ray
View attachment 1148120

I'm surprised by the 25-h oil change interval and even more surprised by the removal of the tank every 100 hour for cleaning... Do you really find some dirt there...? I have never removed the oil tank in my gyro. It seems to me unnecessary, and an invitation for maintenance-induced-failures... It's just my opinion, of course...

When using the 100 LL......add some TCP or Marvelous Mystery Oil.....helps with the lead build up.

I used standard 91-octane (up to 10% ethyl alcohol) for over 15 years in my 912 with no issues.
Brian

I used standard 91-octane (up to 10% ethyl alcohol) for over 15 years in my 912 with no issues.
Brian

And I've been flying gyros powered by 4-stroke Rotaxes since 2006, always using 95 octane (Research) gasoline with 5% alcohol. Zero problems...

The oil tank gets removed and cleaned during he annual condition inspection. Since I fly the Calidus about 100 hours per year, it just works out. The leaded fuel does leave a little sludge in the oil tank and we change spark plugs also (they’re cheap). Many of my Magni friends have been using auto fuel with ethanol for years with no problems. The fiberglass tanks from AutoGyro, were/are susceptible to dissolution by ethanol. We did a whole thread about it. The photo below shows the old fuel tank coming apart and there was leaking. It was a very expensive and time consuming problem.
0994F4D1-45FB-479A-8465-ED858D11B629.jpeg