Dubai - WAG - Gyro down 9.12.15

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
News report says

Last edited:
It was a Dutch competitor flying the pylon course as part of the WAG. It is not yet clear what happened but whatever it was caused a total loss of control. The accident was widely seen and videoed. The gyroplane (MTO) hit the water vertically at high speed. The pilot was underwater for some time before rescue. He survived the accident but his current condition is not known.

Hi Will - thank you for the update.

Let's hope he recovers from this sport accident.

Very Sad.

Very Sad.

I find it sad how quickly we can go from having a lot of fun to not.

The pylon race does not seem to me to be close to the edge of the MTO Sport’s flight envelope.

I hope we will learn more about what happened and why.

Also was there and saw the gyro going in, as well as the ensuing rescue. All I can say is that if he survived then he was incredibly lucky. Let's hope he does.

The pylon race does not seem to me to be close to the edge of the MTO Sport’s flight envelope.
That all depends upon how one chooses to fly it!

Are the AutoGyro machines with the revised rotors still limited in allowable bank angles?

Aerobatic flight is prohibited under limitations in the MTO Sport POH and AutoGyro consider anything over sixty degrees of bank aerobatic flight.

That is why it is held out of states.He cant be sued in that place.Roy bring home the gold butt just coming home is better.

Wrong, It depends on the registry of the air craft not where it's operated

If it's manufactured in country of and registered of said country that's countries regulations prevail .

US registered = manufactures limitations as issued by FAA.
Europe registered = same as above - as issued by CAA
Any other country = same as above - as issued by their authority..

Like the Jap zero registered as a US experimental operated in Japan'
Maintained and operated in it's limitations as a US aircraft -
Japan had no jurisdiction.

Wrong, It depends on the registry of the air craft not where it's operated

With respect to its airworthiness you are correct. However, when I fly my gyro in Hungary, Austrian aurthorities do not have jursidiction over anything I do while flying the gyro over Hungarian state territory. Same goes for Dubai.

Now, the question of insurance is a different one again. But probably they have separate insurance covering these things at the WAG.

-- Chris.

Meanwhile.....................an update

Last edited:
The rest of the competition for the Gyros was canceled due to the Crash. just announced Roy Davis came in 3rd for the bronze. Congrats Roy!

Roy just posted this on facebook

Roy just posted this on facebook

here are the Results, to bad the crash stopped the Competition, I bet Roy could have won the gold.

Attachments

• WAG results.jpg
    WAG results.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 0
Congratulations to the Winner, another Dutchman, bet his victory is a little bit bitter sweet after the accident to his team mate and fellow Dutchman.

dont understand the results

dont understand the results

what does 1000 mean
and any reason for DSQ
was race 3 valid ?

Really nice crisp roll-outs in those pylon turns. Not a bit of uncertainty or wobbling in pitch or roll. Sharp pilot.