Drop Keel Revisited ????

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Air Command 503 & Air Command SxS /EJ2.5
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
I am rethinking my KB2 project....... I wanted to use the EA81 Subaru engine that wasn't strong enough for my 2 place.
I have everything I need to make it run & it is just sitting there collecting dust. I am just going to polish the frame & powder coat all the brackets.
So I bolted the frame together to see what the engine looks like on the frame. I was going to do a drop keel so the thrust line was good & so
it could spin the 68" Warp drive. The motor mount that I have for it was probably designed to spin a 52-26 2 blade prop ( which I have ). To use the Subaru with the Redrive & Warp prop, I would have to drop that rear keel, 12" !
If I leave the motor right where it is, I would also need a taller mast& longer control rods and so on and so on.......and a longer nose wheel.
I have a nice EA81 with electric start & direct drive prop. I am thinking that I should just put it together with the direct drive setup, & do something
else with the redrive engine (sell it ? )

Doesn't that sound much easier & less expensive ? A classic KB2 powered by Subaru ?

What do you all think ? I will snap some photos today.

Hi Chris,
I have a 2.3:1 psru for that EA81 if interested?
PM me.
Thanks

It sounds like he already has a redrive.

He was wondering about taking the one he has off and going with direct drive.

Rick

Thanks for all the feedback....here are those pics .....

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 5
Chris, why bother with direct drive? It will be a dog performance wise. A heavy low performance gyro, loud too. Drop the keel and make a nice machine.

What would be the best way to sell it ? With my 7K EA81 ? With the direct drive setup ?
With no engine at all ?

Ron, what size prop would you use if you went with the redrive ?

http://www.subarubrat.com/engine.htm

http://www.subarubrat.com/airscooby.htm

I got all the stuff to put together 2 real nice EA81's...... I am definitely gonna build this KB2 with a direct drive setup just so I can use all those pretty parts thjat I have accumulated over the years.

I am going to take some pictures of the stuff I have for the Direct drive engine.

Are there many single place machines out there flying direct drive EA81's ??

The wood prop for direct drive use is a Tennessee 52 x 26 . It is supoposed to be a perfect match for the EA 81. If you had the 100 hp EA81, I think they used a 52 x 28.

Does this sound about right ?

something like that. but you end up with a gyro thats a turd to fly, so why bother

The one I got is a 52x44.... I guess the difference is where the pitch measurement is taken? Might be 44" at half blade length and obviously less at the 3/4 distance?

My last one was 55x34 from this same manufacturer (was noisy):violin:

Attachments

• Prop 52x44 260914 2a.jpg
    Prop 52x44 260914 2a.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Prop 52x44 260914a.jpg
    Prop 52x44 260914a.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 2
That prop on your machine is the wrong direction for a sooby direct drive? That one is for VW or rotax direction? Or sooby with a gear box, but then you would want a 68" prop.... Direct drive soobies are anti clockwise when standing in the prop wash

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 0
It better be right ! I may have slapped it on there wrong.

Yes, I think you do have it on the wrong way.... whew!

have you tightened it up or is it only on loosely? I ask, because it is easy to wreck them by overtightening them.... I use 'Bellville washers' on wood props. They are a cupped spring washer so the wood can expand and contract with humidity without cracking or having the sandwich plate indent itself into the wood....

It was on loosely It is now wrapped back up & on the shelf.