Drinking and Driving over the Holidays

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
Did anyone notice that Randy Babbit, the asst. FAA director, has been charged with DUI. It's surprizing how quiet his arrest has been! Had it been just a regular old pilot the press would be screaming for blood...
Joe, where have you been looking? The story was on Aero News before Babbitt even told his bosses at the DOT. It's been all over the web. It was the subject of a joke in Jay Leno's monologue Monday on the Tonight Show.

Babbitt requested and was approved for a leave of absence Monday afternoon. Tuesday, he resigned. That's pretty quick for a guy who hasn't even had his day in court yet.

BTW, he wasn't an assistant director, he was the administrator, the #1 executive in the agency. Michael Huerta, the deputy administrator, has taken over. I suspect he'll serve through the next election at the least. Not much sense clogging up the US Senate with new confirmation hearings before the 2012 elections bring more change.

joe nelson

Aircraft
I have owned an AA-7B, Quad City Challenger, WAR P-47 and have flown several other type
Total Flight Time
12000hrs approx
I have bad memories of Babbit from his ALPA days, Paul. I just remember a young first officer who I was flying with that couldn't make his bills after Mr. Babbit assessed our wages for the Eastern Airline strike. This was after an artical in the ALPA magazine published the statement from an EAL pilot bragging about his strike benefits being so good he could spend his days on the beach recreating. My first officer couldn't feed his family and the EAL pilots are sucking up rays on the beach under Randy Babbits direction! In the end, both pilots were hurt by Babbit and EAL closed it's doors forever!

Sorry, I just cannot tolerate those who are p*ssing on my head while telling me it's raining. Mr. Babbit has to realize, what goes around will come around! Hopefully, a taste of his own medicine.

Last edited:

Trez

Aircraft
EAB 503 Powered UltraWhite-like Dom
Total Flight Time
25,000+
Sorry, I just cannot tolerate those who are p*ssing on my head while telling me it's raining. Mr. Babbit has to realize, what goes around will come around! Hopefully, a taste of his own medicine.
I'm with you Joe.
Lot's of friends with EAL - Miami.
I was National/Pan Am................:flame:

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
I have bad memories of Babbit from his ALPA days, Paul..
Understood, and his union past is part of what got him nominated by this administration. But it's not like his misdeed was getting buried by the media. In fact, the pervasive coverage probably removed any question that he'd have to resign ASAP to "take one for the team."

I was very impressed with Randy Babbitt when I first encountered him at Oshkosh in '09. But he campaigned against general aviation on a number of issues, and I'm not sad that he'll be replaced.

Thomas

Gold Member
Aircraft
Bell 47.204.205.206.212, Hiller 12a, Hughes 300.500, Sikorsky S76, Cessna 150.210.310
Total Flight Time
He took the BUS!!!

He took the BUS!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAHAHAHAHA hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Got me!!!!......................:boink:

joe nelson

Aircraft
I have owned an AA-7B, Quad City Challenger, WAR P-47 and have flown several other type
Total Flight Time
12000hrs approx
Paul,

He went quickly maybe because of his past. Will you report when his ticket gets pulled like every other pilot under his direction? Not even Fox News reported a full story of Babbit's history...just a crawler about his DUI arrest, no real report.