Dragon Wing history- early blades with rivets?

13brv3

Gold Member
Greetings,

I recall reading that the early Dragon Wings rotor blades had rivets on the trailing edge, and a project I picked up happens to have the riveted blades. I bought a Dominator kit about 15 years ago, and looking at my pictures, I can't see any rivets in those blades, so I'm thinking these must be even older. They do seem to be in good shape.

Does anyone know the history of why the early blades had rivets and later ones did not? Is there any reason to be concerned about the older riveted blades, assuming they're in good shape?

Thanks,
Rusty (collector of gyroplane parts)

gyrojake

Gyro Rehab Candidate
Aircraft
Gyroplanes
Total Flight Time
A few hours
They changed the type of adhesive to a more durable modern type.
The white stuff is the best, but because of price RFD went to the red stuff which works well at half the price.
With the new adhesives rivets were no longer necessary.
Riveted blades are just as durable as no rivets.

13brv3

Gold Member
Good to know. I had found a comment that said something about the earlier adhesive requiring a higher curing temp, but no mention of whether that was good or bad. I had sort of assumed the rivets were just a precaution until there was enough history with the adhesive to prove they weren't needed, but that was just my guess.

To be clear, you mention white and red. Which was used on riveted and non riveted?

Thanks,
Rusty