Don from Montana

Mtt407

Hello everyone. I'm a new guy to the forum. Privet pilot with +/- 900 hs. Single engine, land. HP, Retract, IFR with Tail Wheel and an acro endorsement in a Pitts S2B. Zero rotor time. Became interested in autogyros years ago with the Little Wing write up in Sport Aviation.
Thinking of building an EXP. autogyro but have not settled on a make / model.
I've built 3 EXP fixed wing. 2 plans built and 1 kit and have owned 2 certified aircraft.

Welcome to the Rotary Wing Forum Don.

I suspect you will find building a gyroplane kit much quicker and easier than building an airplane kit.

I recommend you getting lessons in as many different gyroplanes as possible before making a selection.

Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

It is not simply a matter of comparing specifications and applying it to your mission.

I found the things I enjoy most about flying a gyroplane were not what I expected and some of what I thought would be important were not.

If you can attend one of the larger gyroplane events you may be exposed to a variety of gyroplanes.

I wish you all the best on your gyroplane adventure.

Welcome to the Rotary Wing Forum Don.

I suspect you will find building a gyroplane kit much quicker and easier than building an airplane kit.

I recommend you getting lessons in as many different gyroplanes as possible before making a selection.

Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

It is not simply a matter of comparing specifications and applying it to your mission.

I found the things I enjoy most about flying a gyroplane were not what I expected and some of what I thought would be important were not.

If you can attend one of the larger gyroplane events you may be exposed to a variety of gyroplanes.

I wish you all the best on your gyroplane adventure.
Thanks Vance
Thats great advice.
My plan this summer is typ rating training in Idaho. That should decided where romance and reality meet.
Besides Oshkosh, where would I find a listing of larger gyroplane events.

Most of the Gyroplane events show up here on The Rotary Wing Forum.

The Popular Rotorcraft Assosiation puts on an annual convention in Mentone, Indiana August 3 through August 6.

The Ken Brock Freedom Fly In is September 23 through the 25 at El Mirage, CA.

There are always gyroplanes at AirVenture.

Carolina Barnstormers has 2 event per year in Wadesboro, NC one the Spring and one in the Fall. The next one is May 19-22 and is always advertised on this forum and Facebook.

Bensen Days is held at the end of March annually in Wauchula, FL. Here is the website: Bensen Days

The PRA Convention is August 3-6 in Mentone, IN as posted here PRA Annual Convention.

The Ken Brock Freedom Fly-in is held annually at the El Mirage Dry Lake, CA. It is listed in events on Facebook by PRA Chapter One for September 23-25

The Lone Star Rotorcraft Club host an annual event in October in Annahuac, TX. Details to follow on the groups Facebook Page.

The Wrens, GA Fall Fly-in is usually held in September.

Finally, PRA Chapter Two has held Rotors of the Rockies usually around June up in Utah. I could not find an event listed yet for this year.

"...Finally, PRA Chapter Two has held Rotors of the Rockies usually around June up in Utah. I could not find an event listed yet for this year."
The Utah chapter disbanded a few years back, due to only one or two members attending chapter meetings. Primary reason given was Utah passing a high liability insurance law requirement for all aviation flight activities.

The Utah chapter disbanded a few years back, due to only one or two members attending chapter meetings. Primary reason given was Utah passing a high liability insurance law requirement for all aviation flight activities.
thats unfortunate