Dominators with tundra tires?

AV8RDOUG

Any Dominators ever fitted with anything other than the standard wheel barrel tires? Tundra style tires for instance? Just curious about pros/cons as I've never seen a Dominator with anything different.

Doug Riley

Platinum Member
I've not heard of it or tried it. Two issues to watch are

(1) Extra parasite drag down low, where it tends to pull the nose down at high airspeeds.
As long as the high speed is in level flight, the throttle setting will be medium-high, powering up the H-stab and lessening the chance of drag-over. In a power-off dive, OTOH, the centered H-stab receives little propwash, and is noticeably less effective. That's when drag-over effects are most likely.

and

(2) The Dom's stub axles are made of rather light steel tubing. If the tundra is wider and its center sits farther out on the stub than the original 'barrow wheels, you'll be putting a higher bending load on those stubs. Replacing them is possible, but kind of a pain since they are welded in place and must be aligned in caster and camber while welding, then fine-tuned while heating them with a welding torch.

I don't know how severe either of these effects would be (other than the "kind of a pain" part). They're worth taking in account, though. Some safe experimenting before "committing aviation" would be wise.

C. Beaty

Gold Supporter
Years ago someone gave me a pair of wide tires (Cub?) that looked awful on skinny rims so I made up wooden patterns and had castings made for wide wheels, put then on my sorta Bensen and immediately realized that was a mistake; the increase of drag was was instantly obvious; back to my skinny wheelbarrow rims and skinny tires. Looks aren’t everything, even on a hobbycopter.

j bird

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Dominator/Airworthiness Certificate 9/06/12
Total Flight Time
26.5 duel,RAF,Sparrow-Hawk,Cavalon,Calidus.
I've not heard of it or tried it. Two issues to watch are

(1) Extra parasite drag down low, where it tends to pull the nose down at high airspeeds.
As long as the high speed is in level flight, the throttle setting will be medium-high, powering up the H-stab and lessening the chance of drag-over. In a power-off dive, OTOH, the centered H-stab receives little propwash, and is noticeably less effective. That's when drag-over effects are most likely.

and

(2) The Dom's stub axles are made of rather light steel tubing. If the tundra is wider and its center sits farther out on the stub than the original 'barrow wheels, you'll be putting a higher bending load on those stubs. Replacing them is possible, but kind of a pain since they are welded in place and must be aligned in caster and camber while welding, then fine-tuned while heating them with a welding torch.

I don't know how severe either of these effects would be (other than the "kind of a pain" part). They're worth taking in account, though. Some safe experimenting before "committing aviation" would be wise.
I read on the forum you could put a 5/8th" grade5 bolt through the axle to strengthen it.

mark biddle

This is my New Zealand built tandem, this is a standard set up down here. Pretty sure the tires are 5x600-6. Haven't noticed any weird flight anomaly, really good for rough surface and beach landings
IMG_0924-1.jpg

mark biddle

Not too sure about the axles as I don't know how the US dominators are set up. The seat tank holds 18.5 US gallons (70 litres).