Dominator rebuild

D-motor is still $$$ I love the concept of the flathead, low RPM direct drive....

How do you limit the charge rate?

How do you limit the charge rate?

Hi Scott,
I would like to follow your lead and install the same battery as you, however, how do you plan to limit the max charge rate of that Lithium battery to 10A?

What regulator do you plan to use with your 582?
Thanks!
Steven

Steven, I am currently using a Key West regulator rectifier, I did talk to several people using a very similar set up that have had years of good service with no issues.

I may be mistaken, but I did not think that the battery would charge at the max rate of 16 amps if it is fully charged, That is why I bought the trickle charger also.

I am not running any other electrical devices besides the Facet fuel pump, and the smoke pump that is just used intermittently.

All done and flying,

Attachments

• gyro2016.jpg
    gyro2016.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 57
She looks great Scott!

She looks great Scott!

I am always impressed with your attention to detail.

Thank you for sharing the fun.

Its been a long time coming really.... I have seen what Scott can do since I met him, and I always wondered why his Dominator didn't have the look it would have had, if Scott had put work into it... Now it does! Looks great Scott! And dang, the grass is still pretty green... Thought you guys had bermuda on the runway?

Looking Brilliant Scott.

Love the colours, Brilliant job

Paddy

Feels good to sit back and look at it now that it's finished, doesn't it? Be proud, you do great work. She a buet!

Its been a long time coming really.... I have seen what Scott can do since I met him, and I always wondered why his Dominator didn't have the look it would have had, if Scott had put work into it... Now it does! Looks great Scott! And dang, the grass is still pretty green... Thought you guys had bermuda on the runway?

Thanks Ron, I know I am capable of doing nice work, problem is that I hate to take a perfectly good flying gyro apart just for paint, then i got into the project and decided that I was going to do everything right and not cut any corners on the assembly, By cutting corners I mean not paying attention to the detail, not safety related,
So what should have been a 3 month repaint turned into a 9 month total rebuild, the only parts left from the original gyro are the steel parts, gear legs, wheels, seat, tail, engine mounts, rotorhead etc.
All new instruments, cables, engine, all aluminum on the frame, new tires and tubes, and the list goes on, I was too deep into it to get in a hurry, I sure did miss flying during the spring and fall. :(

Thanks for the comments, it does look better in person, and I will try to get some better pics posted, I have 8 hours on it now and it is flying great.

Now to finish the two place, the ultralight, and another with all the spare parts. :)

Really nothing different to add.....anybody can see it's your usual fine, fine work. It's probably safe to say that the majority of us would kill to have half the skills you have. I'm glad to hear that you're back up and flying. And hey, once you have a second machine up and running it won't be so hard to tear one of them down for some work.

Scott, this machine is absolutely gorgeous. Your craftsmanship really shows.

Oh yeah, I did put the smoker back on! :)

Thanks guys, I did have the intent to sell, but now am having second thoughts.... :D

Beautiful work , Scott !

Also, The lithium IRON does not have the problems with fire like the lithium ION two different animals here.

I'm not sure about that. Li-Fe-Po batteries produce some spectacular fires:

Fire Hazard of ... Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries

and more of it:

Last edited:
Li-Po and LifePO4 are two totally different technologies.

Lifepo4 and Lipo are both lithium chemistries, so technically they are both lithium polymer batteries. The difference is in the type of anodes and cathodes and the metals used inside.

Lifepo4 is lithium iron phosphate.

Lipo, commonly refers to lithium cobalt batteries.

Look it up.