Dominator plans

David Frye

I am looking for a set of single place Dominator gyro plans. I will pay new price for anyone willing to sell me theirs. I intend on buying the critical pieces from Rotor Flight Dynamics. I just want to see how complete and easy to follow these plans are. I don't want to just start buying parts and try to figure out how to put it together.

Welcome to the forum. David, if you are willing to pay the new price, why not buy them from Ernie, at Rotor Flight Dynamics? He does to my knowledge sell single place plans.

I just completed construction of a single place Dominator and I bought all of my major components from Ernie at Rotor Flight Dynamics.

Ernie told me that he could sell me plans but if I was buying components from him, I did not need plans. I only needed the assembly manual.

Ernie has a very nice assembly manual that will take you through the entire process. Even if you have never built a gyro before, you will find his manual very information and you will need little else to help you with assembly.

Contact Ernie and he will take care of you.

Ernie told me in a conversation once, that the "PLANS" build and his factory "Pre Drilled" or "Jig Welded" components, WILL NOT bolt together.
There are some other subtle differences also.
give Ernie a call.
You will not be able to take factory components and plans built items and just bolt them together.
This would make identification of Factory components or copycats "very" easy.

if you are buying the parts from RFD you will only need the construction manual to build a dominator, when finished you will own the best gyro on this planet you call earth.

Norm

David, by the time you buy your parts that you can't fab., You only need the manual to put it together, there are instructions for the parts you'll have to fab. in the manual.
Let me just add, building a Dom. from scratch, from a set of plans would be quite a undertaking, o.k. if you have the tools, time and resources. I know, I built one.

the plans will not save you any time or money, if you buy the parts from Ernie it will be the fastest and cheapest route to flying( after instruction) his manual is the way to go. I know from my own build.

I just exchanged e-mail with Ernie and he informed me that he is retired and no longer selling Dominator plans (I didn't ask, but assume that means parts, too), so it seems to be orphaned.

Does anyone have a set of plans and/or an assembly manual that I could purchase/copy/review?

Brian

So do you expect him to never retire? He’s 69 years old should he keep making parts until he’s in a wheel chair? WTF how about you work that long at your job. I think not. He offered it for sale for a long time and no one thought it was worth what he was asking. Why don’t your start your own gyro company? Then you can make parts in the nursing home cause my dad is going to enjoy his retirement.

Come on Mike, no one's bitching about your Pop, every one loves Ernie.

Well that person was told by my dad that he’s retired then he goes on here and says he left everyone an orphan. What should my response should be? Give me a break. My dad has worked his ass off making this sport safer for everyone then he gets accused of leaving everyone high and dry.

Geez....it’s just an expression....lighten up.

Jeez, Mike, you come off as being quite an ass.

Get this straight:
1) I called and e-mailed RFD seeking to buy plans.
2) The RFD website looks VERY much like the company is selling parts & plans.
3) I was not aware Ernie was retired until he told me (see #2). Good for him; I said zero negative about him retiring. YOU said that.
4) He said he is no longer selling plans, thus the term "orphaned" can be applied.
5) I never said anything at all about Ernie "leaving everyone high and dry", Again, YOU said that.
6) Reread the first sentence. You made up that crap.
7) Just looking for the plans, that's all. Cannot buy them from RFD, so I asked here. Jeez.
Brian

Every aircraft I've ever owned was an "orphan" design in the sense that factory support was already over or ended while I owned it (McCulloch J-2, Sikorsky S-52, Bell 47, Bôlkow Phoebus C, Air & Space 18A, etc.), but I liked them all. They still flew just fine. Businesses change or close and people move on. Heck, even I retired last year. No resentment toward the builders (they didn't stop because of me, and didn't owe me any obligation).

Anybody who owns a Saab, a Hummer, a Pontiac, an Oldsmobile, a Saturn, a Mercury, a Plymouth, a Rambler, a TVR, an Edsel, a DeSoto, a Studebaker, a Packard (I could go on . . .) knows the story. You might reach out farther for parts and service, but the world still turns.

Mike, why don't you take over your dad's business?

Hey Smack, I have an assembly manual you can copy, just let me know. Dominator single with pod.

I was contacted by multiple individuals who reached out to assist me and I want to publicly acknowledge their generosity.
The gyroplane world is relatively small and one of them privately told me "we need to help each other".
That is so true and their assistance restores my faith in most of us here.

Once again, I have sufficient documentation for my research requirements.
A big THANK YOU to those helpful individuals !
Brian